Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, do you have flow data of head with the manifold? This is not a loaded question.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
Bill, do you have flow data of head with the manifold? This is not a loaded question.

... well, sorta, i dont have a CV-330 matched manifold, at least not yet, but i did flow the CV-330 with my CVI-1X intake, and it was the end runner of the manifold too ...

... the CVI-1X was ported, but ported to match with a standard CV-1 As cast port, as this is one of the manifolds we tested at Norwalk 2012 on Dino's car ...

... so it's quite a bit smaller, but the manifold kept up until .750 lift where it peaked at 443cfm, so i do need to match this manifold to these heads now for this reason, but also because i'll be testing it on the pump gas 565 build with the CV-330/Twister street-strip heads ...

Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No epoxy in this port and 390 fps of airspeed needs to be mentioned,so much for the myth bigger ports with high cfm can't have velocity.
I am looking forward to the retool maxcast version, a lot more material to work with in that casting. From what Bill said he left plenty of material in this port, personally I would never want a set of heads that are ported real thin, leads to other problems, one good backfire and you will be doing some welding, especially if its an n2o backfire.

Thanks for all your hard work Bill and Jim. Also thanks to Mary M and Tim for everything in providing a top notch shop to help the pontiac community as a whole.

Last edited by GREATGTO; 01-11-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What CI is this port designed for and what RPM should be expected?

How much different is this port from Calvin's Fusion port?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
What CI is this port designed for and what RPM should be expected?

How much different is this port from Calvin's Fusion port?

... i would say 500c.i. and up, but really you dont size the port just based on C.I., its based on bore size, then valve size, then you map out your percentages to valve through out the port, from there if you find you want more or less RPM you match the stroke and camshaft to target that RPM ...

... and no, the CV-330 looks nothing like Calvin's Fusion port ...

Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron it is the same port as the street strip head so it could be used on a 4.21 bore or larger. Its just equipped with higher end components. Rpm range is largely going to be dictated by ci, and stroke has an impact on the rpm range due to piston speed. (Obviously the cam choice and manifold plays here too.) Note the velocity and fat mid lift numbers.

Keep in mind there are more choices in the pipeline. This level is done with the original castings that are out there.
The re-tool casting has more room for greater capacity than seen here. This port is on original casting and is about as far as you safely go without epoxy or welding.

If you have an old set of cv1's this can be duplicated. Obviously if they were previously worked it might require putting material back at extra cost. (Charlie Sikes Race Shop port job comes to mind) However if someone were to score some used castings cheap enough or free then added cost of adding material back might be worth investigating.

Options can be added on to this head like convertible exhaust or RacePlate exhaust for greater gains but this is a pretty reasonable package for someone looking to step up or or start a race program with.

So anyway, this package is the compression/higher rpm version of the street strip package. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=717699

This is not the limit of the CV program by any means.

As far as comparing to Fusion or Quest port, thats something you should decide. Look up posts on the Fusion and Quest ports. Then compare to this port Bill offers. Note that Fusion port was done on porters casting vs Quest head done on standard CV1 casting.

Bill no longer has to deal with a middleman for digitizing and/or cnc. Dont know of anyone besides SD with their own 5 axis cnc in Pontiac land. I have no idea if SD can scan and digitize his own stuff or not.

The capability that Mondello has, offers a big impact on reducing costs and turn around time.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Calvin's fusion vs Bills twister!

The cv what throw down!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
Calvin's fusion vs Bills twister!

The cv what throw down!
Sounds like the line of V-8 juice drinks..

Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Hello Bruce
Just for the record, we do our own digitizing and have had the ability to do so since the day we first purchased our 5-axis cnc machine.
Thanks.

Marcel
www.sdperformance.com

Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
Hello Bruce
Just for the record, we do our own digitizing and have had the ability to do so since the day we first purchased our 5-axis cnc machine.
Thanks.

Marcel
www.sdperformance.com
You guys always seem to turn out nice heads, never heard anyone complain about them, means you pay attention to detail, continued success.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Hello Bruce
Thanks.

Marcel
www.sdperformance.com
Hi Marcel,
Has any progress been made on your CNC program for the CV-1's? Been some time.....almost 5 years.

Last edited by Bnick166; 01-11-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hello Bruce
Thanks.

Marcel
www.sdperformance.com
Thanks Marcel thats good to know. Quite an advantage not depending on, waiting on and then paying for someone else and hoping they care as much as you do.

I wasnt sure thats why I asked.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, I'm not trying to be a smart ass with my questions about this top end. And please guys, try not to talk to me like a dummy. You want to sell this and I am interested in finding out more, and many others reading this thread could be too.

So a 4.35 bore x 4.25 stroke 505 pontiac engine with this package. I am assuming 330 is the volume of the port? What size valve would you use? And you will have the same flow as posted? I'd think there would be some variance because of the valve size unless you set it up for the 505?

Any indication or proximity cost for the single four intake that will have these heads working to full race potential? Again, not being a smartass but unless I have a custom sheet intake made there is no other avenue for an intake to match this head package so it should be part of the package.

Bore, stroke is determined, valve size is determined, race intake is matched to the heads, can you project an rpm range for power to which a cam, exhaust, converter, carb, gear, basically the rest of the combo will be worked toward?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Bill, I'm not trying to be a smart ass with my questions about this top end. And please guys, try not to talk to me like a dummy. You want to sell this and I am interested in finding out more, and many others reading this thread could be too.

So a 4.35 bore x 4.25 stroke 505 pontiac engine with this package. I am assuming 330 is the volume of the port? What size valve would you use? And you will have the same flow as posted? I'd think there would be some variance because of the valve size unless you set it up for the 505?

Any indication or proximity cost for the single four intake that will have these heads working to full race potential? Again, not being a smartass but unless I have a custom sheet intake made there is no other avenue for an intake to match this head package so it should be part of the package.

Bore, stroke is determined, valve size is determined, race intake is matched to the heads, can you project an rpm range for power to which a cam, exhaust, converter, carb, gear, basically the rest of the combo will be worked toward?

Thanks
... oh no Ron, i didn't think i was talking to you like a dummy, i wasnt trying to do that, i was just explaining how i map out a port based on what you asked me ...

... yes, the 330 is the port volume of the intake port, and the CV-330 is based on a 2.325 valve, but i wouldn't change the valve size for this port as the throat & chamber are specifically shaped and sized to this valve, to change the valve size would mean i'd have to change the port, unless it was a very small change in size, also with the amount of bore clearance and free drop the CV-1 has, the smallest bore we can run with that valve is a 4.210 bore, but for a compression application i'd prefer to see at least a 4.250 bore or larger, a 4.350 bore is perfect as that puts it @ 53% which is well within range of valve position on the seat to bore ...

... as far as what we are doing with our CNC manifolds, the cast Tunnel Ram is the best choice for a race application right now, as we are about to finish up testing on the new single 4 manifold, but obviously it is not done yet, so single carbs or duals could be run on the Tunnel Ram and with the CNC porting i'm sure it will be very effective, as far as the price, i will tell you i am "Targeting" $1,000-$1,300 for the Tunnel Ram CNC porting package, and that will include the manifold also, i wont know for sure 100% until we test cut a manifold, but that is just where our estimates are as far as cutting time, obviously we will know more once that happens, as for the NEW "Twister Single 4" it will be a 2pc. design and we will be able to completely CNC this manifold for this application, and many others, but obviously we have to finish the design portion of this intake manifold first, i'm just telling you our objective for the "Twister" manifold ...

... as far as RPM range, i think this head has the correct amount of CSA and valve size on a 505c.i. with the right cam, compression etc. to have no trouble reaching the 8100-8400rpm range ...

Last edited by twinturrbo406; 01-12-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Sounds like the line of V-8 juice drinks..
More like Reactive Resin Bowling ball names to me.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
... oh no Ron, i didn't think i was talking to you like a dummy, i wasnt trying to do that, i was just explaining how i map out a port based on what you asked me ...

... yes, the 330 is the port volume of the intake port, and the CV-330 is based on a 2.325 valve, but i wouldn't change the valve size for this port as the throat & chamber are specifically shaped and sized to this valve, to change the valve size would mean i'd have to change the port, unless it was a very small change in size, also with the amount of bore clearance and free drop the CV-1 has, the smallest bore we can run with that valve is a 4.210 bore, but for a compression application i'd prefer to see at least a 4.250 bore or larger, a 4.350 bore is perfect as that puts it @ 53% which is well within range of valve position on the seat to bore ...

... as far as what we are doing with our CNC manifolds, the cast Tunnel Ram is the best choice for a race application right now, as we are about to finish up testing on the new single 4 manifold, but obviously it is not done yet, so single carbs or duals could be run on the Tunnel Ram and with the CNC porting i'm sure it will be very effective, as far as the price, i will tell you i am "Targeting" $1,000-$1,300 for the Tunnel Ram CNC porting package, and that will include the manifold also, i wont know for sure 100% until we test cut a manifold, but that is just where our estimates are as far as cutting time, obviously we will know more once that happens, as for the NEW "Twister Single 4" it will be a 2pc. design and we will be able to completely CNC this manifold for this application, and many others, but obviously we have to finish the design portion of this intake manifold first, i'm just telling you our objective for the "Twister" manifold ...

... as far as RPM range, i think this head has the correct amount of CSA and valve size on a 505c.i. with the right cam, compression etc. to have no trouble reaching the 8100-8400rpm range ...
Thanks Bill. So somehwere in the ball park of 9700 which includes both head and intake castings and the components you listed in your original post.

When you say using the max cast CV-1 casting, are you completely porting the intake runners as well as adding the twister exhaust design? I have forgotten what the cast intake runner volume is on the CV-1 head. Was it 310?

Last edited by Ron H; 01-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks Bill. So somehwere in the ball park of 9700 which includes both head and intake castings and the components you listed in your original post.

When you say using the max cast CV-1 casting, are you completely porting the intake runners as well as adding the twister exhaust design? I have forgotten what the cast intake runner volume is on the CV-1 head. Was it 310?

... the package will include all the parts, and the manifold, and both heads, which all 3 pieces will be completely CNC'd on the intakes, exhausts, chambers, and the entire manifold, plenum included ...

... the original as cast CV-1 intake port is about 288cc's, and i've been asked now about the "ReTool" port by a few people here, as to its volume, and the "Retool" port is 291cc's for those that were wondering ...

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
More like Reactive Resin Bowling ball names to me.
No resin(or weld) in these ports and though they sure make a RA4 port look puny they are not anywhere near bowling ball size. . Pictures just dont show how nice these really are. Paid a visit today... nice... my daughter wants Bills scan equipment.