THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Stepped over to the really dark side....

Here's my new driver for days when I need windows and a roof.

It's a '56 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan, completely refurbished about 20 years ago.

It's powered by a four-barrel 292, twisting a Fordomatic transmission. Its power steering option is not uncommon, but the four-way power seat and back-up lights are not often seen, and the factory seat belts, first offered in 1955, are ultra-rare. The car sold new in a small town 35 miles away and has less than 84K miles.

As you old-timers recall, every car I acquire seems to come with a story, and this one is no exception.

I fell in love with it almost three years ago when I was asked to appraise it, a '53 Ford Customline Club Sedan, and two '57 Ford Fairlane 500 four-door sedans. All had been sitting since their owner died in 2003.

The man's widow, the sole inheritor of the estate, wanted to dispose of the cars. Not only were they taking up needed space and slowly deteriorating, but she was constantly harangued by her ne'er-do-well son, who insisted his dad wanted him to have the cars.

After I worked up my market analysis on the cars, I asked about their titles, certain that she had them safely stored. When she proved unable to find them, I obtained the title info and learned that Sonny Boy had stolen them and transferred ownership to himself.

This miscreant might have pressed his case, but he made a gross and uncorrectable error in his perfidy. On each title, his father's signature was dated seven years after the man died.

Folks, in Texas that is falsification of a government document, a felony, and this dude did it not once, but four times. Thanks to my career in law enforcement, I was able to clearly explain the lady the exact steps and contact agencies to drop the hammer on the son.

As parents all too often are, she was hesitant to send her offspring to court and, probably, jail, so she frittered about it for nearly two years until Mr. Wonderful showed up with a wrecker and tried to physically remove the cars. Her new husband, with whom John Wayne would be happy to share a drink, prevented that from happening.

That finally provoked her to tell her man-child to sign the titles back to her or face the consequences. Three weeks later, he pulled in her driveway, stomped into her house, threw the titles on the kitchen table, stomped out, and screeched away.

About three weeks after that, I pulled into her driveway, backed up to her garage, and winched the car onto my trailer from its resting place of 10 years. Two days later, I found her a buyer for both the '57 Fairlane sedans, and, less than a month later, sent her a buyer for the '53 Ford.

I got the Fairlane on the road about two weeks later after going through the brake, fuel, and cooling systems and replacing the Sears Allstate 6.70-15 bias-ply wide whitewalls with Michelin radials. Dig the 1956 Texas license plates and the 1956 Texas inspection sticker in the passenger-side windshield corner.

I made only two changes to the Ford's stock configuration.

The Holley 4000 four-barrel, known both as the "teapot" and the "towering inferno" went to a friend who actually likes the things. I replaced it with a totally refurbished Carter WCFB. The stock radiator was going to turn into Swiss cheese the first time it got hot, so it went into the dumpster and was replaced by an exact-fit aluminum version from Auto City Classics.

I think - oh, the horror of it - I may have finally grown up. I sold my '67 GTO because I've just lost my jones for driving a high-horsepower four-speed and now prefer, instead, to hang my arm out the window and not get in a hurry.

I do remain a Pontiac owner - '67 Bonneville, '66 Executive, and '76 Ventura - and actually bought another Pontiac, the first in more than two years, about a month ago. It was a '94 Firebird Formula that had been sitting for 12 years, but I had just cleaned it up when a fellow Poncho Pate decided he had to have it and whipped me with green paper 'til I gave in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	335681   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	335682   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	335683   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	335684  

Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Very nice, How many miles are on it? My dad owned a 57 many years ago, Good find Bill.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW !! '56 Ford Club Sedan was the first car I ever owned. Beat the dog doodoo out of it on the street and strip. Ran in K/Stock with some success. Yours is one beautiful piece of iron. Just the pix bring back lots of great memories. And a great story to go with the car.
Thanks for posting.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool story, maybe it's time to write a book with all of these stories and photos. Seriously.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That car is still in great shape.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like that 56. It should do you proud whenever you cruise in her.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful!

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had to come back and take another look.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car, nice to see one in good condition that hasn't been chopped and dropped. If I had been 10-15 years younger I probably would have ended up into that generation of cars more than the ones I am into now.

When will people learn about titles? ;-) Sad commentary on the son that he and his dad couldn't agree on the cars and he felt he had to lie and steal. I may not have always seen eye to eye with my dad but I can't imagine being that much of a low life towards him and my mom.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what a stunning car! I love it.... I like the simplicity of lines and design, adds to the beauty! I also can relate to your comment about changing tastes aka growing up as you put it My old rules were hot cars never have AC, power windows, etc etc.... my new mystery car which I hope is shipped to me SOON has things I never could relate to: AC / tilt / power windows, highway gears and I really am excited to have a cruiser. So I can relate to what you say.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stunning car! Clean and had style. Brings back a lot of memories.

You done the lady good Bill. Be proud.

Charles

Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know where there are several, along with Victoria models, sitting in a barn in Clark Co., IN.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

great read as usual BILL, thanks. slash.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can dig it!

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for sharing another great tale of aquisition, Bill.
You have the Midas touch.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
Cool story, maybe it's time to write a book with all of these stories and photos. Seriously.
I might have to consider that if I slow down anytime soon. I'm 63 and still go from 10 AM each morning until 2 AM the next morning. The book I wish I had written would be a compilation of all the stories I amassed during 26 years in law enforcement. Many a twisted tale there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Thanks for sharing another great tale of aquisition, Bill.
You have the Midas touch.
Well, we've all heard of radar, and then there's "gaydar", but I think I must have some paranormal asset called "cardar". These old beauties just seem to materialize out of the mists of time as I go my merry vehicularly-obsessed way.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the looks of that car! Nice score. Trade ya a 74 455 powered wagon for it.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I drove my Dad's '56 Crown Vic when I was in high school in late 50's. Red and white. Gorgeous car.

I always liked the '56 Fairlane Club Sedan(s) in black. I think it makes them look "elegant".

Keep it looking the way it is, especially the hubcaps!

P.S. I like the YANKEE three-bar mirror which is period correct. I don't know if it is "factory" correct but my Dad's '56 Crown had dual ones. I found a pair of them at a flea market a few years ago. I bought both for $5. They are pitted but probably restorable.
They sit at the back of my workbench in the garage as a reminder of the good old days and my fondness for the '56 Fords.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Nice car and a great story. That son is some piece of work!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
Had to come back and take another look.

Jim
I did a double take myself. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet looking car!

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird