Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Slime ?

I had posted a recent thread about flat tires where someone recommended Slime. The Fix-a-Flat in my SUV was 6 years old and dead. Now I have two cans of Slime but have never used the product before.

Would using "Slime" hurt our Pontiac's or their Rally wheels?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Never hurt my wheels... But, I haven't ever had any luck with the stuff. I have tried it on my atv's trailer and car. Fix a flat works. Mechanics hate it! And I myself would buy a used tire (15-20 bucks anywhere) before using any of that stuff again.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

I used to work for an equipment rental store for over 10 years, and being the shop foreman I had seen my fair share of fix-a-flat, slime, goo, you name it. It was a reoccurring thing all the time where a customer would rent the machine, have a flat and instead of paying for us to come and fix it the right way, they would pump it full of some sort of slime and never notify us that they did it, only for us to find out later when the tire had either worn out or had too big of a hole for the goo in it, we would find it and it was one hell of a big mess. Not only is it a PITA when you have to remove the tire for whatever reason, but eventually it will lead to rust, and no doubt it would eventually happen on these old rally wheels as well. Every single solitary wheel we had be it steel or alloy had some sort of rust or corrosion. All the steel wheels were painted, but where there was a small nick or chip in the paint, it would bubble up all around it...especially around the bead where it seals. Once it got real bad I had to actually sandblast the area and build back up with weld and grind back down for it to seal correctly. It seems aluminum was not as bad, but it still had it's issues.

On another note, I have about a gallon of the "green slime" in my lawnmower tires, only because I mow "pasture" and I would have a flat almost every 15 feet. Looks pretty cool when I'm crusin' along and I see spots of green on the tire every so often....it's been 2 years since I started using that and I haven't aired up my tires one single time. However, I know eventually I will have a problem with rust as I had seen it so many times before.

My advice....stick a plug kit in the trunk along with one of those mini air compressors. I simply would not sacrifice my rally wheel using the stuff, especially if they are a dated wheel.

My

Joe

Build thread for my poppa ~~> CLICKY CLICKY
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe, Thanks for the tips. I'll use the Slime in the small yard tires and use the old school ream, thread and Monkey glue for the Pontiac.

Marc

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft