Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Medical insurance. How can I contact someone about them not paying for my test?

I had some test done and the way the office coded the bill to the insurance company left me with more to pay than I think I should. The Insurance company basically said all they can do is go by the code on the bill and the medical office seems to be impossible to get someone to explain things. So is there someone outside these places to call or at least threaten to call to see if this will help them to listen and possible explain/straighten this out? Any other ideas?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

State insurance commissioner.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I once had a test that wasn't covered and I asked why. Explanation- test was done by a machine and not a human. I went nuts and asked what tests are not done using a machine? X-rays? cat scans? blood tests mammy grams etc. Did me no good still had to pay and things are only going to get worse. I can't find a real doctor anymore, only groups of medical degree holders owned by the hospitals or insurance companys or both.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Call your local TV station, they may have a consumer reporter that could help?

TOM
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could start by telling the accounts receivable Dept. at the medical office that you are not going to pay the bill unless they explain themselves or re-code & re-submit the bill. If it is wrong or nobody will explain it to you, you can make them take you to court to collect, and you can explain to the judge why you have not paid etc.

Sucky way to do business, but your main power lies in the purse. Courts may be sympathetic if they see repeated cases where people can not get answers, are routinely overcharged or ripped off due to negligence or incompetence. Deadbeats appear to rule the day, so we have to go with that.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My daughter is a coder for a large hospital. I've been told that the same procedure requires different codes for certain ins. companies. They are trained to get the maximum amount per claim by submitting the proper code sequence that is recognized by each company.
Failing to do that can result in a lesser payment or no payment/denial by the company, so yes, you should contact the head of the billing department if you feel you have been wronged by the process.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
My daughter is a coder for a large hospital. I've been told that the same procedure requires different codes for certain ins. companies. They are trained to get the maximum amount per claim by submitting the proper code sequence that is recognized by each company.
Failing to do that can result in a lesser payment or no payment/denial by the company, so yes, you should contact the head of the billing department if you feel you have been wronged by the process.
Hmmm, that is interesting.....and illegal. Procedure codes are used to define the type of procedure done. If a provider is coding the same procedure differently to increase their reimbursement, they are committing insurance fraud.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No it is not illegal. Read it again. They are not billing for anything they did not do, they are submitting the codes that are recognized by that individual insurance company to get them the proper payment in return.

Example; let's pretend that there is a code EF9D4 that means toe nail removal involving left big toe and that is what Ins. Co. "X" requires.
And let's say code RR41Y is required by Ins. Co. "X" for the same procedure involving stitches, and it pays $75 more. If the patient got stitches and Ins. Co, "X" was billed for EF9D4, who do you think pays the additional $75?

And to complicate matters, Ins. Co. "J" may not recognize either code for those procedures.

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 06-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM

i'm dealing with this same thing . It's like you are dealing with idiots ! neither the doctors office or the ins. co. will work with you get it straitened out . In my case it's a lab that is in the doctors office that did the test (severial blood test). A seperate intatie billing me for something the doctor ordered and was billed by the doctors office to the ins.co.,and the ins. refused payment because they were routine test . Now I have a collection agency threatening me over something that should have been covered . Can't wait till Obama Care kicks in and the Gov. is handling our health care !

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben T. View Post
i'm dealing with this same thing . It's like you are dealing with idiots ! neither the doctors office or the ins. co. will work with you get it straitened out . In my case it's a lab that is in the doctors office that did the test (severial blood test). A seperate intatie billing me for something the doctor ordered and was billed by the doctors office to the ins.co.,and the ins. refused payment because they were routine test . Now I have a collection agency threatening me over something that should have been covered . Can't wait till Obama Care kicks in and the Gov. is handling our health care !
Under Obama Care it is going to get worse.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I call it UNSURANCE now

Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried contacting the medical office today about the bill but had to leave a message, they did not call back so I am hoping they will call me tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It happens often, just rag them until they code it correctly. All the "burger flippers" displaced by the TSA idiots moved on to the insurance industry.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
No it is not illegal. Read it again. They are not billing for anything they did not do, they are submitting the codes that are recognized by that individual insurance company to get them the proper payment in return.

Example; let's pretend that there is a code EF9D4 that means toe nail removal involving left big toe and that is what Ins. Co. "X" requires.
And let's say code RR41Y is required by Ins. Co. "X" for the same procedure involving stitches, and it pays $75 more. If the patient got stitches and Ins. Co, "X" was billed for EF9D4, who do you think pays the additional $75?

And to complicate matters, Ins. Co. "J" may not recognize either code for those procedures.
Ok, I understand the first part, but, all companies should be using the same nationally standardized codes. I though you were saying the the provider is trying to maximize thier reimbursement by assigning a different code off of the same nationally standardized list depending on what an insurer will pay.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben T. View Post
Check your policy benefits. Often times a routine visit is covered at 100% but lab work is not. If your out-of-pocket is not satisfied, it is probably just going toward that.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Call your insurance carrier and ask for a copy of your "SPD" (Summary plan description). This is the document that details EXACTLY what your policy will and will not cover.
This is something that the representative might not even know about, if they do their tone will change real quick.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Medical office had not called me back as of noon today so I called my insurance company and they explained that there was a second bill I would be responsible for also and it was for the same amount as the other one but they said they were definitely different bills. After explaining that I thought this was a duplicate of the first and that it was supposed to be covered I asked if I could contact the State insurance commissioner and they asked what I was trying to find out and I told them I wanted the medical office billing dept to explain to me the second bill and why they were not covered. My insurance company promptly offered to call the medical office while I was on the phone and I was able to talk to both of them and was told that it was a duplicate bill and it was supposed to be paid by my insurance. We will see if it works out.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 PM

Ask any Canadian about their wonderful goverment health insurance !!!!!!!!!!