THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow so it's the original engine?
1969 xf 428, 370 hp gran prix engine. congrats!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

does it have the original carb? that'd be: 7029268
also, it's 10.5: 1 comp.
info taken from wallace racing site: www.wallaceracing.com

Old 11-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by X312 View Post
update...last weekend I found a little time to get out and tinker with my new toy. I had quickly grown to love this car and knowing that most of it's restoration work was done in the late 80's, it truly amazed me. The paint, chrome and interior pieces were all in great shape and all intact. I knew that I was taking my chances when I bought the car.... well, my worst fear was realized as I came to the conclusion that my motor was in need of a rebuild.

No way was I going to fluff and buff them pawn off my troubles on the next guy so I'm deciding to dig in and do it right. I like stock looking but modern performing cars. To put a positive spin on this situation, I thought it may be a great time to ask the board members for a few suggestions in the following areas:

- suspension
- motor rebuild
- possible tranny swap to a 5 spd
- are there vendors that can help with servicing the p seat motor, window motors, etc.

the motor as it stands...XF / #62 heads, stock intake and quadrajet, cast factory headers. I will know more once we get it pulled out.

the car deserves it so if anyone can help, please chime in.

thank you...Jeff
What do you want in the end result?

No deviation from stock

Some modifications for driveability

or, restomod?

We are here to help, remember PY has all sorts of folks very knowledgeable.

Charles

Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM

yes to all of your questions. I do need to verify the carb #'s and story that I heard was that the builder in 88/89 put on a set of HO heads...do #62's point to that being true?

I promise the verify all casting #'s and such when it all gets pulled out and cataloged. My guess is that I can get close to 500HP with modern heads, intake and carb but I am trying to accomplish an honest 450+ with a quality rebuild and a little port work. I would like to keep the look stock when the hood is popped. the car also has a ton of stock options that I'd like to keep and IF I went with aftermarket heads and intake, those options may need to be done away with, I dont want to do that. Does anyone think I can reach my goal? Is there a group of threads here that may help me cut to the chase?

jeff

Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
What do you want in the end result?

No deviation from stock

Some modifications for driveability

or, restomod?

We are here to help, remember PY has all sorts of folks very knowledgeable.

Charles
in answer to your great questions:

- suspension. spring/shock suggestions. it's a heavy car so expecting slot car type handling is not even in my sights. Taking away the speed boat type feel over bumps and the ability to corner while limiting body sway is what I'm after.

- motor...internal mods are fine. I also want to be able to run 91 octane. when popping the hood, looking stock is what I like. I would like to retain my stock air cleaner, A/C, cruise control and load leveling options visually intact.

- tranny swap to a 5 spd...as long as I can keep the stock 4 spd console visually intact , I'm good with that. I build stuff to drive and use them so cruising RPM's with the A/C going is what my goal is.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i guess you'd have to check the build dates, but i'm pretty sure that your engine came with those same coded heads.
i dont think they'reconsidered "ho" heads because of the "D" shaped exhaust ports; but they are def. good heads: large valve, screw in studs.
i'm no engine expert.
(but i'm home today and it's raining so...)
the stock carb and iron intake are keepers; and will support much horsepower, the heads will too... i do know that much.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome aboard!! This is the best board out there! very nice people and very knowledgable!!

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X312 View Post
yes to all of your questions. I do need to verify the carb #'s and story that I heard was that the builder in 88/89 put on a set of HO heads...do #62's point to that being true?

I promise the verify all casting #'s and such when it all gets pulled out and cataloged. My guess is that I can get close to 500HP with modern heads, intake and carb but I am trying to accomplish an honest 450+ with a quality rebuild and a little port work. I would like to keep the look stock when the hood is popped. the car also has a ton of stock options that I'd like to keep and IF I went with aftermarket heads and intake, those options may need to be done away with, I dont want to do that. Does anyone think I can reach my goal? Is there a group of threads here that may help me cut to the chase?

jeff
Jim Hand & Rocky Rotellas Pontiac engine books should be of help to you on this. There are engine build up ideas in each book at the back. A properly selected roller cam will help this build, I think.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Welcome, fellow GP owner. Very nice GP. Is that C. Van Tune, as in Motor Trend?
I thought i remembered seeing that name somewhere before.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKGP View Post
Jim Hand & Rocky Rotellas Pontiac engine books should be of help to you on this. There are engine build up ideas in each book at the back. A properly selected roller cam will help this build, I think.
I appreciate the tip on the books. I just ordered them and I figured I will have my kids wrap them up for me for X Mas....at least I'll be getting something that I'll use

thanks again