67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM

Default Front Steer Sub Frame Transplant

Hello All

I am going to build up a "68" Firebird Sprint 6 Clone and it may house the BMFH too someday. I didn't think there would be any difference 67-69, but maybe.

I am also going to retro-fit a Nova Front Steer sub frame to get more clearance for the Oil Pan, because the BMFH has a Dry Sump Oiling System and needs more room under the engine for pan clearance.

If you are wondering what is a BMFH, here is a link to look at.

http://www.geocities.ws/ohcjhatch/index.htm

I have heard that installing a Front Steer Sub Frame is somewhat difficult because you have to Re-Fabricate the front frame ears, and convert them so that the Firebird bumper can be mounted correctly. I don't want to cut off the Original Firebird Sub-Frame ears for the parts, and Destroy an Original Firebird Sub-Frame.

Speaking of Sub-Frames, does anyone have a Severely Damaged 67-69 Firebird or Camaro Sub-Frame that still has good front frame ears that they wouldn't mind cutting off the frame for me, and I would purchase them from you, just forward of the Suspension Main Cross Member, is the parts of the frame that I need, including the small cross member to keep everything in alignment. Some light damage could be OK, if easily repairable.

I can fabricate the new frame ears from Scratch if I have to, since I am also a Journeyman Level Welder and have been fabricating things for about 50 years, my Dad had a welding shop when I was growing up and taught me how to weld.

Has anyone else done a Front Steer Frame transplant? I would greatly appreciate any guidance from others that might have done this.

Take Care All, and thanks for your attention

Dusty

Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a stub that has nice front horns, but the rear of it it toast..like rusted in half...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

forgot to add that you may want to consider a rack and pinion.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

S & W makes a real nice rack and pinion bracket kit.