Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone into the Datsun Z cars?

A neighborhood kid talked me out of my '68 VW Bug the other day. Must have been fate as an '80 Datsun Zx found me the very next day. It's in great shape for what it is and runs really strong.
Just wondering if anyone here was into them, best forums for info, that kind of stuff.
This is actually my third one but it's been 25 years or more since my last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0083.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	329609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0085.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	329610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0084.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	329611  

Old 07-13-2013, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

WOW, rust normally ate these pretty quick but this one looks great!

Congrats Greg

Old 07-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive owned several in past years but most will say the Z died when it became a ZX
I wasnt too fond of the massive bumpers on the 75 and newer but the drivetrains got better and better.
I still have some Z parts but doubt they will work on a ZX.
do yourself a favor and replace the rubber fuel hoses before they split and start a fire.
Use good high pressure FI hose.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was never a fan of the second gen Z cars either and I'd still take a first gen over this one in a heartbeat...but it's growing on me. My first was a '73 240 and it's still my favorite of the three.
Yeah, rust is a BIG issue with the Datsuns. I was amazed at this one and really just couldn't pass it up. I like unmolested cars. Still has the factory sound system, space saver spare...pretty much everything is in place and everything works except the AC, the horn and the clock. The only mods I've found were the exhaust and a KN cone filter/intake. It has a 3-2-1 header and no cat with performance muffler. An 18 year old kid had it and he kept every single receipt. I must say that he did good work and a good job of keeping mostly everything stock.
Like I said, it was almost 'meant to be'. I sold my VW and that very night, I saw this one on Craigslist just 15 miles from here with lots of "OBO!!! and Must sell!!!" scattered through the ad.... I got it for $2300.....$200 less than I sold the VW for.
I couldn't pass that up.
I hear you on the fuel hoses Cammer. I've lost one car to fire already so I'm very conscious of the dangers of 'fire hoses'.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

my first was a 73 auto
wasnt as much "fun" as a 4 speed but after some suspension work it handled pretty good.
First mod was desmogging and rejetting the POS carbs that 73s had.
All in all Ive had 72,73,74 2+2,77.
Enjoy while its still in one piece.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NIce find Greg! I love all the Z's. Never owned one but sure would like to have one in my stable. Thats if I had a stable LOL.

I haven't seen one in years around here. I would assume there may be a few more lingering around in your area.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, @ 'enjoy it while it's still in one piece'... In that regard, I just plan to maintain it, not restore it.
As for auto vs. manual, I just have no interest these cars if they are not manual shifts.

Thanks Paul...They are not exactly plentiful around here but nowhere near rare. I can see why they would be rare up there. The way these things rust, I would imagine 4 or 5 years up there wouldn't leave enough of one of these cars to make decent scrap.
As far as I can tell, this one spent it's life between here and South Carolina. It was also undercoated which I generally don't like but it was a good move on this car. The floors are in great shape.
The only real rust is at the top of the windshield, the front edge of the hood and between the lower rear corner of the door and the wheel opening. None of them are extreme or more than a few square inches. but will need to be cut out at some point.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Suspended

I love Zs. But I can't have one. High school kids do like them still. HybridZ.org I believe is one of the remaining ones. There was Zcar.com too.

I like the turbo ZX, though. If I found an NA with the right condition and money, I'd flip it though. I spent a long time looking for a certain 1979 manual transmission ZX that is said to have a super rare gear ratio. It's been ages since I was looking and I don't remember why I was wanting it but I believe it's the 4 spd version that had a different rear gear. Maybe it was a 3.36:1 R200? I never found one and if I didn't find it, it probably wasn't around anymore. I still have a parts car Z and some parts.

My first was an original 1970 built in 1969. My last was probably this 88 turbo. I drove it for a yr or so and sold it for $1000 profit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300-2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	329726  

Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a nice one Doug. I've been looking at forums and there appear to be a lot of them. Generally, I find them by searching for solutions to problems. Over a period of time, one or two start to stand out above the others.
I'd still like to find another first gen. Don't know how long I'll keep this one. The fact that my wife insisted on driving it yesterday is disturbing.
I've got some plans for this one-
Fix the brakes
Replace or treat the rusty metal
Black out the tailpanel between the lights
Polish the wheels and paint those gold looking centers black
Drive it.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
That's a nice one Doug. I've been looking at forums and there appear to be a lot of them. Generally, I find them by searching for solutions to problems. Over a period of time, one or two start to stand out above the others.
I'd still like to find another first gen. Don't know how long I'll keep this one. The fact that my wife insisted on driving it yesterday is disturbing.
I've got some plans for this one-
Fix the brakes
Replace or treat the rusty metal
Black out the tailpanel between the lights
Polish the wheels and paint those gold looking centers black
Drive it.
Put new front struts and rear coils and shocks. Handling is what these cars were all about.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Put new front struts and rear coils and shocks. Handling is what these cars were all about.
I couldn't swear to it but it appears to already have new shocks and coils..Not sure about the struts. The shocks are bright blue and clean, the coils are bright red and likewise. The car handles really well. The only driving problem is the brakes and I haven't figured out what's going on there. Stops very well but way too much pedal travel. e-brake won't tighten enough either. Might have the rotors turned and see what happens.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-14-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 PM

In 82, while going to Valdosta State College, I bought a 76 Z car. It was British racing green, white interior, black rear window louvers, spoke wheels and a 4 speed manual. I actually sold my first GTO, a 68 convert to buy some Eagle GT tires for it! I had lots of good times with that car, up and down the east coast and out to Colorado for 5 months. It never missed a beat putting over 60k on it in a relatively short time. Your Z car looks real clean and a good find indeed. Enjoy!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are pretty cool cars, I technically still own the one I bought my ex for a wedding present. 82 280ZX Turbo, nice car but the turbo has never been right on that car.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 AM

clean looking car Greg. my son you met when we were at your house is in to 280s and 300z cars I will ask him later what sites he goes to and get back with you. he's also getting ready to strip/scrap a 280zx if you need some parts.

Craig

Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I was never a fan of the second gen Z cars either and I'd still take a first gen over this one in a heartbeat...but it's growing on me.
I was going to say - "Z guys" usually hate the 260s and 280s. Especially the 1980's 280.

One of my uncles had several 240s in the late 70's/early 80's. When he came to visit, he'd always insist on driving out to death valley in the summer - and be surprised when the car died on him.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My girl friend had a 280Z in the early eighties. It was fuel injected and it ran hard and fast, it even had ice cold air. That car was a blast! My sister had a the first gen 280ZX and that car was cool too. But the 280Z was way more fun and was more business; the ZX was a little more luxury. Gotta watch that frame rail just behind the frt tire, they always got crushed from lifts and jacks! Spread the load.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars

Last edited by FrankieT/A; 07-15-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a friend that swapped a small block Chevy into his 260-very quick even with a relatively mild (350 hp)small block.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cdavis3 View Post
clean looking car Greg. my son you met when we were at your house is in to 280s and 300z cars I will ask him later what sites he goes to and get back with you. he's also getting ready to strip/scrap a 280zx if you need some parts.

Craig
Yep, maybe I'll trade him a '68 bumper for something and he can sell it to his brother...lol.
One thing you can ask him is how to get the windshield trim off. I can't figure it out and I don't want to bend it. I need to get to some rust at the top of the windshield.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting anecdotes fellas. They really are fun cars to drive, especially the first gen ones. They are true sports cars...like big toys... whereas 2nd gen cars like this one are more GT cars.
It is fun to have something drivable to play with while my '68 is in the paint shop.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if the trim is like all the 1st gens you carefully remove the stainless insert with dull putty knife , sharpened Popsicle stick or paint stirrer sticks.
Then have a friend help on inside by putting pressure on glass in an upper corner while you start to peel back the rubber.
Be careful and you can reuse the rubber if its cleaned and lubed good. Use a clothes line to reinstall.