The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Default anyone repop rear roll pan for 79-81 firebird

Anyone know if they make the rear roll pan that that is behind and under the rear bumper cover and structure for the 79-81 Firebird.I think this piece is the entire back section of the car with the tail light cut-outs. what i really need are the lower sections where the bumper structure goes through the tail section. My 81 is rusted on the rh rear corner.I have a clean 79 t/a that i guess i could try and make a pattern from,but it looks like it would have to be contoured with a sand bag or wooden buck. Don't have an english wheel either.Sure would be nice if someone repo"d this lower section.Seen alot of eastcoast Firebirds rusted in this area.

thanks all Steve

Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Steve

Im going through this right now as well with my '78 Trans Am. the part you are refferring to is actualy two parts...

The bumper bracket goes through the Tail Light Panel AND the Trunk floor pan and then into a flange on the frame. The tail panel and trunk pan butt up against eachother and are welded. If you look and feel with your hands you can see where they meet. You are correct in assuming that the tail light panel is one piece, and it encompasses the tail light cut outs and goes down to where those cut outs are for the bumper bracket.

As far as I have researched, I have not seen anywhere that just makes the lower portions of either panel. My body guy says he thinks he can just fabricate pieces for that for me, because a new tail light panel is $300 plus a lot of labor to remove it. Nevermind whatever it would take to do the trunk pan.

Anyways hope that helped you a bit.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 PM

airtech - thanks for the info.I didn't know this piece was also attached to the trunk drop off.Looks like i am going to have to fabricate this piece.Other than this area and one small hole on the drivers side toe board the car is rust free.good luck with your project.

steve