67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default master cylinder color

69 firebird master color? natural? or flat black with natural on the machined pad?.... Power disc brakes...

Old 09-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

cast iron gray

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Natural , spray a clear satin paint on it to keep if looking like new .

Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1969 Firebird master cylinders were black.

There's nothing wrong with leaving it natural cast gray (mine's that way), but they were originally black.

Pic from one of Dave A's show winning 69 Firebirds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug14$05.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	337330  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, I have to differ with you in that the original 309 "Squatty Boy" were not all black. I have the original from my TA never was black as well as all the 69 cars I have were not black.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, well, I never say never, but here's the evidence.

I've researched this through original road test pics. While these pics are b&w, there's one other item in those pictures that's natural cast color; the alternator. You can see quite clearly that the master cylinder is much darker than the alternator, almost matching the inner fender shade, while the alternator is much whiter.

This is also very apparent when you see original road test pics of GTO engine compartments, which used natural cast colored master cylinders. In all those photos, the GTO master cylinder closely matches the alternator.

I can vouch for Dave's two 69 Firebirds. They were painstakingly restored using all NOS parts, nothing repop. He spent years accumulating NOS parts, and his cars have been featured in HPP and HMM. His Birds have won top honors at national Pontiac shows.

Year One had detailed pics of their show winning 69 RAIV Bird in their catalog, and the m/c is black.

I believe Pontiac had their master cylinders painted black to eliminate any possibility of a line worker installing the wrong master cylinder. The Firebird's were unique on the assembly line, and had different internals than the Camaro.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Senior Chief

Mine is a T/A I was also told the master was black by a T/A guy in MI....Thanks Ron I do like the natural look myself....

Old 09-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went back thru my ol archives and I looked at an all original RA4 TA, and yes looks black to me but as I stated I have several that had the light rust coating no apparent black paint on at all. I will dig deeper into it.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, what you may be seeing is a rebuilt GM master cylinder. As the 1970's wore on, parts stores were getting in cores by the boatload. Back then, it wasn't uncommon for a parts store to have a refurbished master cylinder within 3-5 years of that model's production. Upon reconditioning, the first thing they did was bead blast the housing, which of course removed the paint. And of course there was no reason for the parts refurbishers to repaint the master cylinder.

From what I've seen, only original master cylinders were black.

In the case of Dave's cars (and a few of these other show stopping restos), they've located NOS master cylinders, or had their cores refurbished for points judging.

My master cylinder is natural too. It's a repop, and it looked so nice when I took it out of the box, I didn't have the heart to spray it black. I simply cleared it and called it a day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that the master cylinders were black. However, I disagree that it was a firebird only thing. I have seen original, untouched, low mile A-bodies with black MCs. They were painted to prevent rust, not to code them for a particular car. I think the black the factory used was a pretty thin coat and after 40+ years, these things rusted regardless. So if you MC is rusty, you may have to look really close to find any remnants of the black.

One detail item on these is that the surfaces where the lines screw in was machined after the MC was painted black, as these surfaces were bare. You can sort of see that in the picture of Dave's car.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct, and thank you! I didn't want to go into the whole A-body thing, because I wasn't quite sure about the earlier GTO's, or the single reservoir units, but they were black on the 1st Gen Birds.

Here's an original 1969 GTO RAIV pic, and you can see quite clearly the master cylinder was black.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	69 GTO Engine Hop Up 1970 (3).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	337349  

Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a restored one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brake Booster Restored.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	337356  

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Could the color difference between the alternator and the master cylinder in the black and white photos be because ones aluminum and the other is cast iron?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Schab View Post
Could the color difference between the alternator and the master cylinder in the black and white photos be because ones aluminum and the other is cast iron?
They would look different if comparing an unpainted master to an alternator, but that master in the old pic looks black to me.

Some may have come unpainted w/different factories, but that is hard to prove w/o a very early picture of a unpainted master.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Senior Chief

The Delco masters were all painted black. Open up an original Corvair hood (sealed cause it's the trunk), they are black.
It was a very cheap paint on a non-prepped part, so the paint lasts about 3 months or until the first time it gets hit with a hose. It's a rare original car that still has some flecks of black paint on the master. Even on a Corvair, the paint is mostly gone.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny they would paint them black when you are essentially filling them with paint remover!!