Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Default smoke, and not the good kind

finally got to run the car at the track last weekend. I've got some work to do on my technique lol. my problem is that as I glanced in my rearview when my pass was over, I saw smoke from about half track on. and not tire smoke. the motor was completely rebuilt over the winter and I've put about 500 miles on it since spring. I reported this to my mechanic and he says that I may need to put breather tubes from the valve covers to the air cleaner and this would take care of it. I haven't had much faith in him but it's too late to look back now. anybody else ever have this issue? It only occurs when it is held at wide open for a length of time, not short bursts like stop light to stop light. I appreciate your input.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When at full throttle there is no vacuum for the PCV system to keep vacuum in the crankcase. That being said, it is normal to start building crankcase pressure when at full throttle. This pressure in turn, forces oil up past the rings and thus the smoke. Doing what he said could help you. If you are building excessive crankcase pressure, your rings may not be seated yet.

How did you break-in the engine?

Baby it around for the first few hundred miles or so?

Get on it hard right from the start, after initial cam break-in?

If you baby it for the first hundred miles, the cylinders can glaze up and the rings won't seal. You need cylinder pressure to force the rings into the cylinder wall to seat them good. This pressure comes from getting into the throttle. I'm not saying you need to go do some 6000 RPM burnouts, just don't be afraid to get on it.

If the car is being mostly raced, then you may want to invest in an evacuation system tied into the exhaust system. More on that later if you need to go that route.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was it blowing oil out somewhere on the exhaust?Many times the blow by pressure will push the dipstick tube up and oil will mist on the exhaust.A conventional PVC system should work fine with a vent tube from a valvecover to the breather.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
When at full throttle there is no vacuum for the PCV system to keep vacuum in the crankcase. That being said, it is normal to start building crankcase pressure when at full throttle. This pressure in turn, forces oil up past the rings and thus the smoke. Doing what he said could help you. If you are building excessive crankcase pressure, your rings may not be seated yet.

How did you break-in the engine?

Baby it around for the first few hundred miles or so?

Get on it hard right from the start, after initial cam break-in?

If you baby it for the first hundred miles, the cylinders can glaze up and the rings won't seal. You need cylinder pressure to force the rings into the cylinder wall to seat them good. This pressure comes from getting into the throttle. I'm not saying you need to go do some 6000 RPM burnouts, just don't be afraid to get on it.

If the car is being mostly raced, then you may want to invest in an evacuation system tied into the exhaust system. More on that later if you need to go that route.
Paul,

I was told many moons ago about a ring seating method and I would like your opinion on it.
I was told to get out on the road and at low speed in second gear you go heavy part throttle but not enough to spin the tires, until the normal shift point or at least 4500rpm and then let off the gas and let the revs come back down. Rinse and repeat at least a half dozen times and then drive it fairly hard for the first 500 miles. By driving hard I don't mean to spin the tires but accelerate hard at every chance without touching the red line. He also said not to drive long distances at light throttle that starting and stopping a bunch is your friend.

Karl

Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
Paul,

I was told many moons ago about a ring seating method and I would like your opinion on it.
I was told to get out on the road and at low speed in second gear you go heavy part throttle but not enough to spin the tires, until the normal shift point or at least 4500rpm and then let off the gas and let the revs come back down. Rinse and repeat at least a half dozen times and then drive it fairly hard for the first 500 miles. By driving hard I don't mean to spin the tires but accelerate hard at every chance without touching the red line. He also said not to drive long distances at light throttle that starting and stopping a bunch is your friend.

Karl

Exactly!

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nowhere near enough info to fathom a guess.

Is it white smoke,blue smoke,gray smoke?

Is it leaking anything that you know of?

Need full specs on the engine combo.

For example,if it had Eheads on it,they sometimes can hold too much oil up top.

Also,what sorta crankcase pressure control is in place,like OE valley pan or aftermarket valley pan w/PCV,breather set-up,yadda,yadda,yadda.

Also,what sorta valvestem seals is this using?

Carb set-up info would help too.

An underhood pic would'nt hurt either.

Gotta help us out here,as we dont have the car in front of us to see these things for ourselves.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wide open throttle with a stock PVC system manifold vacuum is very low, crankcase vacuum is high, so PVC valve is pulling crankcase vapors hard into the intake manifold. Opposite at idle with high manifold vacuum and the carb is pulling crankcase vapors through the valve cover into the air cleaner. Race car this does not apply.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM

ok, here goes:

455, bored .060
stock crank and rods
kb 9.75:1 pistons
crower cam
kauffman 87cc heads
edelbrock performer intake
holley 770 carb
k & n air filter
hei distributor
6al ignition box