Garage Sale Any NON-Pontiac related item you want to buy-sell-trade or giveaway!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1940 Ford Deluxe Business Coupe W/Opera Seats

This 1940 Ford Deluxe Business Coupe with opera seats is complete, unmodified, and fully operational. It has been driven sparingly throughout its life, with the odometer registering less than 33K miles.

The car has never been wrecked and rust perforation appears only in three small areas, one in the transmission inspection shield and the others around each rear bumper bracket. The paint, with some chips and flaking, dates back more than 30 years and is a color change from the original black.

The original interior fabric is in good condition, although it is stained in places. The coupe has a heater, West Bend wind-up clock (keeping perfect time), and a Philco radio.

The powerplant is the 85 HP V8, and a column-mounted shifter controls the three-speed manual transmission. The carburetor is professionally rebuilt, and the water pumps are new with modern bearings and seals.

All brake hoses, wheel cylinders, and brake shoe cams are new. Brake shoes have ample lining, and the drums show no significant wear.

The tires are, unfortunately, not assets. Three are ancient 6.00-16s outfitted with cheater whitewalls, and the fourth is a modern 235/85-16 truck radial. The spare tire, complete with center cap and beauty ring, is a fairly decent 6.00-16 blackwall.

This coupe is an exceptional candidate for restoration or street rod conversion. I have a multitude of clear photos from many aspects illustrating its completeness and soundness. (I forgot to put the front carpet back in before taking the interior photos.)

I have clear, unconditional Texas title to the ’40, and I’m asking $25,000 OBO, picked up in Lubbock, Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F08.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	301791   Click image for larger version

Name:	F07.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	301792   Click image for larger version

Name:	F06.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	301793   Click image for larger version

Name:	I001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	301794   Click image for larger version

Name:	I002.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	301795  

Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill,
That car brings back memories. When I was discharged from the Navy in 1973 I drove one from California back to south Georgia. It was not stock but it did still have the opera seats in it. It had a chromed dash and was powered by a 301 Chevy motor mated to a Muncie 4 speed. Whoever did the mechanical work took some short cuts. They had to cut the bottom half of the "X" out of the frame to clear the tranny. Not only did I drive it from California here, two weeks later I drove it to Maryland to see my parents. While there for a week a friend painted the car Root Beer metallic and I picked up a set of Mercedes bucket seats and bolted them to some 2x4s that were bolted to the floor pans. I drove that car daily for about two years before tearing the tranny up racing.
You have a very nice car and I hope someone comes along that wants it.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you would have had it over here last weekend at the 'Moonshine Festival' in Dawsonville, GA. you would have sold it in a heartbeat. There is a car show during the festival, and last year there were 40-50 39-40 Fords!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
If you would have had it over here last weekend at the 'Moonshine Festival' in Dawsonville, GA. you would have sold it in a heartbeat. There is a car show during the festival, and last year there were 40-50 39-40 Fords!
I'm pretty sure Don Garlits called that very car one of his favorites...something about being the first year for sealed beams and you could actually see at night without "outrunning" the headlights. Always one of my favorites as well. Good luck with the sale. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Garlits has quite a fantastic collection of pre-war V8 Fords, one or more of each year.

One of my favorites is a VERY original Washington Blue 36 Cabriolet that is world-renowned as a record of "correctness" for restorers.

I have some great childhood times helping Dad restore a Washington Blue flat-back Convertible Sedan, then it became a car used for frequent family outings.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Chief

Gone to a new home in Houston, TX.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's hope the new owner keeps it Ford Powered. Seeing an old Ford like that with a Chevy small block makes me want to puke.