Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Default THE THIRD GTO

Hello fellow Pontiac lovers this is my first time posting although I have been lurking here for quite sometime. I bought my first GTO a 1966 four speed,maroon,factory tach,3:55 rear gears. I was around nineteen years old the year 1985. My mom saw the car sitting in the back of a used car dealership my dad (also a pontiac fan) and I went and looked at the car everything looked good other than no engine. Bought the car and took it home and started looking for an engine. My dads buddy (also a pontiac fan) had just found his boy, who is a year younger than me, a 1965 Catalina at the car auction. the engine was a 389 with 400 heads and a tri-power set up. When they bought the car it came with a stack of paper on the work that had been done to the engine. Well we start racing all the local guys in this big ol Catalina and were beating them and this thing has some kind of airplane gears and a column shift. Not long after this the ol Catalina met up with a telephone pole and I bought the engine for the GTO. I CAN STILL REMEMBER THAT FIRST RIDE took the car out the road about a mile turned around at the neighbors farm. Put the car in first gear tached her up a little and let the clutch go just a little tire spin. The car starts to hook, and I go all in, power shift to second, in come the deuces and its all ,all I can do, to keep her straight this thing is wailing like a banshee now third gear ,this thing is flying gotta get on the brakes 90 degree turn coming WOW WHAT A RUSH turn around and do it again. NEIGHBOR SAID HIS COWS QUIT GIVING MILK BY THE TIME HE GOT ME STOPPED!!!! Many many street races in this car after that, but I'll post those some other time. Sold the car a few years later biggest mistake of my life. The second GTO another 1966, green, automatic on the flour ,two speed, tall rear gears not near as fun as the first one, but what a highway car. I'm not sure what the top end on this car was after the speedometer disappeared and I STILL HAD THROTTLE LEFT I would chicken out and back out of it. Mint condition car, sold it, and thought about those two cars for something like 20 years. THE THIRD GTO well I,m picking it up in a few hours, 1966 black on black, 389 numbers matching engine, fresh rebuild ,pretty much stock on that, m21 and a 12 bolt rear, console, factory tach ,four barrel, body off restored a few years ago very nice. HOPE TO NEVER BE GOATLESS AGAIN. So I have been looking around here and other sites for the last week or so trying to brush up on everthing wow lots going on. Already thinking about pulling the original engine, putting it aside, and building something a little wilder! Well only one thing left to do before picking up GTO number three, send my drivers license into the DMV, NEVER HAD THEM MUCH WITH GTO 1 AND 2 And last but not least I would like to go ahead and apologize to all the farmers between Pittsburg, Pa and Breezewood, Pa if your cows don't give milk in the morning, I'm sorry, it has been 20years!!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tin cool story. Your fist GTO sounded bad azz. Good luck with the tird GTO.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet story Tin and don't ya just kick yerself for selling the first two? I went thru the same thing except I totalled my first GTO, could not get the second one to even start and sold it. That second one was in 1973 and it wasn't until 2007 I finally got my third GTO. 24 years is a long time to go without. Life is grand now not being Goatless.

And welcome to PY...... life as you knew it will never be the same again. It will be better. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the great story. Hope your new car creates some more memories. After 20 years, it sounds like your ready to have some fun! Mike

Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So you still in the Pittsburgh area,if so where abouts?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm about two hours east of Pittsburg on the turnpike, Breezewood area.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Breezewood used to be one wild town back in the 80s. I've stayed there overnight a few times on my way to Pittsburg delivering new cars. Rt 30 is a bitch to run to get there too..... in an Anchor Clanker. Or should I say a hair raising experience. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been 'by there' many times on the turnpike. Town of Motels.

I live south of Pittsburgh.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Senior Chief

Good Story Tin,

I got my first GTO in 1983, also a 66, but hardtop auto tripower. I also spent many years out of the GTO hobby and got back into it a year ago. It is great to be back. Welcome back to you.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 AM

That's was a great story tin indian....I know for a fact the story is very true as the first gto you ae talking about was the very car my brother owned before you bought it.........when you owned it, it was one of the cars to beat on the street..........you will have to tell the story of the blue 66 you got a ride in over the weekend.............by the way the black 66 you just bought is a very nice car.glad to see you got another one

Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for sharing a great story. Hope your new goat brings you a lot more joy and louder burnouts lol also welcom to py forum!

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 09-30-2011, 02:07 PM

Default HEY SHEEDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by c sheeder View Post
That's was a great story tin indian....I know for a fact the story is very true as the first gto you ae talking about was the very car my brother owned before you bought it.........when you owned it, it was one of the cars to beat on the street..........you will have to tell the story of the blue 66 you got a ride in over the weekend.............by the way the black 66 you just bought is a very nice car.glad to see you got another one
Should have known you would be on here guess we can't help it Pontiacs run in our blood, remember buying parts from your dad a long time ago. As for the ride in your blue 66, took about a week, but my heart rates almost back to normal. I don't know why they put a chicken strap above the glovebox of a GTO its in terrible place to get ahold of when you really need it!!!!! Got your text message about the 400 block thanks may take you up on it

Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Yea its yours if you want it......get ahold of me sometime when you have a chance.....I remember you guys coming to the house and getting parts off dad.....my brother said to have you get ahold of him...call me or text I'll give you his number