Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no quality control in any of the automotive products anymore. I've found quite a few defective plugs in the last couple of years, and one had a direct short to ground. Somebody needs to slap that 8 year old Chinese kid that checks the plugs.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

Default Popping

On page 150 of Doug Roe's older, blue front book, "Rochester Carburetors" He shows how to reach through the "Forward internal vent stack" and "work" the power piston. I suppose that not all Qjets will do this. Mine does. Billk

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its possible.... I will have a better look next time im out in it. Im trying to remember how it was when it was apart! I took it out for a short ride tonight. So I will also pull a couple plugs next time im out there too and have a look at them. Pulled out 86 Autolites and put in AC R45s this time.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I started it up this morning and the fan spinning with no shroud is pretty scary trying to look/mess with the carb. Tried to feel in the vent but didnt really find anything. I may try again later with the car not running.
I looked down iside the primarys at idle and there is no observable fuel anywhere. Isnt there supposed to be some fuel dripping in there at idle? Good news is I put the vac gauge on it and its pulling about 17hg. Much more steady than it was with the Holley.

Also I notice I have to pump it several times starting it cold to get it to fire. Wonder if the bowl is empty. Have to check that next time too. I did the test when I built it and no bubbles from the plugs, but something is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWpMsYZFxPs