Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 AM

Default Hurst/GP

these were always my fav GPs because of thier rarity. saw one on a car lot in texas years ago (in late '70s) think it was a '72 and rather beat up. theyre out of my price range now but curious if any member here owns one and would like to hear others comment on this rare poncho.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh you came to the right place.

Biggest Hurst historian, Harvey Morris is in Tampa.

A fair amount of them are restored and most owners are PY members.

Briefly, Hurst took new GPs and added their touches, Sunroof, vinyl top, paint and pinstripes, wheels, and emblems. (the extra S is for Sunroof or so the legend says, also maybe another play on the Duesenberg as well)

Hurst would customize the car to your taste. you could add options such as a radiotelephone, Sony TV, engine blueprinting, on bench seat cars a custom Auto-Stick Hurst shifter, custom paint, and even one car had a refrigerator in it! (Not exactly sure who put that in, Harv will comment) SOme had the 455 some had the 400 engine. All were automatics.

There is a lot of varaiability among the cars, being custom cars to be built as ordered, and of course Hurst just put them out there. Emblem location does vary, as does paint color. Off color cars were built as well, Green and blue cars have been restored, George Hurst had a silver one as well. Rumor has it a maroon car is out there too. Most are white but each year had black cars too, and at least one of each year black car has been documented by Harv.

70 was supposedly the highest production. But it's the hardest one to find. 72 is the supposedly lowest production, but they seem to be everywhere (comparatively.) But any Hurst car is worth the trouble to restore if you want a stand-out car. Does have to be explained a lot if you take it to a local show. Usually gets drooled over at a national Pontiac event. But like any car these days, restoration is a labor of love and not a money making endeavour.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM

thx for reply...the one i saw in texas sat next to a triple white near mint '72 J car which i bought and drove for about 3 yrs. another case of "wish i had it now"