THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Suspended

Question 1971 Judge Pontiac Catalog w wrecked Ragtop?

Noticed this one today:

Take a close look at the passenger fender, and front part of the hood (buckled) on the convertible in this 1971 Performace Cars section from the catalog.

Anyone know the backstory on this? Test mule, prototype, accident? Perhaps already covered somewhere else on PY via another thread?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Here is a larger version of the same:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...Cars-12-13.jpg

Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that a Pontiac engine in the boat??

Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure it's not just a funny reflection? Seems odd that they would put a wrecked car on the cover of the brochure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Vrabec View Post
Is that a Pontiac engine in the boat??
I had the same thought when I looked at the pic too.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like an optical illusion to me, not wrecked. A better question is, why is that boat in the garage and not the vert!?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

That pic is not right looks like someone has done something to it in other words fake.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

No, I don't think it's an optical illusion. I copied the image and enlarged it. There is definitely something wrong with the right front. When you go to the right from the center of the hood, it should angle to the back symmetrical to the left side. Instead, there is a sharp crease forward. It sure looks like it's wrecked to me. Plus, there is something on the left front fender. Can't tell what it is - the picture is too grainy.

Why would they use something that gave that impression, whether it's an illusion or actually wrecked? Weird!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

are the hood pins an illusion too?

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Are you sure it's not just a funny reflection? Seems odd that they would put a wrecked car on the cover of the brochure.

I had the same thought when I looked at the pic too.
Note this is page 13 (see lower right corner) not the cover, although I did too think it was a paper crease or fold until seeing the same image on several unrelated locations. (See the 2nd url in the large format) And these additional points as made below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgoater View Post
No, I don't think it's an optical illusion. I copied the image and enlarged it. There is definitely something wrong with the right front. When you go to the right from the center of the hood, it should angle to the back symmetrical to the left side. Instead, there is a sharp crease forward. It sure looks like it's wrecked to me. Plus, there is something on the left front fender. Can't tell what it is - the picture is too grainy.

Why would they use something that gave that impression, whether it's an illusion or actually wrecked? Weird!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
Thank you Gentleman for confirming that you also see what I do...appears to be RT Frt Fender and hood damage. Follow the right hood "Ram Air" intake and note the outer edge is FUBAR and then follow same area back toward windshield and hood appears to be buckled downward.

And yes - why the Hood Pin on the drivers side?

Very interesting and created and released long before our current Software & Hardware capabilities for sure.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb Subliminal message?

And...I first noticed this using iPad image zoom function. After viewing it on Microsoft PC machine I first thought that the copy paper page was bent. But have viewed from several different sources and all appear the same.

Here's a thought: perhaps it is Subliminal Messaging in Pontiac Advertising like the airbrushed scull & bones imaging on ice in glass of liquor we learned about in Sociology?

Here's some links regarding subliminal messages http://www.bing.com/search?q=sublimi...0-34&sp=-1&sk=

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Looks damaged to me. As a bodyshop owner not only do I see alot of damaged cars, but have to capture damage in photos all the time for insurance claims.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I played with the image on my MAC and it doesn't look to be damaged. The hood/Fender lines up to the windshield are perfect, no distortion. I think what you're seeing is a shadow on the raised edge of the hood that casts down on the flat part of the hood making it appear to be crumpled.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I remember that brochure as a kid when it was new. Never noticed that about the hood back in 71

Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
I played with the image on my MAC and it doesn't look to be damaged. The hood/Fender lines up to the windshield are perfect, no distortion. I think what you're seeing is a shadow on the raised edge of the hood that casts down on the flat part of the hood making it appear to be crumpled.
agree...shadows/ the way it was drawn does make it look like a dent on the hood, You know they wouldn't put out a wrecked car in a brochure.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Loaded convertible for sure.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Wink

From Judges Only thread but with 1978 Firebird image here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
TY for the input Gentleman.

Have run across several versions of the "Shadowy Scenes" from the 1970's Pontiac ads. Most that I am familiar with are the 1970 through 1981 Firebird Formula and Trans Am ads with several being Garage images like this OP Judge print...low lighting, fogged out images. They are some of my favorite Pontiac ads.

Also noted in the past the 1978 Pontiac Dealer Full Model catalog aka: Pontiac "1978 The Best Year Yet" illustration of a Gold TA that was also airbrushed and touched up to remove Y88 Special Edition striping, had wrong color grills, incorrect wheel finish treatment, etc. but was still used as a standard image in the catalogs and advertisements.

Based on that, most probably one of the reasons I noticed and zoomed in on the convertible image in this 1971 Judge ad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
This one is another "modified" Pontiac ad along the same topic of this OP
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...Pontiac-05.jpg
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...Pontiac-05.jpg

Last edited by Alvin; 03-22-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys, I am the source for that scan. I can assure you that the image appears the same way in my original Pontiac brochure.

Here is my original scan as it appears in the Automotive History Preservation Society digital reference library.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it got damaged on a country road when it clipped a 69 Catalina pulling a trailer.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I think it got damaged on a country road when it clipped a 69 Catalina pulling a trailer.
I lol'd. Right there. Yep - I did.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post

I didnt notice that until I read your post. Wasn't Mr Wangers in charge of this stuff? Might he be the go to guy for clarification?