Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 Orbit restoration

SO I think its about time for me to grab my 70 Judge (that I got in like 1985) and finally begin the restoration. Just needs a little quarter and fender patch work, and of course the entire interior redone. Car is pretty solid otherwise.The car had no engine or trans in it when I got it. But I do have the RA pans and exhaust manifolds.

So what im wondering is if it is worth the effort to find a date code correct engine for it or just build whatever?

I got this car when I was 15 or so and back in the day my dad picked me up a 4-speed and a 400 for it. The trans possibly could be the factory one, but I know the engine isnt. Its long gone per the person that I got it from.
It is ab OO orbit car with sandlewood, hood tach, and a 4-speed. As soon as the snow melts enough to get to the building, I will get the numbers and send away for the PHS. The car was purchased new in my home town, and some of the old timers knew of it... and there was talk of it being a RAIV car, but I have no clue for sure.

What say you?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Senior Chief

Pictures?

"Individual results may vary..."
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM

...do it right...you will be happier in the long run knowing you did the best possible job

Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PHS will be the first step. If it ends up being a RA IV car you need to go the roundport route.

Until you get the PHS a few clues to look for are the manifolds & RA pan, RA IV parts are specific (assuming they were original to the car). Original rear end would have been a 3:90 or 4:33, the original emission decal on the core support may tell something & factory a/c is a big clue also. Oshawa built Judges will be a RA III.

.......and post a few pics when you can!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a puter crash a few years ago and all the pics were on it. And the car is 1200 miles from me jamb packed in the back of a building. SO there wont be pictures until I go get it. Right now I am assuming it to be a RAIII car. Just seems like a big hassle to go through the work of tracking down the correct engine, and if it doesnt increase the value much I wont bother.
Not that it will be for sale, but you know what I mean. Unless of course it turns out to be a RAIV car, then it will be for sale for sure!
I just now was able to talk the person I got it from out of the rear end. Was so glad he still had it after all these years and finally let it go. But I havent seen it, my dad picked it up for me (it was his buddy that had it).
No A/C in this car. No decal on the core support. It had some quarter work and was already resprayed when I got it. Odd because it only had like 40,000 miles. Word on the street was that there was a picture floating around of it doing a wheelie at the strip.
I have it stripped down right now pretty much to nothing. Just suspention pieces still on and the body on the frame with a couple bolts. Last tag on the license plate was for 1982.
I work here: daytonamusclecars.com so it will be restored very well.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
... and there was talk of it being a RAIV car, but I have no clue for sure.

What say you?
I say I would have had the PHS for it a LONG time ago!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah. To be honest I would never have considered selling it before so I really didnt care much. I was going to do an on frame restore and drive it. But since then my skills have become professional level and I can actually afford to do it right now. Also since then I moved to Daytona Beach into a condo with no garage.....so that means $150 a month for a storage unit. So...now I do care what it is!!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it works out to be an OO Ram3 Manual Judge - would definitely be worthwhile to get the right type engine back into it. Or at least have the pieces stored back.
SR WS whatever you can get a hold of.

You missed the boat if you owned it since mid 80's.
Could have gotten the Invoice for Free in later 80's from PMD.
Was a toll free phone number, and they even paid the postage.

i wondered what the he]] you were talking about waiting on SNOW to melt in Port Orange ! lol
Glad you straitened us out on that.
Maybe you can get to the title easier than the car for the VIN ?

I've got some family in Port Orange, used to go there/Daytona a lot.
A few other members on here in Port Orange too.
Nice place great weather no helmet laws.

......but property taxes are out the wahoo

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I know its at least an OO manual Judge for sure. And im sure if I asked, my old man would go out and try to dig his way back to it. But he is getting pretty old and im not sure if he can even see well enough to get the vin right anyway. Not that its a huge rush at this point anyway. But I would like to know exactly what I have there. In the 80's the car wasnt crap, in fact, the thing was given to me because the guy was a Chevelle guy. He wanted it out of his yard! Same year I bought a 65 GTO convertible for $400. Cool high school car! And I know for a fact you can get 18 small high school girls in one!

And nope.....no snow in Port Orange! Stuff is high here, but its a real nice place to live. I dont even want to go back to Iowa to visit!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 PM

Talking

Do you want me to send Cole to get Vin? Don't forget how many bottles of Purple Passion fit under the seats, until the 5.0 catch you.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im not in a huge hurry, so there is no sense in making a special trip. And I dont know if he's bendy enough to get back to it.
Im sure it will hold as much Purple Passion as the 65 convertible, but probably not as many chicks! 18 was the record by the way fellas. But keep in mind this was in high school. Probly couldnt fit 4 of those same girls in there now!!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Senior Chief

Default Orbit car

Gtome- do you have any photos of the car back in the day? High school? Would be cool to see it!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont think I do. The only surviving pic I could even possibly find is one pic I took and my wife had made into a mouse pad. Wife is gone but I think the mousepad is somewhere. Unfortunately, when i moved to FL, I didnt bring any car stuff with me. Good news though. It looks EXACTLY the same now as it did then!

But really its nothing special. It had been resprayed, and not well. No stripes with 5 slot mags. Sandlewood interior.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default Old pic

I can imagine the look of the car, cool slots, neat street bruiser back then...

Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a bruiser when I got it! It just sat there with an empty engine bay. I went to the junk yard and pulled an engine from some car. Plunked it in and the wiring was jacked. By the time I figured out the wiring, the motor had locked up. Pretty much the last time I wrenched on it. I was 14-15 years old. 42 now just to put it into perspective. Last plated date was 1982 IIRC.