THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Oh yeah dont forget a little trip through Bear Country USA where the deer and the antelope play along with bears, wolves and other critters. My wife freaked out thinking the animals were going to get attack us but they never got that close except for 1 buffalo, man was that thing huge.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
Devils Tower at sunrise.
Devil's Tower is a "must see" It is truly incredible.

A proud Veteran who is the proud son of a Veteran and the proud father of a Veteran

"Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM

My kids really enjoyed the Mammoth Site, an active archeological dig in Hot Springs SD, on south side of Black Hills. Needles Highway in Black Hills is way cool, too. Also, depending on your route to Cody from the Black Hills, if you go I-90 to Sheridan,WY, the drive west thru the Bighorn Mts. was really nice. I think it`s US 14 to Cody. One thing I regret not doing when we were in Sheridan, was not taking a detour to see the Little Bighorn Battlefield about 60 miles north of Sheridan. I don`t know if it`s worth it or not, but wished we would have went to see it anyway. I really liked Cooke City,MT as was mentioned earlier. It`s on the northeast side of Yellowstone near the entrance. Awesome scenery. Also east, US 212 near Cooke City, is Beartooth Pass. Really beautiful too. Also, X3 on Glacier Park

Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

Others will disagree, but I would skip parts of Yellowstone to visit Grand Tetons park. More wildlife, as good or better scenery, fewer people.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been to both Glacier and Yellowstone. Yellowstone is probably the better known park, but Glacier is the one that I went back to see a second time. And there will be a third time too.

Not saying that a person shouldn't go to Yellowstone, just that Glacier, IMHO, was much better.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Glacier Park is now likely on the agenda; Looks like it is about 5 hours north of Bozeman / YellowStone.

Wife is sold on Chico Hot springs. Already making it the home base of YellowStone portion

'Dude Ranch' is being researched

I can see that I need to do more research on the actual driving aspect as many of you have referenced the opportunities outside of the anchor sites of Rushmore / Yellowstone

Hope to see much wildlife without going viral in a youtube video

Chris, I can see you in the backseat already..."100 bottles of beer on the wall, 100 bottles of beer. Take one down and pass it around - 99 bottles of beer on the wall.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, plan ahead and have the GTO shipped out there so you drive that around instead of some lame old rental car! It may not add to Gina's enjoyment of the trip, but I know you'll have more fun!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Jim, your wish list is pretty long for a week. There will be 1500 miles or more getting to, from, and around everything. Slow down and enjoy some of it. Even 2 weeks would be rushed.

Bryan

Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Deadwood....is well worth a day or two

Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on feedback from PY and friends, we are going to drop Rushmore on the first trip and add Glacier National Park and surrounding sights. Scheduling around Sturgis was a big block of time that was causing too much conflicts. Kind of centralize in the Yellowstone and GNP area.

Thanks for the tips and I'll add more as we finalize lodging and day trips.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your in Yellowstone go down to the Grand Tetons. Take the gondola ride to the top of the mountain at the ski park.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
They really ruined Mt. Rushmore. Used to walk out there and there it was. I was awesome and kinda humbling experience. They went and Commercialized the place. Don't get me wrong its still awesome.
+1. One of my sisters lives in Hot Springs SD so I've visited her a few times out there. Mt. Rushmore used to have a very rustic feel to the area. Now they charge a steep admission (I thought it was free last time I went) and the area outside of the park reminds me of a "tourist trap". But,I guess ya gotta see it as long as you're out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gp View Post
My kids really enjoyed the Mammoth Site, an active archeological dig in Hot Springs SD, on south side of Black Hills. Needles Highway in Black Hills is way cool, too. Also, depending on your route to Cody from the Black Hills, if you go I-90 to Sheridan,WY, the drive west thru the Bighorn Mts. was really nice. I think it`s US 14 to Cody.
Again,+1. I drove my family out to Yellowstone 2 summers ago. I honestly thought the drive west through the Bighorns was outstanding. I was driving through it mid morning and the whole family was sleeping. I kept waking them up to point out the scenery. Finally I pulled over and woke them up at a wayside in the middle of nowhere because I was just in awe of the place,and was swerving all over the road trying to look around as I drove. The older kids spent the next 2 hours climbing and exploring as me and mom took in the scenery. Breathtaking is all I can say. I enjoyed the mountains here more than any site in Yellowstone,believe it or not. Take 16 west from Buffalo to Ten Sleep,this is where it's the best.
You say you're kids are fit? My family and I went south from Mt. Rushmore to Custer state park. Very cool easy rock climbing sites there as you drive through the park,just pull over and start climbing. No equipment needed.
I'll try to dig up some pics of that trip if I can find them.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.

Last edited by 67drake; 03-18-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hiking/climbing in Custer State Park SD

Yeah,that's us up there.

I think this place was called Sheep eater,it's inside Yellowstone. Yeah,the kids and I like to climb! Yup,it's the kids up there.

One of the few shots I have of the Bighorn mountains. This picture does not do it justice. Off to my right shoulder,out of the picture,the mountain goes strait up about 1000' right next to the road. This is the place we pulled over and I kicked the sleepy heads out of the Suburban.

More Bighorns

As soon as you get through Cody WY heading west on 14/16 to Yellowstone you will go through a long tunnel. There is a dam on the other side of the tunnel. We saw locals jumping off of this 30' or so cliff into the lake. My kids begged me to pull over and try it. Here they go.

My step son in Yellowstone

Last edited by 67drake; 03-18-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great Pics, they are getting the family excited.

Boy, this trip isn't going to be cheap. I'm guessing it is going to cost in excess of $8000 as we start to pencil in the plan and make arrangements. I'm determined to do it, but compared to a week at the beach, it is a big investment for us. Planning on about a 12 day trip.

Plane fare ( not direct flight either ) is close to $1000 / person (4) ; $4000
Rental car + gas ~ $1000
Hotel ~ $1800
Food ~ $700
Misc ~ $500

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$700 for food? For 12 days? I'd double that.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I doubt that too. 12 days, 4 people, 3 meals a day = 144 meals. That's 4.86/per meal. Not many Mc Donalds around there. LOL

Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

misc is low also esp if you have to pay to get in the parks, and souvenirs, spa treat ments ect.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, if you did Yellowstone and Glacier it would be worth it. The distances are huge out there. You could really stay at Chico the whole time for that matter. A saloon opens onto the huge hot springs pool, which has a covered porch around the whole thing. You can get mud treatments, do horseback trips and hike in the canyon right there. The restaurant is unbelievable. They invited our dog into the dining room where he partied with other well behaved pooches while we greased on 5* fare of wild game and other gourmet delights. Used to be they would close the road in front and you could land a plane there.

We will expect a full report.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post

Boy, this trip isn't going to be cheap. I'm guessing it is going to cost in excess of $8000 as we start to pencil in the plan and make arrangements. I'm determined to do it, but compared to a week at the beach, it is a big investment for us. Planning on about a 12 day trip.

Rental car + gas ~ $1000
Hotel ~ $1800
Food ~ $700
Misc ~ $500
Our trip set us back about $4000. That was 8 of us driving in a Suburban from Wisconsin though. Yeah,not a lot of fast food out there as said above. We had so much packed into that Suburban,and a carrier on top,and bicycle rack on the hitch,that we couldn't carry much food. We went as cheap as we could though. We camped in tents instead of doing hotels,cooked over the campfire when possible,and didn't buy many touristy souvenirs.
This was a lot of money for us to spend,but with your kids being the age they are,take the trip and don't look back! Our oldest has since moved out,and is engaged. The 2nd oldest is now in the Marines. So we won't have another chance to all take a trip like that together again.
I did the Chico Hot Springs too,years ago (when I had 2 kids,not 7). A great place to hit if you can.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post

Rental car + gas ~ $1000
Hotel ~ $1800
Food ~ $700
Misc ~ $500
The plane fare sounds high to me. I think you can get it done for $5 - 600.00 per person. Get an airline credit card - you can probably get enough frequent flier miles to cover the airfare for on person (Delta for instance will give you 30,000 miles for getting their card and charging $500.00 on it within the first 3 months).

Car/gas is close - depending on what you rent. Try and get involved in the loyalty program with whichever company you choose. You may earn enough for a future rental day or two.

Hotel - do you have a chain that you have a loyalty program with? If not - look into it. You can earn free nights. Get a hotel credit card and earn free nights (Hilton for instance will give you 40,000 points - enough for 1 - 2 nights free depending on the hotel).

Food - I agree with other that that is probably low.

My wife currently travels a lot for business and I used to travel a lot for business - and have Delta/Hilton/Marriott/Radison/Hertz/National Car Rental loyalty programs working for us. As a result, pleasure travel is usually free.

Going to Austin, TX for a wedding this weekend. Free airfare (for me - my wife is just flying to Austin instead of flying home), one free rental car day and 2 nights free at the Embasssy Suites by the Arboretum in Austin. FWIW - the NCAA BB Regional is in town - so you know the hotel room would have been big $$$'s

Loyalty programs can be your friend...