Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

The dealer is in Chesnee, SC and the seller is in Blacksburg, SC.

Well, I knew it was too good to be true.

I asked for a picture of the data plate and the new title so I could make sure the VIN on the new title matches the VIN on the car and as I figured, the 2 digits are still incorrect. I repeatedly told the seller that the VIN on the title needs to match the car as well as the bill of sale. Today I find out that the DMV told him they couldn't change it to match the car. The seller has agreed to refund me my money but asked if I could wait a month or so. WHAT! He told me he spent it and I'd need to wait. Not that I don't believe the guy but enough is enough. I've been on the phone with ebay and am waiting for the next steps from their insurance co.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
The good news is that it's a current dealer invloved.
But is this positively the real dealer? Sounds to me like it's a stolen car this guy is trying to get rid of. Oh crap... he did that via eBay.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
EVERY car I work on or invest ANY effort is put into my name before a dime is spent on fixing problems.
Learned that the hard way dintcha?!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morgan View Post
Learned that the hard way dintcha?!
Luckily Bill I was so dirt poor in those days I really didn't have any serious money into the car (less than $1500 with shipping and purchase price - and still got another $600 back when I sold the carcass). While it was a bummer, it was a darn good experience and to learn it as well as I did for as cheaply as I did I consider it money well spent!

I still preach the title rules from the mountains to all who are willing to listen. Not too many people seem to care about learning the easy way though...

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Sounds to me like it's a stolen car this guy is trying to get rid of.
I agree. When you've got a car with a title and the VINs don't match the paperwork in more than one way, something seriously fishy is going on.