THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Craftsman tools available everywhere

I saw them at some big box store a month ago (for the life of me I cant remember where) and couldnt believe it. Today I saw them at Menards. Looks like Sears/Kmart is really trying to saturate the market with the Craftsman name.

I wonder if the quality is even less than what theyve been pushing for the last 10 or 15 years.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Default Craftman tools

Until a couple years ago, I thought, like you, that Craftsman was a Sears trade name. Might have been once upon a time, but it is now owned by a company named Danaher Tool. Danaher wanted more market share, and has been branching out to other distribution channels and other retailers.

I found this out when I was walking through the warehouse of my employer, Applied Industrial Technologies. There were Craftsman pallets all over the place, so I started asking questions. Sears was great for retial trade, but did not have a presence in the industrial marketplace. They signed us up and continue to sign others up to move the product.

Not sure about the quality but we do not seem to have much trouble.

Bill

An all Pontiac T/A lookalike and a work in process. 99% done

Bill Jacobs
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They've still got a lifetime warranty on hand tools, including screwdrivers if you don't grind on them.

The only quality issue I've seen is that the wall thickness on box wrenches and sockets is thicker than in "the old days."

More outlets selling them means it's easier to find a place to replace broken ones. Menards, K-mart, Fastenal (I think) are among the stores that sell Craftsman now. But, in my case and with other people I know, only a handful of Craftsman tools needed replacement in my lifetime.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another place that sells Craftsman is Dillon Supply. I thinks they are found primarily in the south-east.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I keep a box in the bottom drawer of one of my chests that I drop broken tools into - every few years I bring them back - there are never many in there, and I usually have extras. I know guys swear by Snap-on but my Craftsman have done well by me.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Ace Hardware is/will be carrying Craftsman.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post

Jim
Yep, Farm and Home/ Ace Hardware has had craftsman for months.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Yep, Farm and Home/ Ace Hardware has had craftsman for months.
Ace does carry them the Mrs works their.

Below motor destroyed last fall

469, 6X-4's, 72 Intake, Ramair Manifolds.
3 inch exhaust with x-pipe
Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.061 @ 110.74
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

New motor

461 stroker
Edelbrock 87 cc dport heads
Performer RPM
Same Ram Air manifolds, and quadrajet

Results will be posted after the track
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

Unhappy

I went to an ACE thinking that if they sell Craftsmen they would warranty them...Nope...!
They just sell Craftsmen Tools.Told me to go to a Sears Store for warranty stuff...
Just my

My 1965 Lemans....
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds good.... Craftsman tools have always been pretty good. Now you can't get them pther places besides Sears is good. But I wonder if a brooken tool you buy at Ace or Dillon Supply can be exchanged at Sears.

I sure wish S&K was that easy to come by. Most of my tools are from them. I've bought a few Kobalt sockets and they seen to be pretty good too.

BTW.... has anyone bought a one of the Kobalt tool boxes? The tall stainless steel box on wheels that's about 24 t0 30 inches wide with the flip up top. I've been eyeing one of those and need some input if they're any good. I don't need the one with the frig or radio in it. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like Craftsman is trying to be competitive, Not sure if they can compete with the bigger brands. I don't have a problem with Craftsman tools,except that one has to go to the sears retail store in order to replace it. If I have a broken Snap on tool, they come to me every 2 weeks and replace or repair the defective product. Working on flat rate, one needs the tools to do the job Now not next time we make it to the store, Just my 2cts.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Craftsman screwdrivers and sockets have done me well with years of service, my ratchets died after about 2-3 years of heavy use and the salesmen at Sears gave me so much flak about it I never bothered to replace them (still sitting on the shelf 8 years on).

Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Sounds like Craftsman is trying to be competitive, Not sure if they can compete with the bigger brands. I don't have a problem with Craftsman tools,except that one has to go to the sears retail store in order to replace it. If I have a broken Snap on tool, they come to me every 2 weeks and replace or repair the defective product. Working on flat rate, one needs the tools to do the job Now not next time we make it to the store, Just my 2cts.
Bu if you need the tool that broke today, Most people live within 50 miles of a sears. What do you do if the snapon/matco tool guy is due to show up in a week or two?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
My Craftsman screwdrivers and sockets have done me well with years of service, my ratchets died after about 2-3 years of heavy use and the salesmen at Sears gave me so much flak about it I never bothered to replace them (still sitting on the shelf 8 years on).
Never had a problem returning any Craftsman tools to Sears for a replacement including rachets, take them back Ben.

Below motor destroyed last fall

469, 6X-4's, 72 Intake, Ramair Manifolds.
3 inch exhaust with x-pipe
Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.061 @ 110.74
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

New motor

461 stroker
Edelbrock 87 cc dport heads
Performer RPM
Same Ram Air manifolds, and quadrajet

Results will be posted after the track
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Summit Racing is also carrying them now. Don't know if they will exchange a broken one or not.
I have always been a Craftsman user, they just "feel" better in my hands than the other brands. But I have noticed lately that the quality just isn't there like it used to be 20+ years ago. Now if I really have the time to wait, I will go to flea markets and look for older tools. Generally you can tell just by looking if they are the newer ones or not. The new ones just don't look right.
Russ

Old 09-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Bu if you need the tool that broke today, Most people live within 50 miles of a sears. What do you do if the snapon/matco tool guy is due to show up in a week or two?
My local Snap on Dealer goes by everyday and is only a phone call away. I don't have any problems with Craftsman tools, they worked well when I used them, just had problems driving 100 miles only to find out they did not have the tool that was broke.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Menards is test marketeing Craftsman tools. The way Sears is bleeding cash, someday they'll just be marketing through the Craftsman and Kenmore brand names. Ever been to a Sears store lately? More staff than customers at our local one.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
My local Snap on Dealer goes by everyday and is only a phone call away. I don't have any problems with Craftsman tools, they worked well when I used them, just had problems driving 100 miles only to find out they did not have the tool that was broke.
Mine has been on the other side of "his zone" and had several stops before he could get there, Or it was his "day off" almost every time i've called. I have a sears about 15 miles away(small one) and a big one about 40 mile away with everything.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one of the reasons i hear they are everywhere, is because there may not be a sears in 2 years...i read the forecast for them and it is very grim...since craftsman is so big, i think they see it coming...just an opinion

i read a thing on AOLs site and theres like 10 name brand stores that wont be around by 2013 and sears was right on top of the list, they are shutting them down like crazy around here, its actually hard to find one around here..i know of one in Overland Park in KC K...but cant even think of another..and that place is a ghost town...its open but dont know why...

Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ill keep my snap on Ratchets, and dont worry about them breaking...
MAC TOOLS are now made in CHINA I was just told..
Of course Dewalt is too, but B&D has held them to a higher standard of manufacture