Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Question Factory looking aluminum radiator?

I am looking for a aluminum radiator for my 71 T/A. What I want is a radiator that looks like the original copper/brass but don't want to pay the $500+ price. I tried to call Alumitech and the guy told me that they closed up shop a short time back. I see alot of Griffins and Be-cools but not sure which one will fit my needs. Does anybody have actual experience with a brand they really like? Thanks for any input. Walt.

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds his nut's
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use a rock auto aluminum 1 core replacement radiator with plastic tanks. Then harvest the stock 3 core tanks off of a stock firebird radiator and fabricate them to cover the plastic 1 core tanks. Your fan shrowd covers a lot of it anyhow.

I did this for a stock appearing application mainly for the weight savings. (13 lbs) The highest end stock appearing aluminum radiator is still nearly thirty pounds.So, the extra labor to make it work was worth it for the price and weight savings.

Its prob the lightest stock appearing rad in the country.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info but I should have mentioned that I am looking for the high cooling capacity of the aluminum radiator. So basicly I want my cake and eat it too.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Walt View Post
Thanks for the info but I should have mentioned that I am looking for the high cooling capacity of the aluminum radiator. So basicly I want my cake and eat it too.
The aluminum 1 core radiator that I use cools my 10 second 660 hp 455 without any trouble. Cooling has never been a problem.

Good luck

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am looking for a aluminum radiator for my 71 T/A. What I want is a radiator that looks like the original copper/brass but don't want to pay the $500+ price. I tried to call Alumitech and the guy told me that they closed up shop a short time back. I see alot of Griffins and Be-cools but not sure which one will fit my needs. Does anybody have actual experience with a brand they really like? Thanks for any input. Walt.
"There is much debate over whether a copper or an aluminum radiator will cool better. There are pros and cons to each material. It has been scientifically proven that copper actually transfers heat better than aluminum. It is easier to repair in most cases than aluminum and until the last couple of years was much less expensive. " ( cap a radiator store)

You can modify a stock copper with thicker cores as well

Also do you REALLY need more cooling? are your temps "REAL" and measured with an IR gun at the T stat housing? You try a 160 T stat? ..

Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 PM

I have tried all different T stats and played with timing and the carb. I am convinced that the radiator I have has seen better days. I am looking at a Griffin Dominator Radiator that has the large 1.250" tubes. It is a two core which after doing some research, should be plenty. They are under $400 and close to the factory look. The Be-cools are crazy at $700. Still open to other radiator ideas.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have tried all different T stats and played with timing and the carb. I am convinced that the radiator I have has seen better days. I am looking at a Griffin Dominator Radiator that has the large 1.250" tubes. It is a two core which after doing some research, should be plenty. They are under $400 and close to the factory look. The Be-cools are crazy at $700. Still open to other radiator ideas.
IR temp pen at radio shack is about 20 bucks... you gauge is probably not 100% accurate as most are off.. Good luck!@