Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Computer help

Every time I turn my computer on I get an red alert in the tool bar saying the anti virus needs to be turned on. I am running MSE. When I click on the icon it opens up the window showing the anti virus is off. How do I turn it on? The only way that works for me is to run an update, then it turns on.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Try uninstalling MSE, run the One Care install cleanup tool - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanUp.exe then reinstall MSE.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I turned the computer on today everything worked. No alerts. If it happens again I will try your solution. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a lot of trojans out there that masquerade as "Your computer is unprotected, click here to enable firewall" or some such message. Some of them are simply a ploy to get you to buy their anti-virus products, others are more nefarious.

MSE is a decent program (maybe not the best) but it's free, easy and will keep out a majority of the nasties.