Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Coil springs (again..)

Sorry, I have been through the earlier treads and could not find any answer to my questions...

So to a -71 455 Lemans sport convertible, non AC car I need new coil springs, the build sheet says Front RH "LV", LH "LZ" Rear RH "N2", LH "NL"

Can anyone here please take a look in their parts book and give me the Delco replacement numbers ? ( Yeah I know... I have bought the books but it will take a couple of weeks before I get them) I would also like to have the numbers to a GTO if possible.

And who will make correct springs ? I do not feel like Moog or simular springs will do justice to this car.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moot is a good option, Global West makes upgraded and affordable units. There is an an outfit around that will custom wind springs to your exact specs.

I'd suggest requesting more info. In the Suspension area.

Good luck,

-Matt

Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 AM

These guys should be able to get what you need: http://www.eatonsprings.com/coil.htm

Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I remember correctly, the driver and passenger side spring tension (if not the spring lenght also), is different. Compensate for the engine torque? Original springs I mean. That's why they had different part numbers.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did some research and nobody have different spring rates, well maybe the special order PY ones, but at 250 a pair ??

So I did order 45H0042 and 45H2019 from Delco, at least GM coil springs, will be good enough until I get the parts book and get the numbers to look for nos ones.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

My 72 lemans with a/c had different springs left and right. When I cut the springs, I did not realize they were different, and inadvertantly swapped them left to right. The car was not level, even after swapping them back, the car was still about 3/8" off level. I figure that they were different to compensate for the a/c compressor and evaporator on the passenger side in Pontiacs. In chevelles, the compressor is on the drivers side.
I have used eaton detroit spring, like the post stated. They are expensive, but they have the right info to make them accurately for you.

Mike

Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well according to my answer from Eaton they are the same on the left and right side.

So I did not order from them....

I am sure that the springs are good but I wanted them as close as original springs as possible.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Watching this thread for answers, I'll be in the same boat.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Sorry, I have been through the earlier treads and could not find any answer to my questions...

So to a -71 455 Lemans sport convertible, non AC car I need new coil springs, the build sheet says Front RH "LV", LH "LZ" Rear RH "N2", LH "NL"
Don't think that Delco is going to have these four different GM part numbers:

LV - parts book says to use spring code LT which is part# 400872
LZ - parts book says to use spring code LA which is part# 400876

NZ = 9789814
NL = 9788447

I thought that PY or Ames sold the exact OEM ride height springs?

Last edited by tripower; 07-01-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tripower

I will use the numbers on Ebay, just hope I will be lucky I guess.

PY is pricy but I will check with them just to make sure, will check with Ames, thanks for the tip :-)

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I am still looking, Ames does not have them, just the regular spring sets..

I will have the delco springs I orderd in the end of the week and will add a couple of before and after pictures and of course messure the ride hight to see how large the difference is from the factory specs.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The GTO Restoration guide has table that lists the factory ride heights for 71. They have measurements from floor to bottom of rocker. Only way I can think of checking it.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Will the weight of the ac really throw the car out of level? I mean some driver are 100 lbs others are 200 lbs. Put some one in the passenger seat, or in the back, throw a toolbox in the trunk and weight is all over the place. There are some spring charts for moog part #s floating around that list the specs of the springs but until someone installs it into the exact combo you have you cant be sure where its going to end up. Once you install post up picts and part numbers it help others out

Old 07-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
The GTO Restoration guide has table that lists the factory ride heights for 71. They have measurements from floor to bottom of rocker. Only way I can think of checking it.
I have the ride hights from the -71 shop manual, will post them with the pictures later, no problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustedgoat View Post
Will the weight of the ac really throw the car out of level? I mean some driver are 100 lbs others are 200 lbs. Put some one in the passenger seat, or in the back, throw a toolbox in the trunk and weight is all over the place. There are some spring charts for moog part #s floating around that list the specs of the springs but until someone installs it into the exact combo you have you cant be sure where its going to end up. Once you install post up picts and part numbers it help others out
I think you are right, and it is kind of silly in a way, but for me it is a goal to get my car back to the state it was when it was delivered from the dealer.

Does it really matter if the springs are of 10-20 punds ? no I do not think so.
But on the other side so did pontiac have around 40 different springs for the A-body in -71 and that is only for the front.... and from what I can see so far so did they not use identical springs on the right and left side.
So I guess there must be a reason why pontiac did this, would really like to know

Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Watching this thread for answers, I'll be in the same boat.
NO good answers to springs, as far as I'm concerned. Buy some and keep your fingers crossed.

Since GM quit offering the correct springs for these cars 30+ years ago, it's truly a crap-shoot!

Eaton Detroit has the OEM drawings and specs? Hogwash!!!!!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I meant to say about Eaton Detroit's OEM spring drawings and specs - right at the end of this clip, LOL!

Go Granny Hawkins . . . !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhJJPn5vRI

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a good day in Norway.... But I need to think about something else for a while..

So here are some pictures from the 1971 shop manual regarding ride hight and where to messure them.

Here are the hight chart

And where to messure, for future references it would also be nice to know the hight from the ground to the center of the wheel.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And I did recieve the rear springs today, sorry for the bad focus on some of the pictures, the new springs are ADdelco 45H2019 the old ones are GM code N2 Right, and NL left.

Here you see the delco and the NL spring.

And the Delco and the N2 spring

And all three, the thicknes of the spring is 0.0525 on the delco, 0.0515 on the N2 and 0.0525 on the NL

At last the delco spring has 4 3/4 turns, the N2 5 1/4 and the NL 5 1/2 turns.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The delco springs gave me a lift of 1,56" over the old ones and a rear hight of 9,65" not so bad, but the fuel tank is only 1/4 full and I guess they will drop some in the time to come, I will post the ride hight after I get the front springs in the end of next week, so for now it is just to enjoy the great 70's look it has