Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 PM

Default No back up lights 71 Lemans

I have no back up lights,changed bulbs/fuse where do i find back up switch on 71 Lemans w/ console? I'm guessing thats the next step.thanx

Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the switch is not on the shifter itself, look at the bottom of the steering column for a 2 wire connector to a switch.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On console equipped cars, the backup light switch is at the bottom of the column. There is a back drive linkage that connects the transmission detent lever to the column and then to the switch. When it is put in reverse, the linkage turns the switch and closes the circuit to the backup lights.

1. Its unplugged. Look for a 2-wires connector (Light Green, Pink)
2. You dont have the back drive linkage, or it is not functional
3. The switch must be adjusted.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

I could be wrong but doesn't the backup light switch at the bottom of the steering column also contain the park/neutral switch? If yes then there should be a total of 4 electrical terminals on the switch. Two for the backup lights and two for the park/neutral switch.

Also, if the backdrive linkage wasn't there or wasn't functional your backup light & park/neutral switch would have to be in the park/neutral position all the time. If it wasn't then the switch would be in the "drive" position and you wouldn't be able to crank/start the engine. A quick check to see if the backdrive linkage is connected is to move the floor shifter with your right hand while holding the lower bowl of the steering column with your left hand. The lower bowl is the outer part of the column just before it disappears into the dash. It should move in either direction as the shifter is moved.

If the lower bowl moves and the engine will crank when the floor shifter is in park as well as neutral then the switch should be adjusted correctly. However the backup light part of the switch may be not working or could possibly be disconnected. Also, if the backdrive linkage was out of adjustment you'd probably have problems getting the ignition lock cylinder to move to the "accessory" position as well as the "crank" position. Usually when that happens you also have trouble getting the lock cylinder to align correctly thus causing you problems getting the key out.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
I could be wrong but doesn't the backup light switch at the bottom of the steering column also contain the park/neutral switch? If yes then there should be a total of 4 electrical terminals on the switch. Two for the backup lights and two for the park/neutral switch.

Also, if the backdrive linkage wasn't there or wasn't functional your backup light & park/neutral switch would have to be in the park/neutral position all the time. If it wasn't then the switch would be in the "drive" position and you wouldn't be able to crank/start the engine. A quick check to see if the backdrive linkage is connected is to move the floor shifter with your right hand while holding the lower bowl of the steering column with your left hand. The lower bowl is the outer part of the column just before it disappears into the dash. It should move in either direction as the shifter is moved.

If the lower bowl moves and the engine will crank when the floor shifter is in park as well as neutral then the switch should be adjusted correctly. However the backup light part of the switch may be not working or could possibly be disconnected. Also, if the backdrive linkage was out of adjustment you'd probably have problems getting the ignition lock cylinder to move to the "accessory" position as well as the "crank" position. Usually when that happens you also have trouble getting the lock cylinder to align correctly thus causing you problems getting the key out.
pretty much, yes. i've seen a few over the years with either one or the other, but IIRC if it's an auto car 1969 and later, it has both NSS and reverse lights on that switch.

The NSS wires are heavy gauge purple with a square connector.

i've seen a few ingenious ways to get around/defeat that switch. one of my cars some prior owner hooked a toggle switch up for reverse, and i could never remember if they were on or not.

to the OP, you need to adjust the backdrive in conjunction with the shift cable in order to set the switch on the column. they are not mutually exclusive adjustments. the service manual outlines the procedure. one adjustment is found in the transmission section(i think), the other is in electrical.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Exclamation back up lights still not working/car wont start

finally had time to get to this. I installed new backdrive assembly and neutral safety switch. car started before installation but not anymore. battery is holding charge, i bench tested starter thats fine, i'm pretty sure backdrive linkage is adjusted correctly and i still have no reverse lights! any ideas what to check for?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:38 AM
Suspended

The starter switch may still be out of adjustment. The back drive you will know if it's adjusted correct if you turn on the key to the start position then move the shifter back & forth with someone in the back of the car & the backup lights come on when it is in the rev. spot. If they don't come on it's still not adjusted correct, it is very hard to get it right, it may take several trys to get it right. Once the lighs come on when they should you still have to adjust the starter switch, thats the switch mounted on the steering coloumn on the right side that has a long thin rod going to it. The rod in that switch is made to move up & down & if it's loose or not adjusted right the car won't start. They do come loose very easy if your down under there moving things. It has 2 small 1/4 inch screws that hold it in place & it doesn't have to move much for the car not to start. Check that out & we can go from there.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check for power at the back up lamp switch connector. If power is present jump the connector and see if the lights come on.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Automatic?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 PM

yes automatic/console shift