Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron with all the problems/errors I had when I took it out last year I didn't pay much attention to the flash. Was surprised I had to shift into 2nd so fast. I have a crane shift light with the bells and whistles I'm going to install this winter. It has a play back that is supposed to show all shifts but it looks cumbersome to use

Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you confirm the size of the fuel line from the tank? Is the tank sumped or are you running a cell?

-6an is small IMO for where you are.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put it in myself. 5 gal sumped fuel cell, about 1' of 8an to Mallory 140 filter, Aeroquip push lock 6an to Mallory 140 pump, to Mallory bypass regulator. 2 6an off reg to carbs. And I have an 8an return line dumping into the top of the cell. Also using 8an for fc vent. I was watching the fp and rpm at the top end and pressure was around 6#s. Running 72s in carbs.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Need bigger supply line from tank to regulator running dual quads...IMO..
I run dual modified 750 Comp.AFB's on a Wenzler TR myself.
Have # 10 to pump & then to regulator. From regulator I use two #6 lines to carbs...one to each. I want to go a #12 from cell to pump...
I would go at least a #8 from pump to regulator...
Not to say you don't have a converter issue too...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I do have enough 10an to rerun both lines and it wouldn't be a problem as I had to drop the lines to install the cage but I didn't think I was there yet. If I have a fuel issue could it be caused by the angle of the motor. Since I lowered the back of the car the motor sits on more of an angle than I would like with the Wenzler or Victor. Back was so high I couldn't recline my seat enough to see traffic lights. Had to drop the bowl fuel level a fair bit as I set the motor angle with a SD intake on it which compensates for the motor angle. Guess I grasping

Old 01-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely run a bigger line to the regulator. You won't need to increase the return line. You may have pressure, but the volume is most likely not enough.

Talk to a converter company and give them your specs. Personally, Continental has been right on for me with 3 different changes over the years. PTC, ATI have been well recommended here. I think Continental will come in a bit less overall cost wise and will deliver.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Ron, I have sent in my specs to ati. That treemaster mtr looks like a lot of converter for the buck. Will also send Cont. the specs too to see what they come up with. Have a TB I haven't used yet but once I get the appropriate conv. I may give it a try. I have talked with Coan but they are leaning to a 4200 stall.

Alan

Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Need bigger supply line from tank to regulator running dual quads...IMO..
I run dual modified 750 Comp.AFB's on a Wenzler TR myself.
Have # 10 to pump & then to regulator. From regulator I use two #6 lines to carbs...one to each. I want to go a #12 from cell to pump...
I would go at least a #8 from pump to regulator...
I have everything to change over but after giving it some thought I either don't understand my fuel system or I'm still okay with the #6. My Mallory 140 is supposed to output something like 110 @ 12psi as I have no regulator in the pump. I have it going a #6 running to a return style regulator. The return is a #8 so there is very little resistance going back to the tank which means the pump isn't working hard. I have the regulator set for a max of 7psi for argument sake which is also the point here the regulator starts bypassing. So the way I see it if I do not see a drop in fuel pressure I still must be bypassing therefore I should have enough fuel going to the carbs. If the pressure was to drop that would mean I cannot supply enough fuel at a given pressure and am no longer bypassing.

What am I missing as the fuel system appears ok to me?

Thanks,
Alan

Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY400 View Post
I have everything to change over but after giving it some thought I either don't understand my fuel system or I'm still okay with the #6. My Mallory 140 is supposed to output something like 110 @ 12psi as I have no regulator in the pump. I have it going a #6 running to a return style regulator. The return is a #8 so there is very little resistance going back to the tank which means the pump isn't working hard. I have the regulator set for a max of 7psi for argument sake which is also the point here the regulator starts bypassing. So the way I see it if I do not see a drop in fuel pressure I still must be bypassing therefore I should have enough fuel going to the carbs. If the pressure was to drop that would mean I cannot supply enough fuel at a given pressure and am no longer bypassing.

What am I missing as the fuel system appears ok to me?

Thanks,
Alan
Here's a way to check the resistance: Turn the fuel system on and open the regulator to full by-pass. Watch the pressure on the gauge it MUST be below 3# of resistance with a preference towards less. I had all -8 feed/return lines, 140 Black pump, Holley return regulator, Klushmann stainless log pre-filter. When I trsted mine it had 1.75# resistance well into the acceptable range. If you have higher than 3# of pressure on full by-pass then your system is not setup right. JD

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good advice JD.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=681346

Here is a couple converters for good prices that might be an option.