Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 GTO 455 $22,500

Hello all,

I'm selling my long term restoration project. I'm going to leave it on PY for a couple of days and then EBay it.

1970 GTO Coupe. In short, this is a very nearly complete project that I cannot complete due to the demands of young children and a lack of spare time to work in the garage. I began a frame-off restoration many years ago and the dirty, heavy, and expensive work is all completed. The car is around 95% assembled, it is an inspected, running, driving car.

This is a true 242 car with a 455 and TH-400, A/C, PW, PS, PB. The Frame, Body, Block, and Trans are all S/N matched. All other components are as they should be regarding P/N and date codes. The only things I know FOR SURE that are not “original” matching components are the Carb, Dist., and Alt. The incorrect components have been replaced with a “correct” component with a reasonable date code for those interested. In example, the carb is now a -268 carb with a date code that is around the right time frame for the production sequence of this car. It only took 4 years to locate that component.

While the “Matching Numbers” thing is cool, it isn’t really what this car is about. I built this car to be drivable and solid. I wanted to make stealthy upgrades when possible and make it the best overall street car possible without any bad manners.

I will detail what needs to be done first (the bad news), and then what has been done (the good news.)

TO BE FINISHED:

Paint and Body: The Endura has a few significant cracks, and should really be refinished.. again. The body has been painted and requires some touch up to chips here and there. There is one area of approximately 1 square foot that requires respraying. The Black vinyl top is installed. The Stainless trim is almost all polished and approximately 50-60% installed. The drivers key lock requires installation. The stainless weatherstrip mouldings need installation, window alignment, and the door panels can be installed.

Interior: Rear seat installation, Quarter trim installed, door panel installed. New dash in box. New dashboard gauge bezel in box, new tach in box. Front seats are done. Rear seat is great, not requiring recovering unless you’re looking for more ways to spend money. Restraints are almost all installed, new hardware for anchors was obtained.

Frame and suspension: Done

Engine and Trans: Done

Diff.: Done

Electrical: Done

Exhaust: Some final touches needed such as rearmost hangers, and tips installed.

A/C: Need Compressor rebuilt, many hoses and lines in hand.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE:

At each stage of this process, I tried to maintain the “stock” appearance while providing any available upgrades in performance available. In short, everything I’ve done was what I felt was the very best available solution for each question, regardless of cost.

The frame was acid dipped, then primed and painted with PPG products. All bushings and wearable components were replaced with a combination of rubber and poly. The anti-sway bar is a huge Helwig unit with oversize fasteners. The steering box was completely rebuilt with new quick ratio internals. This isn’t an F-Body swap which kills your turning radius, it’s the original box reworked to gain steering quickness. This was performed by Chip at Power Steering Specialties.

All brake, fuel, and vapor return lines were replaced with stainless. All clamps are new.

The body was pretty solid with only a little rust related repairs in the usual places. All rust was excised and replaced with metal. To my knowledge, all components are original to the car.

The diff. was rebuilt and upgraded to a Detroit TrueTrac while maintaining the original 3.07:1 ratio. All seals and bearings are new.

The driveshaft is a new HD steel unit.

The TH-400 was rebuilt locally with upgraded internals. The converter is a Continental “tight” 10” Jim Hand special.
The engine was professionally built and dyno’ed at Owens Racing Engines in Pearland, TX. At 473 C.I. it carries many upgraded internal components, but is running lowered compression to easily digest Regular pump gas. The dyno indicated 388 HP and 525 Lb Ft. The cylinder heads were prepped in the event I ever chose to run 1.65 ratio rockers. The engine utilizes R.A.R.E. exhaust manifolds and a Pypes system. Summit 2801, Custom Diamond pistons, etc. The engine is not a race motor but feels great on the street.

The electrical system is 100% new with every single wiring harness new from M&H Electrical.
There is a boatload of other stuff that goes with a project like this, you get it all. I’m pricing it fairly and wish to entertain serious offers, no trades. I'm listing this car for just under 50% of what I have in it as I want it gone quickly.

$22,500

Matt
Cell 281-788-9554
airdoc68@aol.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110211 GTO Front.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	262373   Click image for larger version

Name:	110211 GTO RF.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	262374   Click image for larger version

Name:	110211 LF.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	262375   Click image for larger version

Name:	110211 LR.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	262376   Click image for larger version

Name:	110211 Eng RF.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	262378  

Last edited by 78 GHOST; 11-05-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to see that you're selling your GTO, Matt. Truly a labor of love . . .

Good luck with the sale!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Lloyd.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never considered your car a project. I thought it was very nice.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To whomever buys this vehicle, will be obtaining a fine machine.
Matt has gone to great lengths to build a vehicle that anyone would be proud to own.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
To whomever buys this vehicle, will be obtaining a fine machine.
Matt has gone to great lengths to build a vehicle that anyone would be proud to own.
Well put, Larry.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, sad to sell.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your going to regret it. Don't do it.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad to say the GTO is gone to a new home. Got nearly what I wanted and am sad to see the car go, but happy to move on to the next phase in life.

Thanks for all the support guys,

-Matt

Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST View Post
Sad to say the GTO is gone to a new home. Got nearly what I wanted and am sad to see the car go, but happy to move on to the next phase in life.

Thanks for all the support guys,

-Matt
Glad you got 'er done, Matt.

Local buyer?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 PM

I am sorry for your loss and hope that the reasons you sold it work out.

Perry