Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Default 455 Build Specs

Hi All,

I'm in the process of building my first Pontiac engine ever: a 455 for my 64 Lemans. I am using #62 heads (72 CC), zero decking the block and using a 30 cc dished piston to bring me to 9.51CR (according to the Wallace Racing CR calculator).

I have the Torker Plus Cam (#5057) and the Torker II intake. Before I spend any more money with Edelbrock getting their suggested valve springs, timing set, ect,

How streetable is this cam? I'll be running a 4-speed and I am not certain of the gear ratio in the rear end of the car. The specs say the power range is from 2500-6500rpm (not that I plan on going past say 5800).

I am looking to build a weekend cruiser, not a daily driver.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Senior Chief

My personal choice would be to use a dual plane intake instead of the single plane TorkerII. You will have a much better throttle response and you will feel the difference on the street. Any factory intake, Edelbrock Performer, or Performer RPM would be a far better choice, especially with that cam and your intended RPM range.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the best darned Pontiac site on the world wide interweb. That cam should be fine for the street, specs don't look too radical.

Ive used the E-Brock RPM and the Torker 2 on 455s. I couldn't tell any difference between the two on the street. The difference did show at the track as the T2 outperformed the RPM by .14 in the quarter. But as they like to say "Your results may vary".

I see you are in Tampa, whereabouts ?

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Torker II is a great intake, every dyno test I have seen on it showed it responding really well to an open spacer. That cam doesn't sound very radical at all, 224/234 on a 114 with a 4 speed will be no big deal.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
I see you are in Tampa, whereabouts ?

Jim
I just say Tampa since no one has heard of Dade City

I'll be scavenging Webster next weekend looking for more parts.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloPlayer View Post
I just say Tampa since no one has heard of Dade City

I'll be scavenging Webster next weekend looking for more parts.
It's been awhile but I used to go to the Dade City car show. Always some cool iron there.
Usually don't see a lot of Pontiac stuff at Webster but it's always worth a visit.
Good luck,

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Torker II is an excellent intake, but requires at least a 1" spacer to be effective, IMHO.

That cam is a great choice for what you are doing, but the intake isn't going to take full advantage of it. The specs are basically same as the Summit 2802 cam, it will be DONE making power in the big 455 by 5000rpm's.

The Torker II intake really doesn't start to show it's colors in a 455 till about 4400rpm's, and will rival the Victor intake in big HP applications using a spacer on it.

I would get the RPM instead, if you have the hood clearance for it? A stock iron intake would be my second choice.

As far as valve springs, the best springs for stock dimensions using stock retainers are the Crower 68404's (1.6" installed height). For 1.7" installed height get the 68405's. They provide additional running room for higher than stock lift cams, without too much spring pressure......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your motor will use the stock rods, you do not want to rev it to 5800 even if the cam made power up there which it will not.
5400 rpm with new good rod bolts and re-sized rods is a safe level.
With the stock flow level of the #62 heads your car will be much more happy on the street with the perfromer rpm manifold if your cars gearing turns out to be less than 3.55.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Connecting rods you are using as well as the rear gear would provide the missing pieces of the puzzle for folks here to give dead on advice. Post please.

Depending on gear, the RPM might be a better choice, but with sufficient gear, either work well on the street and track, especially with iron heads. I would lean more towards the T2 with steeper gears and ported heads, but that would be a personal preference.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If using a square bore carb (which the OP obviously will be if he plans to use a TII),then I can clearly understand why he may prefer the TII over another intake,as the TII is the only "street" intake available that has a dedicated square bore carb flange.

That makes for a much better carb gasket seal with square bore carbs vs. the dual pattern carb flanges that tend to be designed for best gasket sealing with a spread bore carb.

I dunno about anyone else,but till Edelbrock makes the RPM intake with a dedicated square bore carb flange,I know I have almost zero desire to use them.

That's because I prefer to use Holley carbs,simple as that,and as such I prefer intakes that have a true square bore carb flange,so for me the "go-to" intake is the TII hands down everytime,and what minimal difference there would be performance wise vs. another intake like an RPM or such,does'nt amount to a hill of beans to me,as that's mostly just splitting hairs.

As for the Torker plus cam,yeah that's more-or-less just a reboxed 744 cam.

It's an ok cam choice,not too far from my "entry level" cam choice for a build like this,which is something along the lines of the Crower #60243 cam or such.

Which is'nt really a ton of difference,so either cam will work ok for the most part.

With 455 cid & cams like these,it'll have an over-abundance of "bottom end" anyways,so the OP would likely never miss a few lb/ft off the lower end of the RPM scale by using the TII intake vs. another intake in a purely "street" (weekend cruiser) application like the OP says this would be.

Totally agree the Crower valvesprings get the win for a build like this.

Ask me,the OP needs to be worried about breaking his driveline hardware more than he needs to sweat his intake choice,LOL.

Good luck with this.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Connecting rods you are using as well as the rear gear would provide the missing pieces of the puzzle for folks here to give dead on advice. Post please.

Depending on gear, the RPM might be a better choice, but with sufficient gear, either work well on the street and track, especially with iron heads. I would lean more towards the T2 with steeper gears and ported heads, but that would be a personal preference.

Connecting rods: Eagle H-beam.
Rear end ratio: No clue. I need to spin and count.

It's was a straight 6 car so I am certain the rear will NOT take what the new drive line will deliver regardless of the gear ratio. It's all relative anyway as it can easily be changed. What rear end ratio's would work best with this combo?

I guess I was unclear; I already have the intake and cam. Along with the cam was a spec sheet from Edelbrock saying "use these components": Torker II Intake, 5757 Valve Springs and 7812 timing set, long tube headers.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
It's been awhile but I used to go to the Dade City car show. Always some cool iron there.
Usually don't see a lot of Pontiac stuff at Webster but it's always worth a visit.
Good luck,

Jim
I'm looking for a 4-speed bell housing and possibly a Muncie M-20. I had a '69 Camaro a few years back with the M-21 close ratio / 3.73 posi / 350 and loved driving around town. Wasn't so fond of 3500 rpm's going down the interstate though.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HaloPlayer: You have a PM.. Jim