Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Default ground straps/ locations- emblem info

Hey Guys, for a 66 gto.. looking at the pictures I have from disassembly and memory, (whats left of it)...the ground strap locations appear to be...

#1... at the frame rail to the inner skirt..pass side

#2...at the rear of the coil bracket , then to the firewall

#3 ??? I'm guessing at this one... is it the drivers side cylinder head to the firewall? or another location?

Part 2...the rear tail light section, letters...PONTIAC...were the original letters held in place by the tan/plastic nuts or were they the pressed steel with the sealer? My car had the tall -tan plastic, but I have seen the pressed steel in some cars...

Thanks Mike

Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

#1 Correct

#2 Correct

#3 Correct

Part # 8 in first attached drawing.
Second drawing is the first two straps.
These are 67 Assembly manual drawings, should be the same for 66, I believe.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg 033_0-13.1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	272427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg 448_35U-8.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	272429  

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 01-27-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure on the emblem nuts, but I'd venture a guess that the plastic ones aren't available anymore.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tan/plastic nuts for the tailpanel's Pontiac letters. You can still get the nuts, tho they are reproductions. I thought PY And Ames has them but right now I can't find them in their catalogs... I'm sure I've seen them.

The one place I can find them, and I'm looking at right now, is Page 137 of NPD's 8th Edition Firebird/Trans Am catalog. Besides PY and the Ames catalogs, The NPD Firebird/Trans Am catalog for me is a must have too. But, they are coming out with a GTO catalog..... soon, as they say.

Ground strap locations in the engine compartment for 66 are not the same as 67, as far as I know going by my 66. The ground strap for the front of the engine attaches to the A-frame cross member from the heater hose bracket. This strap might not be on all 66es. There is none on my 66 from the driver's side head to the fire wall. 3rd strap is from coil bracket to firewall.

Here are photos from my 66 GTO for the ground straps for the engine to cross member and right side inner fender to frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Strap - Engine to Crossmember.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	272456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Strap - Rt Inner Fender to Frame.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	272457  

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 01-27-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 PM

Thanks Oldgoat67 and Gt182, I appreciate the info, I'm always interested to find how they did some of this stuff back in the day...I have done so much modification to this car over the years, I have forgot most of what was "correct" as I try to go back to stock as much as possible...I did find the tan/plastic nuts in the Ames catalog #26 on page 121, but they appear to be for the quarter panels? I'm still interested in the third location of that ground strap...GT182 is it possible that different locations were used ? on my car, as much as I can remember, only had the first two locations, the third was missing...

Old 01-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure about different locations for the straps. I do know that the strap from the coil bracket to the fire wall and the inner fender to the frame are factory. It's possible the one from the heater hose bracket is not. Tho it's was there when I got this car. Whether or not the previous owner put it there I don't know. Another thing is that each plant could have installed them differently too.... that goes for air and non air conditioned A-bodies.

What we really need is other 66 and 67 owners to let us know where their ground straps are, especially original owners. Charles is the original owner of his 67 ac equipped GTO. You could even throw the 64, 65, and 68 thru to the end of the GTO production into the mix as well.

It's been said never take anything for granted on how these Pontiacs were built. We could have that on the ground strap installations too. Makes ya dizzy thinking about it. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Question

bump..still curious of the location of the third ground strap...