Old 09-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for the lengthy delay in replying. I have had a lot going on and just got to this item. This was originally posted within the thread started by Goat and Chicken Farmer entitled Installing Windows.

The only thing I didn't mention in the original reply is that I recall lubricating the window rubber with a little Windex and Soap mixed together. A little goes a long way.

Good luck, -Matt

If you're R&Ring the quarter glass stainless trim that carries the weatherstrip that seals the rear vertical edge of the door glass, I have a tip on replacement..

I had to switch everything over due to changing from clear to soft ray glass, and learned a decent way to carefully press the Stainless into place. Do not use any hammers!

I first removed the rubber weatherstrip from the stainless and worked only with the stainless, the rubber mounting tape, and the glass.

I took approximately 2' of 2" X 4" lumber and placed this on the ground. Then, I placed the stainless on the wood, oriented the rubber on the glass and carefully pressed the glass into the channel using my body weight.

If I recall correctly, you have to line up and start at the top, then everything should be in the right location.

I used thick leather gloves and protective eyewear in case the glass shattered.

Good luck,

-Matt

Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Well it has been almost a month since I last posted on our progress with Lucy's restorative surgery mostly because we have come to a grinding halt on forward progress. I have arranged with Just Dash's to redo our dash but I am reluctant to disassemble and send away our dash until I have an acceptable replacement in front of me. Just Dash's is having a hard time finding an un-cut core. We will probably have to send them ours. One of the guys from Legendary that hangs out here has contacted me about my seat grief, so we will remove the passenger seat cover AGAIN (I tore it in the first place) and send it back for repair or replacement. We will also replace the seat back springs this time so it matches the driver’s seat. We are getting lots of practice; I swear we will have built this car three times by the time we are done! Dad has ordered more door and rear quarter window seals in hope that he will find a set that fits right and actually contacts the window. (These will be the third set not including the originals) The engine wiring harness has been on back order for five weeks, so no progress there either.
On a more upbeat note, I was able to restore the original wiper motor and I had the proper replacement washer motor assy in my spare parts drawer. Dad took both door windows in to a local glass company and they were able to polish them beautifully, one had a quarter sized etch in the top corner that I thought was beyond help, but looks great. We will probably take the quarter windows back out for polishing as well.

If anyone has a 71 GTO dash core that is un-cut and is willing to part with it, please let me know.

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.