Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vacuum pump

Met with my engine guy yesterday. He suggested I might want to think about running a vacuum pump. I know nothing about them, though I do have a basic understanding of what they do. If I use one, it will need to be durable enough to withstand street use without needing a lot of maintenance. Feel free to recommend a brand/model. First hand experience only please.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM

I installed a Moroso pump last summer. I got the entire kit from Butler Performance. Takes 2-3 hours to install and has all the brackets, hardware and -10 hoses and fittings. The best thing I ever did. No more oil leaks or blowing oil through the breathers at wot.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk to http://gzmotorsports.com/ they will get you set up.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to JKrull66

Also useing the kit from Butler (3 vane). You might be surprised how small of a leak can zero out your vacuum reading. Also make sure you draw from an area shielded from the oil.
Good luck.
John

63 Lemans in the 9's race
66 GTO HT Cruiser
06 Triumph Rocket III TURBO! 2300 CC Bad boy
KTM 525 Dirt Terrorizer
POLARIS 900 RZR
10 GMC SLT Duramax Haul anything anywhere
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...app_2392950137
Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Talk to http://gzmotorsports.com/ they will get you set up.
Agree -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrull66 View Post
Also make sure you draw from an area shielded from the oil.
Good luck.
John
And - agree here too.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive looked at Star, Aerospace, GZ and Product Engineering. Havent made my mind up, but Im leaning towards this one;

http://www.product-engr.com/vacuum_pump.htm

I have read a lot of positive feedback from users of their fuel pumps, and its the only vacuum pump Ive seen that states as a feature 'Continuous duty'.

Have a setup question. Is it better to use a smallish pump with no regulator which would only produce max vacuum (~12-15#) in the upper rpm range? Or use a larger pump with a regulator that hits the same max vacuum number at a lower rpm and holds that vacuum as rpm's increase?

Last edited by Tom McQueen; 01-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have been using a Moroso 4 vane for over 10 years in a drag only application. Works great. However, I have had it apart numerous times to clean and inspect it. It uses high quality anodized aluminum components throughout, nice thick vanes, torrington and needle bearings on the shafts. I can't think of any reason why it would fail in continuous duty. Not much to go wrong in there.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
Ive looked at Star, Aerospace, GZ and Product Engineering. Havent made my mind up, but Im leaning towards this one;

I have read a lot of positive feedback from users of their fuel pumps, and its the only vacuum pump Ive seen that states as a feature 'Continuous duty'.

Have a setup question. Is it better to use a smallish pump with no regulator which would only produce max vacuum (~12-15#) in the upper rpm range? Or use a larger pump with a regulator that hits the same max vacuum number at a lower rpm and holds that vacuum as rpm's increase?
Unless you really want to spend $750, I don't see why a standard Moroso 3 vane won't work for ya. Billet body, hard anodized, carbon vanes, "self Lubricating", etc...

JMO,
Bryan

Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i had the moroso 3-vane kit from butler on my car and was very happy with it. best thing i ever did was send david my valve covers to make sure the oil control was right the first time. placement of the baffle is muy importante!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatracer View Post
Unless you really want to spend $750, I don't see why a standard Moroso 3 vane won't work for ya. Billet body, hard anodized, carbon vanes, "self Lubricating", etc...

JMO,
Bryan
X2works well

Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 2004 I got a modified Ford smog pump from Steffs. It seized in about half of the race season, so I got a Moroso and have been running it ever since.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 01-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What are you guys doing to seal the engine without a dual lip seal? I can't get mine to pull much vacuum. Put the seal in backwards?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run the BOP seal installed correctly and have no problem pulling 17-18" with a GZ 104 pro pump... would have pulled more but I could not shim the regulator higher.. Not bad for a inexpensive pump.

When I assembled my engine I put some regulated air pressure into the crankcase, then I sprayed all the surfaces down with soapy water... you would be surprised what you find... even found a couple pin holes in my canton pan where it was welded together...

I have it regulated to 10-12" ... when I regulated up to 17-18" it made 4hp more just for your info..

Chad

Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Star pumps are working very well on our personal engines and our customers. At least 10 in service at this point. Used others but Star is outstanding quality and workmanship throughout pumps, tanks, mandrels, alternator pulley, etc. He machines a very small chamfer in our Pontiac crank trigger wheels to allow fit and has a matching alternator pulley set up that all bolts up together. Also his mandrel incorporates a hex head drive to allow manually turning the engine over. Top shelf products...
Never had a problem pulling 12" vacuum when using a BOP seal installed as directed and using "Right Stuff" sealer.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

this was my set up befor we disided to build a all out GT roadracer
http://youtu.be/LkLQXSygmQM we tunned the pump to pull no more then 9 inch of vacume at 6000 rom when road raceing, the star pump hase a internal bij pass ...

Old 01-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default very clean set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage david View Post
this was my set up befor we disided to build a all out GT roadracer
http://youtu.be/LkLQXSygmQM we tunned the pump to pull no more then 9 inch of vacume at 6000 rom when road raceing, the star pump hase a internal bij pass ...
Just watch the vid or your engine compartment Very nice and clean set up. Looks sharp.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post

You should pulley it so it achieves the most vacuum u want at the operating rpm range. If you pull high vacuum at low rpm your wrist pins may gall from lack of splash oiling. If you get the pins coated it will buy you some insurance. If you regulate higher vacuum down it will work but it's an extra piece in the system you do not need if properly pulleyed. One less piece to fail

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have used them all with good results except Aerospace did not look good after 1 year of service.The Allpontiac Grand Am has a Moroso 4 vane,Don Green has a Product Engineering,the best bang for the buck is the Moroso,Star and Product Eng are both priceir but well built.We manufacture a combo valve for vacuum pumps that is both an adjuster and a safety blow off valve in case the belt or pump fail ,its the only one that will do both.Bill C.

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Old 01-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Chief

Talking C/NSS

For street use I would not use one. For street use it does not justify the cost. If you "must" have one, to get full benefit, you should install low tension rings and I use Moroso part# 22642 with good results.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moroso in a race only application. Pump has been there for lots of years and it still works perfectly. After every round I spray brake cleaner into it to keep carbon from building up. Tore it apart last year just to look..no issues.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!