Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen
Default Starting a 406" turbo, stock block build.

Being my 463 I had planed on using, does not have good piston pins in it for this applaction, time to start another motor build.

I have a 74 400 and a 68 400. The 74 is stock needing a rebuild, and the 68 is .030 over with cast pistons.

PPR had a good sale on 400 .030 forged pistons, I got a set on the way.
What rings should I run with this? Planning on 15-20 psi of boost with stock iron dports.

I have a set of Eagle stock length rods.

Might bite the bullet and try and get a forged crank. How much does it cost to turn a stock crank?

Would love to go solid roller cam, but then would have to use iron d-ports for heads. (also got the Pete Mcarthy porting video on the way)

This will have a victor dominator EFI intake, with a 70mm throttle body, and 80lb injectors on E85 or E98 for fuel.

Need to get main studs, and head studs, and get the block to the machine shop.

Being this will be street driven too, should I fill the block?

Should be about 8.2-8.5-1 for compression. 4.150 bore, 3.75 stroke, -5.5 valve releafs, maybe .010 in the hole, have to see where the deck height is. 98cc heads.

Any suggestions on different parts?

Looking for 700-750hp on boost for this year.

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldnt worry much on the cast crank if rpm is under 6500. I'm doing similar with a nice 3.75 armasteel. I like the beef of the Icon forged pistons vs the cheaper forgings out there. I would say compression is about right for an iron head. Good prep is important as is keeping detonation/preignition and harmonics in check. Porting allows more mass flow for a given psi... Intercooling does as well. Both help to make /exceed power goal and do so at a lower rpm range... I have a very beefy 59 389 block and crank that has been massaged some.(crank also has a higher nickel content than a 400 crank I have. ) My power goals are much higher. (twin s472's) I'm porting a set of 6x's (extensively) but will likely start with less radically ported 4x's for now.

Block/crank... sharp edges need to be smoothed/radiused... will really help decrease places for cracks to start. BTW the shorter stroke helps keep stresses down.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You should run a "hellfire" type top ring. Do NOT use moly rings.
Second ring I like napier ductile iron.
Std tension oil rings.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can you upgrade the pins on the 463?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
Can you upgrade the pins on the 463?
X2, it seems to me that the 463 engine with a thick wall .990 pins and a matching custom piston to get the compression ratio to about 8.5-1 would be far cheaper in the long run.

Too bad that you already ordered the cheap deal 400 +.030 pistons.

The piston pin and connecting rod will always be the glue that keeps your engine together.

If a press pin ever moves then you will have a lot more damage on any performance engine.

Option #2,

can you send back the .980 pins and get thicker wall .990 blower pins and have then have your rods pistons honed for that pin? The assumption is these cheap deal 400 +.030 pistons had a floating pin (with locks) vs a pressed pin in the rod.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 400 turbo

that will be a great build, i am also planning on building a 400 in the near future, but i want to used edelbrock d port heads, want to see if i can get my 69 firechicken in the 8's et ...1/4 mile....

Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

Whats the tolerance in bob weight for pistons/rods in grams? +or- ??

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing...just my opinion but for what you are building (especially using a factory block) you should have sprung for lighter, alumimum rods.