The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Senior Chief

Default Can I use this old paint?

OK, without all the background reasons, I need to know if I can still use some old paint. The car was painted approximately 20 years ago and has been in storage ever since. I am now finishing putting it together and need to touch up a few spots (small 1"x1" and 1" x2" areas) that needed fixing but weren't before it was painted.

The paint is Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 BC/CC. I have about a quart left in the last gallon that has been sealed all this time. I haven't opened it yet but it sounds and feels like the paint is still quite fluid.

I was thinking of taking it to the paint store and see if they could put it in a couple of rattle cans for me. I don't have a paint gun and don't really need one for just the small touch up spots.

My questions are:
1. Do you think the paint is still good and useable?
2. Is my rattle can idea the best way to go for the small touch up spots?
3. What can I use for a clear coat over this base coat?
4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry

Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is the paint still good ? ,, It could be , open it up check to see if it has ever skinned up or is settled out hard on the bottom of the can .If it looks ok it probably is . test it on some thing other that your car , just wipe alittle on something.

As for the spray paint cans , I bet you it would be cheaper to buy a small gun. if you all ready have a air compressor. And if the clear coat requires a activator , well your gonna need a spay gun anyway.

As for the clear coat , if you have to buy some anyway , just buy a small can of the rite stuff , a pint or a quart . I guess any automotive grade clear coat would work . Again test it first.
Good Luck.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is still good and liquid sounding, probably can use it.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can buy a cheap HVLP gun from Harbor Frieght for $10 with one of their coupons and they work fine for what your wanting it for. I use them for spraying primer or other stuff and you can't beat them for the price. You'll spend that much to have it put in a rattle can.
If the paint had been sealed and you can stir it with getting all the stuff that settled in the bottom to mix in, go for it. I've got some metallic laquers that are 20 years old that still good. Would I use them? Won't know till I need one.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Since the area is small you might consider using a PreVal unit. They are cheap and work very well with no need for a compressor. They are available at Napa or even many Ace Hdw. stores. When you are done you can just throw them away.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As long as its still sealed, should work fine.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Chief

I took the paint to a paint store yesterday afternoon. They shook it up for just a minute (not enough time IMO) and said it was gross and unusable. I looked at it and I'll admit it was very gross looking. So I'll probably just have them mix me up a new pint and go from there.

They also said the Harbor Freight HVLP gun was the way to go. They also showed me a Preval unit but said it doesn't have the spot control that the HVLP gun has. So for $10, I'll get the HVLP gun. New paint, new gun, I should be good to go.

Thanks for the help!

Terry

Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Preval sprayer is good for small pieces but not so for touching up spots. I used one for the lower header panel extensions for my GTO and it worked rather well. But I wouldn't use it to spot in paint for a body panel's touch up. Besides it's hard to clean one out if you want to use it again seeing you don't always use all of the propellant in it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgoater View Post
IThey also said the Harbor Freight HVLP gun was the way to go. They also showed me a Preval unit but said it doesn't have the spot control that the HVLP gun has. So for $10, I'll get the HVLP gun. New paint, new gun, I should be good to go.

Thanks for the help!

Terry
Make sure you find a Harbor Freight add in a magazine (Hot Rod has them and I think HPP does also)so you can get the 20% off coupon any one tool plus the one for the $10 gun. Otherwise it could be anywhere from $12-$20 in the stores.