Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 PM

Default Value of a 72 SJ?

Hello
I'm looking at picking up a 72 gran prix, front fenders and inner fenders are removed, radiator, condensor, bumper, cowl, hood, etc all removed. All parts seem to be there. Looks like it has the 15" ralleye II wheels, 455 auto all there. Power windows, brakes, cruise, ac, etc. Decent interior, silver paint with minimal rust evident, vinyl top removed,glass good. 116k showing on the odo. Needs a restoration, not a cream puff but seems to have all the original parts. Can I get some advice as to a price range of what it's worth? The guy is asking me to make an offer and I really don't know where to start. Thanks!
Dan

Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well pics would help ,matching # drive train ? ,, $1000 Bucks .

Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Yes the drive train is orig, non-running. Sat for 10 years in a dry garage. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david400 View Post
Well pics would help ,matching # drive train ? ,, $1000 Bucks .
Couldn't take pics due to all the stuff around and on the car. The garage it is in is full to the rafters. I moved stuff off it to check for damage and it appears all boxes were light weight with no resulting dents...

Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would examine the interior real close. If the seats are in poor condition, they can be expensive to restore, esp if one of the odd fabric/vinyl combinations. The odd thing about '69-72 GP's is the molded dashes seem to hold up better than same year LeMans & GTO's, so nice used dashes are out there for couple hundred dollars. For the most part, small interior plastic is shared with A-body. The lower front grilles on these are often damaged, not that easy to find show quality replacement.

On the rally wheels, I'd study them, & see if they are indeed KR's with the small centers, or common later HM or HW coded rally II's. KR's were factory installed on a few GP's. That would make a huge difference in value to me. As a numbers match '72 455 GP (is the car an SJ?) with a solid body, PW, buckets, cruise, A/C, tilt?, pwr bucket seat?, guages (std w SJ)... I'd say a $1000 is more of a smoking deal partscar price. Should be worth quite a bit more than that.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM

The wheels had the red pmd center caps. Next time I get a look at them I'll check the lettering. Where's the lettering at on the wheel? If it has those does that mean it's a radial tire car? I believe it has tilt wheel and is an sj...

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Would examine the interior real close. If the seats are in poor condition, they can be expensive to restore, esp if one of the odd fabric/vinyl combinations. The odd thing about '69-72 GP's is the molded dashes seem to hold up better than same year LeMans & GTO's, so nice used dashes are out there for couple hundred dollars. For the most part, small interior plastic is shared with A-body. The lower front grilles on these are often damaged, not that easy to find show quality replacement.

On the rally wheels, I'd study them, & see if they are indeed KR's with the small centers, or common later HM or HW coded rally II's. KR's were factory installed on a few GP's. That would make a huge difference in value to me. As a numbers match '72 455 GP (is the car an SJ?) with a solid body, PW, buckets, cruise, A/C, tilt?, pwr bucket seat?, guages (std w SJ)... I'd say a $1000 is more of a smoking deal partscar price. Should be worth quite a bit more than that.
+ the 12-bolt...probably a 3.07 gear with A/C

Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Chief

Had a '72 SJ just out of high school, what a blast to drive, 455 with a 12 bolt posi would eat up a Camaro or Fbird all day long! Took a while to figure out the loud click noise every time the doors were opened and closed was the power seatback locks (extra switches in the door jambs). I think the 15" rallies were a mid-year change so that would make them a little rare on that car if they're correct, might even have a fasten seatbelt lamp. Don't know what production numbers are for SJ, but grab it anyway.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'm going to keep talking and negotiating on this car hopefully I'll get her home I'll send more detailed pics at that time wish me luck and thanks again for all of your advice!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

there really is no market for our cars. (my opinion, dont kill me) basically comes down to what you want to do with it. Having all numbers matching etc etc blah blah really only matters to the current owner (yourself) No ones paying big bucks for numbers matching GPs. I bought mine because I ended up loving the stance, rear tail light setup and above all interior design of my 71 SJ. Ended up being numbers matching everything (455,400 12bolt) but didnt matter to me one way or another. However a numbers matching guru "made sure" I put everything away I removed. (trans, all engine acc etc)
paid 1500 for mine in running but needing resto condition about 8yrs ago.