The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Airbrush for rock chips?

Is it possible to use an airbrush to fix simple rock chips and a chip around a windshield moulding?

If so, what equipment is recommended?

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Why would you want to air brush it? Think that's how professionals make the repair when they phuck it up before they get the car to you?

Carefully float paint into the chip with a pinstripe or detail brush. It may take multiple coats. Build it up so that it's higher than the paint, cut it with paper, then burn it.

You can even do it with metallics, provided that the customer hasn't seen the damaged area. Even with serious stinkeye, you have to carefully study the area to detect the variance in the metallics.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, thanks for the info, but perhaps chill a little? It was merely an honest question from not knowing a better way.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What do the phrases "cut it with paper" and "burn it" mean?

Seriously, I have no idea, painting was never my field of expertise ....come to think of it ... I don't have a field of expertise concerning cars

JohnnyB

Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think he means wet sand and polish/buff.

If you want a seamless rock chip repair you'll need to level it out with the surrounding surface. I'm not sure how the airbrush guys level things out, or if they do it at all, but I fix chips the way sts describes.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Default Carnica airbrushes rock chips

I live in northern Illinois and there is a company named Carnica I went to. Their main service is to go to all the car dealers and fill in rock chips with an airbrush on all the used cars that are taken in. How do you think all those used cars look so good with all the road construction around? I had it done to the front of a previous car and the results were amazing. You couldn't see any evidence of a rock chip ever existing on the front bumper or hood area. Just smooth perfect paint that lasted the next year I had that car. Perhaps there is the same kind of service where you live. When you drive by car dealerships you will see the vans. Otherwise I would guess a talented person with an airbrush could help you.

Another option for you may be DR. colorchip. I watched the video on their website and just bought some for my other car. Online reviews seem to be good for chips but not so much for scratches. Haven't tried my kit yet.

Good luck to you.