Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Car hauling question

I went to the Trans Am Nationals this past weekend. It was a great experience, everything went good until I got home. I went to unload the Trans Am, it wouldnt start. It doesnt sound like juice is even getting to the starter. No Clicking at the starter. The battery is good.
I had the car in park while towing it. Now thinking about it, maybe it wasnt the best idea. I assume putting the car in Neutral and using the parking braking along with multiple straps is the proper way to tow the car. Is it possible a Relay or something was knocked loose on those great Dayton Ohio contruction roads? I'm not even sure where to begin with this one. Thanks for any help in advance. Let me know what questions you may have.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try twisting the steering column counter-clockwise and see if it will start.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Try twisting the steering column counter-clockwise and see if it will start.
Towing in park will knock the neutral safety switch adjustment out. It doesnt take much to prevent the car from startting.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM

Give the column a twist, I bet it'll start.. been there done that.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Thank you gents. When I get home today I'll give it a try. I appreciate your input! Greg

Old 08-31-2012, 12:19 AM

So I gave a good twist counter-clockwise a couple time and it's still dead. I put the battery charger on for 30 minutes; still nothing. My next step will be to get under the car to see if the positive wire has disconnected from the starter. Any other ideas?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does the steering column move when you shift gears?. The lower part should rotate. If the back drive linkage has slop, you may have to rotate the lower column Counter clockwise, and hold it there. If no luck, unhook the neutral safety wires from the switch ( top of steering column under the dash) and try a paper clip across the connector. Good luck! You can also bump the ignition switch from under there if needed.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bad solenoid?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried removing and retightening the battery terminals? I have seen that happen: where the side termnals are still attached but just enough corrosions built up between the mating surfaces, that it stopped the electrical flow.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Ok it's been over a week, I've completely removed my drivers seat (for easier access to the steering column). Yes the column does rotate really good when I'm shifting out of Park to neutral to drive. There is actually very little slop. What does the Safety Neutral Switch look like? I havent jumpered it yet to see if that works. I'd like to know if it is for sure the safety neutral switch. Again thank you for all of your help, Greg

Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

are you certain that the battery is good? I have had "new" ones go bad a couple months after buying them. Might want to try a different battery from another car before digging much deeper...

Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73brewstersd View Post
Ok it's been over a week, I've completely removed my drivers seat (for easier access to the steering column). Yes the column does rotate really good when I'm shifting out of Park to neutral to drive. There is actually very little slop. What does the Safety Neutral Switch look like? I havent jumpered it yet to see if that works. I'd like to know if it is for sure the safety neutral switch. Again thank you for all of your help, Greg
tyhe switch is half moon shaped, has the reverse switch on it as well (combined) ans it on top of the column and about 7 inches up from the firewall. Two Thick wires run to it. Rotating the column lower portion , which is done by backdrive linkage as well, usually makes it work.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Now that spring is upon us and car season will soon be under way; I just wanted to thank you guys for your help with this last fall. It was the Neutral safety switch. I did test it with a jumper like it was suggested and it fired right up. Thank for the guidance, Greg