Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg
Default Panel quality and fit

My GTO is getting torn apart this year for a rotisserie restoration. The first thing it is starting out with is new floors firewall to trunk but then it will need body panels. I'm wondering who has used these parts and what the quality was..

Repro hood steel or fiberglass
fiberglass or steel valance
Drivers door (not sure if the doors I see are reproductions or just good cores, vague descriptions)
Drivers fender- I understand that the repros are junk and I should just patch my current one.
Trunk lid- I used a repro one on my dads cutlass with success, how is the GTO one?
Fiberglass bumper?

The main ones I need are the hood and valance but I may consider new parts for other areas instead of fixing the old stuff if the fit is good.

Thanks for the input, and being guinea pigs on these parts.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 69 vert had NO front valance when I found it, and the repro needed a fair amount of work to get the grilles and parking light on one side to fit. The fender patch panels are good quality, IMO, and there is no steel deck lid available repro.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought there was a trunk lid available, but true on the parts place website it only says coming soon. My trunk should be easily saved, but my hood and valance are both pretty shot.

I will likely get the steel hood as my buddies and I tend to sit on the hood of the car when hanging out, but the valance could be figerglass if it fits better than the steel repro.

If anyone has any feedback on the floors that would be appreciated as well. I am getting the large pan assemblies. One that goes from firewall to under the rear seat and one that goes from the rear seat to the back of the car. I had previously put in a 3 piece trunk pan, but would prefer the mroe seamless look of the 1 piece.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The one piece floor pans fit fine. The one piece trunk floor also fits good except it is designed for a 68. You need to reuse your upper rear trunk drop (where latch mounts)

Hoods are fine except the center line disappears halfway up the hood, also one scoop opening needs some work and the front lip design is different than original (noticable when hood is up) Also, if you plan to sit on the hood, I would get an original (thicker metal)

Repo fenders are junk but patch panels work fine.

69 trunk lids are not repopped.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 03-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I will have to checkout the hood when at the parts place (best part about being local to them) and see how the metal is. Finding original parts would be nice, but likely cost prohibitive plus having to pick up all the parts or ship them.

I'm quite excited to start on this, but nervous to cut out the floor, especially on a drop top body.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got the drivers side of the floor cut out today which is looking good so far. Luckily the rocker outers are solid despite having a mountain of rust hunks and wool insulation crammed in them.

I do need some more input on replacement panels though. I need to get the "floor to firewall" extensions and inner wheel well repair panels. Any input on how well the firewall extension pieces fit and how much do the rear wheel well patch panels cover? I may need to get the full inner wells and trim out my own patch panels.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Isn't Goodmark advertising they have new front fenders that fit better than the ones that have been available? I used repro door skins on my 69, they came out very nice. there is no repro trunk lid yet. I would dip mine so as to really clean it out and repair it. People are getting $400-$600 for good used ones and they aren't easy to find.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by android 211 View Post
Isn't Goodmark advertising they have new front fenders that fit better than the ones that have been available? I used repro door skins on my 69, they came out very nice. there is no repro trunk lid yet. I would dip mine so as to really clean it out and repair it. People are getting $400-$600 for good used ones and they aren't easy to find.
Luckily my trunk lid is in good shape. If they are making fenders that are of better quality (feedback anyone else), I may go that route. I am tired of cutting, welding, and matching seams and would love to have all rust free parts.

I am going to get the firewall extension pieces for the floor but need to know how much the rear wheel well patch piece covers. Not sure to order whole wells and cut up, or if the patch pieces will do.

May call the parts place and see about getting pictures of them sent. Or just make a trip out there and look at them in person. I can't wait to get the floors done in this thing.