Old 08-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Default brake lights wont go off in my 72 455

Finally get the motor in my car after 6 months of work and now the brake lights wont go off unless I disconnect the battery. Headlights and turn signals work fine. Called a place and they say grounding issue. Have 1 ground from firewall to RH cylinder head but I dont have one from RH inner fender to frame ground. I havent had one there since I had the car and it worked OK. Should I put that other ground on? Gone over the car several times and can't figure out whats wrong and they're still on! Any suggestions. Thanks Kim

Last edited by My72455; 08-15-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is a switch that is triggered by the movement of the brake pedal. you should be able to see it above the pedal (makes contact with the arm). If it is out of adjustment the pedal arm won't engage(reach) the switch to turn off the lights.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I was thinking. By default, the brake light switch lights the lamps. The brake pedal coming up to it's resting position pushes the switch plunger in, turning off the lights. Try adjusting the switch on top of the brake pedal.