Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
At Milan, I was standing at the left rear quarter of the car when he did the burnout. From my really excellent vantage point, I saw the burnout start out normally, then the car makes a sudden, hard move to the left and Arnie reeled it back in without hitting anything. The sudden violent move is typical of a traction problem; not a driver input problem.

FWIW,
Eric
Like I said earlier in a post, Steve Grebeck was killed due to a TRACTION PROBLEM.
Like Rodney and others have said, the car moves around when traction goes away or is returned. Milan has never been known for outstanding track prep, period. Even at the high dollar Super Ford events. So blame it on something else, GEORGE, vs Arnie being over 80 years old and unable in your opinion to drive a car safely at Milan.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I choose to believe George and others are genuinely concerned about Arnie and just don't want him or anyone else to get hurt....... But there is no evidence in watching Arnie in person or on video to suggest he has any type of diminished ability. We all know as well as Arnie that some day he will have to stop driving. We all will face that some day. I can only say again that he has "cat like" reflexes, to the point of being almost surreal. When he has a great run even today, he climbs out of the car at the end of the track like a 20 year old and bounces around like it was his first run ever. It is still an amazing thing to see. If there is anyone on this board who hasn't seen him run in person, or it has been a long time, do yourself a favor and go see the master in action this year.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Tom,
You are an idiot I never said Arnie couldn't drive. Read my post before you run your key board!

GTP George

Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to warriors revenge

it would be better if some people gave up their computers than their race cars

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not going to get into the debate on whether he should stop racing.

But there is one thing that should be brought out.

Any sanctioned track that I know, does not let a wrecked car proceed with the run.
Most say that one should stop immediately to lessen any damage or spillage on the track.

Let alone backing up and having an official track personnel tell you to shut it off 100' or more away from starting line.

Then keep backing up and having more people tell you to shut it off till you get to the starting line.

The driver has no idea who may be coming down the track behind him to assess the damage/situation.

Neglecting their directives is grounds for being kicked out of the track every where I know.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arnie-backingup-5-13.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	324088  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Boost Engineer

George, why don't you read all of the posts including mine?

I said Arnie has made bad decisions at times (as have we all). Go back and read that statement, it is there in the thread.

Backing up at high speed may be a bad decision for many, Arnie has gotten away with it for years, luck, skill, who knows. probably a combination of a lot of things.

Once in a while the luck is not there. like running over the Christmas tree at Norwalk.

Not an idiot, I post the truth. You have your agenda, I have no agenda. I will say that Arnie has more Driving Skill in his big toe than you have in your whole body.

Now before you get all uppity about that comment, I will explain it. Arnie has been down the track so many times he can literally drive out of a bad situation with his right foot that would crash other people. But also like I said, even that skill does not eliminate bad luck. He had some bad luck at Cordova.

As far as John's comment, I agree totally. If the Track Guys says shut it off, shut it off.
PERIOD! NO EXCEPTIONS for a Hero of the Pontiac World. No grace period in time.
SHUT IT OFF! (Again another example of a "Bad Decision")

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Region warrior,
You really need to read my post better. I have said NOTHING bad or incorrect about Arnie, now there were at least 4 to 5 other members that have said worse about him (don't make me out to be the bad guy). Basically I said if its time it's time ..........only his friends and he would know and YES at 80 his reactions & reflexes are not as good as someone half his age, sorry to disappoint you. Arnie is a GREAT Pontiac icon BUT he is not a God, he is only HUMAN! I have changed my trans brake button position twice in the last few years because of age and I played sports all my life...... It's called getting old, damn I hate that word!!

GTO George
Got me mixed up with someone else?....

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
It happens to alot of younger experienced guys.
Most time when one or both tires get good grip while rpm still high.
The more power, the more things like that can go wrong.
This is only thing i posted George.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Boost Engineer

George gets mixed up a lot Mike, I just roll with it.

"YES at 80 his reactions & reflexes are not as good as someone half his age"

I do not agree that all younger people (at half Arnie's age) will have faster reflexes vs Arnie either. An 80+ year old person. It depends on many things, where do you start the comparison? So with such a general statement, it is basically meaningless.

Tom Vaught

Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I'm not saying anything about the old guys.

Willard Kinzer from Kentucky at 85 is still kicking a$$ with the best of them in the Drag Radial classes.

Arnie probably runs on muscle memory as much as anything, him being on the track is like most of us just breathing, all habit.

Old Racers Rock!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Default arnie

I am going to insert my opinion once more than I think I am done with this topic, I think we all like, love, admire and respect Arnie for all he has done for drag racing and Pontiacs in particular. I hope he can race another 80 years as long as he can do it safely as I don't want to see Arnie or anybody else get hurt or killed because someone did not know when to quit, I am not saying that is the case with Arnie because I just watch from a distance and most of you are much closer to whats really going on so you would know far better than me, it does seem to me like these incidents or bad decisions are happening more frequently in recent years and I would love to see Arnie retire on HIS terms and on HIS time table and not because of a bad decision. he is a hero to all of us and nobody wants to see it end in a bad way.......so with that I say race on Arnie, be wise, be safe and very few have done it the way you have !!!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Ok, I was wrong and apoligize to Region Warrior I did get your PY name mixed up with Warriors Revenge..........come on, give me a break, they're kinda close.

Tom, you said I have an agenda.......what agenda do I have? I sure would like to know. I said he had an incident at Milan (he did, I was there). I also said that if its time to hang up his driving gloves only he and his friends would know ( I sure don't, I never met the guy). As for his reflexes at 80 something, I'll stand by what I said. That doesn't mean he can't drive, it means exactly what I typed, nothing more or nothing less.

GTO George

Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott woodmancy View Post
I am going to insert my opinion once more than I think I am done with this topic, I think we all like, love, admire and respect Arnie for all he has done for drag racing and Pontiacs in particular. I hope he can race another 80 years as long as he can do it safely as I don't want to see Arnie or anybody else get hurt or killed because someone did not know when to quit, I am not saying that is the case with Arnie because I just watch from a distance and most of you are much closer to whats really going on so you would know far better than me, it does seem to me like these incidents or bad decisions are happening more frequently in recent years and I would love to see Arnie retire on HIS terms and on HIS time table and not because of a bad decision. he is a hero to all of us and nobody wants to see it end in a bad way.......so with that I say race on Arnie, be wise, be safe and very few have done it the way you have !!!
X 2. Over and out

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components

Last edited by adam woodmancy; 05-24-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NBD George, just make'n sure didn't frag ya by accident lol...

Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Well we have beat this Driving Skill "mountain out of a mole hill" into submission.
The Bad Decisions deal, no one can throw the 1st rock on that deal as we all have made them.

Over and Out! X2

Tom Vaught

Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

4 Pages of Stupid Bull Chit...Really

Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
4 Pages of Stupid Bull Chit...Really

X1000

GT.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM

Arnie put a nice burnout/pass down at da grove today even with a slippery track.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I personally would like to see Arnie driving Eric and Mike's "Grocery Getter" wagon, its Pontiac powered and puts on a good show at the track,(with ET's that are close to what he runs now) and it resembles a car he drove back in the day, he could sell his other car to help fund it, if it was time for him to hang it up, i would think friends like Eric and Mike and his crew would pull him aside and let him know what they thought.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be cool to see him race the G.G. Wagon!!!!!!!!!!

GT.