Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Laptop

In the market for a new laptop since my old 2gig RAM Leno T (7200 RPM drive) with windows XP has died. I need some experienced recommendations for the following:

1. Good place to purchase? I'm not opposed to Best Buy since it would be nice for repairs however I want to ensure I don't miss any good websites that may get me more bang for the buck.
2. I need a recommendation for a laptop that will handle HD video and HD editing. For the most part my Lenovo did OK for everything but would get VERY hot & take a long time to convert files (sometimes all night) when I consolidated the kids sports videos at the end of the year. I'm familiar with computers and allot of the terminology but I am by no means an expert.
3. Some features I'm looking for to give a ball park idea of what I "think" I need. (15'" screen, something that will easily handle my HD video (do I need a gaming computer?) better graphics cards, SAD?) I'd have to say the 3 most important items to me are being capable of handling HD video processing, would really like to stick with something close to XP software and having 14-16" screen. Everything else is really not a big deal to me. The budget is $1500 out the door.

* Does anyone have some good laptops they would recommend?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always liked dell,excellent support-warranty IMO.
Have several customers say the same thing.
Get the extended warranty 2.
The one at $999.00 is the 1 I'd get looking at you're need list.It was $1450.00
Core I7 and at least 6gig memory, 8 is better .
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=us&l=en&cs=19
http://www.dell.com/content/products...corp&~lt=popup click on "Tech Specs"
Performance lappy's run hot, easy to fix with 1 of these.
Keep in mind heat is the killer of electronic components.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834997730

BTW; forget XP it's a tired, 11year old OS, soon Microsoft will not support, get Windows 7 64 bit.Pro version.
and no I do not work for Dell.lol

Last edited by KS circutguy; 10-18-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

I work on computers every day. Avoid Gateway and the low line Toshiba's.

Samsung, Sony, and HP make very good laptops. I bought myself an HP back in february and it has been great. Got some good hardware in it for $680. I would say shop best buy, but then again I work for Geek Squad.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ironically I was looking at the XPS tonight and Dell is very are good about getting you with "add on's" since I came up to about $1800 however you hate to compromise when you are going this far in the first place. The HD video editing is where my cost is really coming into play. I have Dell Vostro for work and really like it. The latitude I had before that was very durable as well. Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Much appreciated.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We bought 27 Dell E6400 XFR computers for work at nearly $5k a pop. Within the first year or so, 7 of the hard drives have failed and four of the keyboards have failed... I'm not impressed with Dell.

I have a newer HP Probook with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit... The only reason I upgraded from my 2004-model HP NC6000 with XP Pro and a 1.7 Ghz processor was that it wouldn't handle the HD video out of my camcorder without getting choppy. That old 2004 HP is still going strong with my parents.

Whichever you choose, though, make sure you go in the store and try out the keyboard and touchpad mouse if you'll be using those much. I didn't have that luxury over here, and I don't like either the keyboard or the mouse nearly as much on my new HP as I did on the old one. (No big deal if I use it exclusively on a desk with an external keyboard and mouse, but a slight annoyance to use on my lap.)

Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Being an old Dell employee I've giving you the best advice out there. Stay away from Dell! They have the worst customer support and service. Top it off with their use of the cheapest components out there. Then add the final touch of Zero quality control and pretty much no engineering these days. I suggest Toshiba or Acer for your new computer they are hungry and will back their products not try to push you past that golden 21 day return policy that Dell has once your past your stuck with the lemon the sold ya!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing against Andy, but I wouldn't buy a damn thing from Best Buy!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
+1
5 years ago i bought a $12 flash drive,,had it 3 days
i took it back for a replacement and was told it had to be sent in for repair/replacement
sure i can wait a month,,duhhh
used to buy all my electronics there but havent since this dispute
their loss,,,,,,amazons gain

Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure about the stores you all have been to (flash media isn't even repairable) but the only customers I have seen unhappy at the location I'm at are the ones who want things for free and don't get them.

I love it when a person gets all upset that a service costs money (but I bought it here, wah wah). It makes my day to explain to them that no one does anything for free and they can either get their stuff fixed, or keep it broken. I'm one of the few employees who doesn't need a manager to handle my conflicts.

If you come up to Northbrook Il, we can set you up with the solution you need. lol

Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well to me i think its outrageous to have to wait a month for another drive,,especially only having it 3 days.
i dont consider that being a wah wah but simply treating a customer fair.
theres just too many other places with better business policies.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you know, you newegg.com lol
http://www.newegg.com/

Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
Not sure about the stores you all have been to (flash media isn't even repairable) but the only customers I have seen unhappy at the location I'm at are the ones who want things for free and don't get them.

I love it when a person gets all upset that a service costs money (but I bought it here, wah wah). It makes my day to explain to them that no one does anything for free and they can either get their stuff fixed, or keep it broken. I'm one of the few employees who doesn't need a manager to handle my conflicts.

If you come up to Northbrook Il, we can set you up with the solution you need. lol
My post has nothing to do with service, it is actually about their business practices. When they post an ad with a price, and you go in and the item is priced differently, and you pull up the and show them the advertised price, and at first they offer to sell you the item at that price. Then when you try to pay for it, they tell you that you have to go through their business center and then later reneg on the price, screw them.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure when that happened. I do price over rides all the time to match our online sales or competitors.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Google "Best Buy optimize"
http://consumerist.com/2010/01/consu...-of-money.html
That's all you need to know.
Best Buy is a joke.

Last edited by bastard; 10-20-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard View Post
Google "Best Buy optimize"
That's all you need to know.
Best Buy is a joke.
Yep, because the internet is always 100% correct. I do those pre setup computers. They gain 5-8% increase in load times on average and have all the service packs/updates done and av installed as well.

We only do up to 25% of computers pre set up like that, and if a customer wants the last one that is set up, but doesn't want the services... They get the computer without the charge. The main thing with them are the made recovery discs. Not many people know about, or know how to make them until it is too late. Then they need to order them and wait. Most people who get the pre set up computers are people who have had hd failures and did not have the discs.

You can cry all you want, but the reason something like that is offered is because many people like it. If no one wanted it, it would go away.

I recommend buying from a store (doesn't matter to me if its bby or not) as you can use the computer and return it within the return policy if it doesn't suit your needs and get a different one. Try doing that online.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Yep, because the internet is always 100% correct. I do those pre setup computers. They gain 5-8% increase in load times on average and have all the service packs/updates done and av installed as well.

We only do up to 25% of computers pre set up like that, and if a customer wants the last one that is set up, but doesn't want the services... They get the computer without the charge. The main thing with them are the made recovery discs. Not many people know about, or know how to make them until it is too late. Then they need to order them and wait. Most people who get the pre set up computers are people who have had hd failures and did not have the discs.

You can cry all you want, but the reason something like that is offered is because many people like it. If no one wanted it, it would go away.

I recommend buying from a store (doesn't matter to me if its bby or not) as you can use the computer and return it within the return policy if it doesn't suit your needs and get a different one. Try doing that online.
No one crying here, Geek boy.
Your store rips people off, plain and simple.
Here are a couple of threads from Best Buy's own forum:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Bu...uot/td-p/86418
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Bu...cam/td-p/21832
But of course, the internet never lies, right?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I recommend buying from a store (doesn't matter to me if its bby or not) as you can use the computer and return it within the return policy if it doesn't suit your needs and get a different one. Try doing that online..
amazon does
and rather easy to deal with
perhaps your store has better policies than here,,im sure stores vary

Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
+2. IMHO, Best Buy is Worst Buy.

I go to CompUSA for all my computer needs.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I gave my old computer to my parents, I read up on the web and learned to slipstream. The recovery disks I built to send them with the computer have all of the Windows XP Service Packs built in, as well as Firefox, Adobe Reader, Google Earth, etc.

All done with free software from the web, and a few minutes of searching on google.

Silly to pay someone for that service, IMO.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

bab, please understand, no matter where you buy, there are complaints about that business. i'd like to ask those that posted links on best buy to search the other vendors mentioned & see if you don't find negative posts.

good news travels fast, bad news travels the speed of light. very few bother to post the good yet many, many more will eagerly post the bad....it's just the way it is.