Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Default dehumidifier

im not sure if this is the right area for this one but il give it a shot started tinkering with my car again after the winter noticed that my aluminum parts have that white crud growing on them and my black coated parts have that rusty film on them. so before i put on my brand new intake i was wondering about a dehumidifier dose any one use one in there garage mine is always very humid and there's always moisture in the air that i would like to minimize what do you guys do to minimize humility

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Senior Chief

I run a small Maytag unit set at 50 percent humidity. I have a length of garden hose from the unit that runs out under the door to drain the moisture. Mainly use it during the spring and summer. You need a hose to drain it otherwise you will be draining the tank every day.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been running one in an un-conditioned garage for years.
My old unit crapped out after many years of good service, so I recently shopped around for a replacement.
I just didn’t want to drop 250+$. Then finally found what I hope is a decent unit.
I found a great deal and good reviews, then bought one off EPAY.
No condensation on anything I also keep paper files out there without ill effects
It's a Kenmore 50 pint unit about the same as I had.
I too run it when temp is above 40 and at 50% and it really does its job. I have it on a 24” stand and it is plumbed out the back wall.
In the summer I would let the old unit run 24/7 we’ll see if this one will last as long.
Best money ever spent.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dessicant packs in the car and around the car.

Cheap way to keep the moisture level down.

I use Damp Rid packs - at Lowes and Home Depot.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
I've been running one in an un-conditioned garage for years.
My old unit crapped out after many years of good service, so I recently shopped around for a replacement.
I just didn’t want to drop 250+$. Then finally found what I hope is a decent unit.
I found a great deal and good reviews, then bought one off EPAY.
No condensation on anything I also keep paper files out there without ill effects
It's a Kenmore 50 pint unit about the same as I had.
I too run it when temp is above 40 and at 50% and it really does its job. I have it on a 24” stand and it is plumbed out the back wall.
In the summer I would let the old unit run 24/7 we’ll see if this one will last as long.
Best money ever spent.
how big is the garage that you use this in