Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 AM

Default MSD 6AL-2 Programmable Question

Does anybody know how programmable this MSD is? Is the timing control merely based on retard settings from a fixed timing set point or can you change every point of the timing curve including full advance. What I want to do is have the facility to change total advance from say 36 deg to 40 deg between runs without having the hassle of getting out the timing light all the time.
I already have a Crane Cams retard dial back switch but I want something more accurate.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know you can change the total timing with the MSD. Not sure if you can change each point on the curve.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know about the 6 series but with my 7531 I can create the whole curve.....dot to dot on a graph display....I don't use it but it is available. Comes in handy for high power small tire cars....

I would call MSD....they have a lot a new chit out !!!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM

If you can plot the whole curve what do you use as the datum? TDC or max advance? I could ring MDS but I was hoping for some real world experience, I always find that Tech sales just tell you what you want to hear.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A mate of mine uses one on his blown SBC and yes you can programme in a curve and change the amount of advance/total timing you want in between runs ,using a laptop of course.. If I remember correctly, he locks the dizzy and puts in the max amount of timing advance that he wants(say 36 degrees), then pulls out 20 degrees or so as a start retard,then that advances back to his full timing above a certain rpm. Timing is then pulled out(in his case) through boost,but you can pull the timing by rpm and I believe time. You can pull/advance timing anywhere along the timing curve you set in the box. Very similar to a 7531 but without the datalog calabilities/slew control and a few other features.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM

I have one. Locked out the distributor and set it to full advance with timing light. From there you use a retard curve to set timing. Example: my total is set at 30 and I run 16 initial so I have 14 degrees of retard from 0 rpm until 1200 rpm. From there you set points on the graph and the line will follow them.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOUK View Post
Does anybody know how programmable this MSD is? Is the timing control merely based on retard settings from a fixed timing set point or can you change every point of the timing curve including full advance. What I want to do is have the facility to change total advance from say 36 deg to 40 deg between runs without having the hassle of getting out the timing light all the time.
I already have a Crane Cams retard dial back switch but I want something more accurate.

If you decide to get one of these I have one F/S on this board here is the link: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=713804