Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 PM

Default 63 V8 Torque Tube and Transaxle

SO.......
I was driving on the freeway a few days ago and the whole throttle/accelerator linkage broke off my carb and the motor got stuck on full throttle. I turned the car off to prevent the motor from blowing up, but I didn't think to put the transmission in neutral (I have the two speed transaxle). While I was breaking and slowing down from 100ish, the transmission decided to downshift at about 70-75ish, and boom, dumped trans fluid everywhere, and one of my bolts is gone, i don't know where it went.
I haven't gotten the car running again, taking this time to do a 4bbl conversion with a holley and a 64 gto 4bbl manifold, clean everything up under the hood, etc, but I have a feeling there might just be a teeeeeensy issue with the tranny when I go to fire it up and drive it next. whoopdy doo.

Long story short, I'm in the market for a new trans axle, preferably a three speed if someone has them for sale. I have everything for the two speed, will probably just need the transaxle, maybe the torque tube. If someone has the three speed i'll need the pedals and linkages and everything.

What is mostly a 74 Grand Am
455 / TH400
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So let me get this right Casey,,, the 63 326 car you just got running after it was sitting for 20 some years, may have blew the transmission when you were doing around 100 mph????? After the throttle linkage broke??

The trans probably did the down shift for a couple of reasons, first, it was still in gear,,,second, because the throttle linkage was stuck in the wide open throttle position. So as the car was slowing down, still in gear, you hit the max upshift speed & the trans downshifted. You may find it needs a lot more than a transmission. Did you check yet to see if it will start & run?? You probably have some major engine damage to contend with.

You say one of the bolts is gone??? What bolt & from where?

POCI.org
Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
So let me get this right Casey,,, the 63 326 car you just got running after it was sitting for 20 some years, may have blew the transmission when you were doing around 100 mph????? After the throttle linkage broke??

The trans probably did the down shift for a couple of reasons, first, it was still in gear,,,second, because the throttle linkage was stuck in the wide open throttle position. So as the car was slowing down, still in gear, you hit the max upshift speed & the trans downshifted. You may find it needs a lot more than a transmission. Did you check yet to see if it will start & run?? You probably have some major engine damage to contend with.

You say one of the bolts is gone??? What bolt & from where?
I was doing about 75 on the freeway when the linkage broke, I tried to lift it off the floor but it wouldn't help, in that time it accelerated to 100. That's when I turned the car off. I didn't think to take it out of gear until it downshifted, just honestly wasn't thinking about it. Kinda stressfull when you're doing tripple digits in a car gone fubar. I haven't yet, as far as I can tell nothing fell in the motor and it was doing about 4000rpm, so I don't think anything would be mechanically broken other than the throttle linkage. I can try tomorrow and see what it does, but I'm not sure how to do that with no throttle control?
and a bolt from the transpan is gone. Think was dumping trans fluid on the side of the road, on the tow truck, and now still dumping on my street

455 / TH400
Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I should be off around 3-3:30 tomorrow. Give me a call & will see if I can help/check it out.

Keith
602-315-8602

POCI.org
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
I should be off around 3-3:30 tomorrow. Give me a call & will see if I can help/check it out.

Keith
602-315-8602
Awesome Keith, I will.
I'm still waiting on a bunch of stuff I've ordered too so there's no rush if you can't. it's not going anywhere.

455 / TH400
Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Senior Chief

I think there's a loose nut behind the wheel....

Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Senior Chief

That would be scary... I had my ropeshaft break at 70 mph, didn't make a sound, but the engine started to rev higher, thought the trans was low on fluid. I coasted off the freeway and picked up the car later that night. So much for a "daily driver" now.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduners View Post
That would be scary... I had my ropeshaft break at 70 mph, didn't make a sound, but the engine started to rev higher, thought the trans was low on fluid. I coasted off the freeway and picked up the car later that night. So much for a "daily driver" now.
Well Sanduners, It's going to be a daily driver soon enough again. I'm picking up a 10 bolt out of a later 60s Lemans and the ST-10 out of my dad's z28. Gonna start collecting all the parts for a standard drivetrain conversion, it's just easier to find parts and to work on in the long run. It was my daily driver, and now my buddy's beach cruiser is, but the Lemans will live again soon!

Also taking the time to take the whole top end of the motor apart to clean everything up and make sure it's all OK.

455 / TH400
Old 09-07-2013, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had good luck with my 2 speed and ropeshaft. Have yet to break anything.

This was the case even when a prospective buyer on a test drive suddenly decided to slam the floor shift lever the wrong way, at 30mph, thinking he was downshifting when he actually shifted into reverse! The tires locked up and the engine stalled but nothing broke. Needless to say, I was not a happy passenger.

I think some degree of luck needs to be on your side.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Fixed the carb issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7850_560627027320056_1667715901_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	336165   Click image for larger version

Name:	969681_560540957328663_1929833801_n.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	336166   Click image for larger version

Name:	1185437_560627047320054_83332493_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	336167  

455 / TH400
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"I love the smell of 91 Octane Unleaded in the morning. Smells like victory!"

JK.

Car has PS and a fan shroud. Pretty sweet.

What color blue did you paint your intake? Get a can of Pontiac engine blue or even high temp black would look better.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
"I love the smell of 91 Octane Unleaded in the morning. Smells like victory!"

JK.

Car has PS and a fan shroud. Pretty sweet.

What color blue did you paint your intake? Get a can of Pontiac engine blue or even high temp black would look better.
I know, I know, I know, but autozone doesn't stock pontiac blue, and I'm on a college budget. When I clean up the whole motor and repaint it I'll use the correct blue

455 / TH400