THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Default 69 Tempest Sprint Stripes Question

Hello All

I am trying to get a hold of Kieth, he is a member on this site and works for GM.

Maybe he can answer a question as to the proper location for the Sprint Stripes.

The Assembly Manual states that the bottom edge of the Stripes should be located at a position "17.550 inches parallel to bottom "O" Line"

What is the "O" line Reference Point? Is it the bottom of the door, rocker panel, or the bottom of the drip rail of the rocker panel, or is it something completely different?????

Thank You, in Advance, for any help you may give.

Dusty

Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

O is datum the flat level plane the car is built on.....which is basically the bottom of the rocker in most cases, but ive never heard it used for stripes, it must be something else..measure up from the bottom of the rocker see if it looks right...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC Cammer6 used to repop those and would most likely know the answer.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on most of the (few) '69 Tempest/lemans' I've seen and looking at the brochures I would say the O line/orientation line would be off the top of the rocker mold as that looks to be about the 17" point, but that is just a guess on my part.

Gary's (Cammer6) stripes are real good not sure he still does them?
I've had a set of his on my car for 17 years now.
I'm sure he can help.

Here are afew other outfits offering them with details...
http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/pr_pont_lemans.asp

http://www.gbodywarehouse.com/gbw/pr...4&cat=0&page=1

Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually I made 2 sets for him and notes I had were 16 inches from bottom of body
John emailed me and asked where this was in reference to as the measurement
he had from the assembly manual was 17.550 above the O line what ever that is.
I honestly dont remember what the 16 inches was from as I did that over 20 yrs ago.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM

Hello All

Looking at Jeff's picture, it looks like the srtipes are centered on the crease along the side of the car, I think that would always be banged up by parking lot bandits opening their doors into it.

So, I think they should be just below the crease for safety, just not sure, but I do want to install them corrrectly when I do.

That is why I am trying to know for sure what the "O" line is in the Vehicle Assembly Manual.

Thanks,

Dusty

Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 AM

Hello All

Looking at Jeff's picture, it looks like the srtipes are centered on the crease along the side of the car, I think that would always be banged up by parking lot bandits opening their doors into it.

So, I think they should be just below the crease for safety, just not sure, but I do want to install them corrrectly when I do.

That is why I am trying to know for sure what the "O" line is in the Vehicle Assembly Manual.

Side Note on my 69 Sprint, 4 Speed:

I installed a 4.56 gear set, Eaton Posi, Tom's Kick Ass Axles and a TA Diff Girdle.
225/70-15 tires on the rear, 205/75-14 on front.
Installed My 1969 NOS Q-Jet (Thanks Jeff)
Boxed both sets of control arms.
Installed rear sway bar.
Installed the supports that go from the bottom control arms mounting point to the top control arms mounting point.
(Think GTO manual transmission rear suspension factory mod)
I also fabricated a Front Air Dam/Spoiler out of Aluminum Angle, it looks fantistic too.

Went over to my buddies shop to show them, as I was leaving he said to Jump on it, so I DID. Left 2 black streeks 60 feet long, I think I need more tire on/under it Still. (used 1st gear only) they were impressed, said that they could not believe that a 6 cylinder could do that. It was great.

Drove it around town and on the freeway some, kept reaching for the shifter for another gear, not there. I am working on that too, I have a Gear Vendors Overdrive I plan on installing too, that should give me and equivelant 3.55 ratio when engaged it think, I can have the best of both worlds.

Any modifications I am making will be done in such a way as to NOT MODIFY the original vehicle, everything can be removed and there will not be any changes to the basic vehicle form when it was built once removed.

I built up another Differential and installed it, and saved the original intact Diff. with all its original Petena.

This one reason why we all love these Sprints.

I have had all these items on hand for several years, due to family financial obligations, I just could not get this done earlier.

I have only been able to drive it these 2 days all year, but it was great.

Thanks,

Dusty

Last edited by BMFH; 10-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
O is datum the flat level plane the car is built on.....which is basically the bottom of the rocker in most cases, but ive never heard it used for stripes, it must be something else..measure up from the bottom of the rocker see if it looks right...
I agree, or more correctly the plane that is formed by the body mount cushions (bottom of the body where it sits on the cushions), which of course is not terribly accessable in the real world.

If the design is like the photo that Jeff posted then it's kind of a moot point, since the height of the stripe will be dictated by filling the area between the wheel openings.

At any rate, take some measurements and let us know what you think -

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Hello All

Went over to a buddy who parts out old Pontiacs sometimes, He happened to have a 69 Tempest body off the frame and sitting on stands.

I found a piece of wood to use as a straight edge, placed it across the body at the pinch weld area of the rocker panels and measured the body. I used a 1/2" wide tape measure that was very flexible, I.E an old tape measure.

Here are the dimensions:

From the straight edge up to the body mount pad on the cross-member: 3-15/16"

From the straight edge at 90* up to the crease in the body: 16-7/8"

From the pinch weld bottom edge up the side of the vehicle following the contour of the side of the body was: 19-3/4"

The Stripes are 1-3/4" Wide

Using the Assembly Manual data of 17.550" Plus 1-3/4" for the stripes width brings the stripe top edge in at approx 19-1/4" plus .050" to the TOP of the Stripes which is approx 1/2" below the crease.

This is somewhat what I thought earlier, in order to protect the Stripes from the preverbal Door Dings when the car would be a daily driver in its earlier days.

Let me know what you guys think about this.

Take Care,

Dusty

Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That makes good sence and sounds like it would be close to what the pic I posted seems to be.
It's hard to tell but to me they do look to be just below the body line in that pic.

Maybe you could use 1/4" and 1" masking tape to do a mock-up.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

where would that put it using the 16 inch measurement to bottom of stripe?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I pulled out a dealer album and scanned the section devoted to Sprint option
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68-9 sprint scan.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	300725   Click image for larger version

Name:	68-9 sprint scan 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	300726  

Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
where would that put it using the 16 inch measurement to bottom of stripe?
If you follow the contour up the side, the top of the stripe would be below the crease by approx 2 inches.

Thanks Again, Gary for your help in getting the stripes

Dusty

Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFH View Post
If you follow the contour up the side, the top of the stripe would be below the crease by approx 2 inches.

Thanks Again, Gary for your help in getting the stripes

Dusty
that measurement is to the bottom of stripe and came from an original car

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Hello Gary

Where did you start the measurement from, I. e. the bottom of the rocker pinch weld or another spot. Did you go straight up or follow the contour of the side of the vehicle?

This sure is confusing, the assembly manual is what is confusing, Just trying to get them installed correctly.

I had stripes on the car before I repainted it, sure wish I would have taken the measurement before stripping it off.

Take Care,

John

Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John as Ive said before all I have is a ruboff and marked it "bottom of body to bottom of stripe 16 inches"
Have you tried that measurement from the point the body folds under at rocker?