Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 AM

Default Slickest way to remove a pilot bearing

Got this tip from Richard at American powertrain.
To remove a pilot bearing without making a mess with a grease gun, or potentially damaging one using a pick or something. Get a couple of WONDER BREAD hot dog rolls, squeez em down with your hand and start packing them through the input shaft hole.
When you can't fit any more in that way, use a clutch align tool or a wooden dowel
and keep packin the bread in. I used a wooden dowel that I increased the Dia. of with a couple wraps of electrical tape. As I stuffed more bread in, the Pilot bearing popped out! Worked so damn well I allmost re-installed it and did it again. Bearing was undamaged, reusable and I didn't have a bunch of grease to clean up. Bread cleaned off easy and is biodegradable. Hope this helps someone. Just trying to give something back to a community that has saved me countless times. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hydraulic pressure just in a different way! I'm a little suspicious BUT it seems plausible though. JD

Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like a blatant add for Wonder bread to me. I Wonder if it makes a difference that hot dog buns were specified?

I may try using Butternut Hamburger buns just to be different.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder bread has last week filed for bankruptcy , if we all use there product to work on our cars might help em out . I prefer whole wheat .

Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

how about wet tissue paper.....works the same as bread and grease...not as messy

Old 01-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It works - i was helping one of my best friends put the engine and tranny back in his '69 Firebird and we used that method (used regular bread) to remove his pilot bearing. Worked like a charm.

"We have got but one life here. It pays, no matter what comes after it, to try and do things, to accomplish things in this life and not merely to have a soft and pleasant time." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." - A father's words of wisdom to his children
Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default the right tool

well when i had my shop and i was working on cars day in day out. Found having the right tool also makes the job easier and quicker. Yes the bread or toliet paper work, but if its something your going to be doing more then 1 time haveing the Right tool is the way to go. this is one style I also have one that dosnt use a slide hammer if your trying to do it with just sliding the trans back.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mo...FUHCKgodp3WxXA

Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Suspended

What if Wonder Bread and toilet paper are sold where you live (this is Texas after all) then what do you do?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Is this a trick question? It is a wonder that they ever sold white bread and tp in Texas,I know, my brother just moved there from Cali. , and told me so!!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Suspended

I meant to say "aren't sold where you live?" I have trouble telling jokes too.

The bread thing sounds like a good idea I have used the grease thing and it works but is sure a mess afterwards. And just think if you lube you car with Crisco you could even eat the bread when you are through.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to be clear....are we talking pilot bushing or bearing? I have used the grease method with a pilot bushing with great success, but was not sure it would work with a bearing. BTW....you gotta clean both up. THink I'd rather leave a little grease in the bearing then bread crumbs, toilet paper etc. Nice to know if your out of grease I guess!!

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansMtngto View Post
well when i had my shop and i was working on cars day in day out. Found having the right tool also makes the job easier and quicker. Yes the bread or toliet paper work, but if its something your going to be doing more then 1 time haveing the Right tool is the way to go. this is one style I also have one that dosnt use a slide hammer if your trying to do it with just sliding the trans back.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mo...FUHCKgodp3WxXA
You're correct, use a tool instead of grease or bread. No offense meant to anyone, but people seem to not realize that when they pound the bearing/bushing out using grease or bread they are beating on the end of the crankshaft and transferring all of that force to the main and rod bearings, and other components attached to or operated by the crankshaft. Same thing in reverse when using a slide hammer-type tool. I have a tool like shown on the Global Industrial link you posted; bought in 1963 when I had to change the pilot bushing in my 56 chevy. Still have the tool, wish like hell I still had the car.

Last edited by 6T5 Cat; 01-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.