Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 GTO Emblem Templates?

Does anyone have a template or other method for correctly locating the rear quarter panel and lower front fender emblems on a 64 GTO? Yes, I am "adding the GTO option" to my 64 Lemans convertible. BTW, I was surprised to see that the dash emblem holes lined up perfectly as is.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rear quarter panel holes are the same for the Tempest and GTO emblems, and I assume that the LeMans would also be the same.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=428829

Old 03-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting poll, Don. So what is supposed to be the "correct" measurement? I guess the one's from cars made in plants other than Pontiac and Fremont? Or, if so many are "wrong" does that make the differing measurements the "standard?" If Fremont and Pontiac are wrong does that mean that two "wrongs" indeed do make a "right?"

Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill every original GTO That people gave me information some e mailed me had the same measurements one side was about 3/4 of an inch forward
the 4 64s I have here are all the same so I am assuming that who ever supplied the panels drilled them wrong and they were shipped to all the plants or if the were drilled on the line the jigs were made up wrong and sent to all the factories but for a long time that was the first thing i would check didn't need phs for that if that lil trick worked it was real no the cat is out of the bag so to speak . but I would bet everything I own that any "virgin" 64 you check will be drilled that way It has been proven that way to this point from late 63 to as late as July of 64 . I was sent information on cars built in ca mi and md all the same way .

To answer your question to be drilled wrong or as the originals are is right every original that responded is drilled the same .

At a local car show a couple years ago there was a nice 64 there . I told the owners they had a beautiful car and I said the did a great job on the repair on the right rear corner he looked at me strangly and they said how did you know it was replaced . The emblem is in the wrong place the drivers side is original but th passenger side isn't . Then I showed him the dollar bill trick if you 1/4 a bill on one side the bill will fit between the end of the script and the extention seam and on the other side about 1/2 an inch space is left over .

Last edited by 3 Deuce 64; 03-14-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many of you guys out there went and checked your cars after reading the post any more originanls want to reply ?I have one tempest left that has the 3 holes in it I took the emblems off and sent them to Lou in SC .I have to get up on the hill and check the placement of those holes I'll stick a gto script in it and see if it measures the same as the gtos would be interesting .It's an original car that has been up there 30 years still has all the original drive line in it I use it for reference . I'll post the findings of course Don

Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well guess what the Tempest is drilled the same as the GTO who would of thunk it

Ok so all you guys that have virgin tempests out there if you measure from the seam to the back of you emblems is there about 1/2 difference from the end of your script to the extention seam side to side or are they equal the fenders may have been set up for the tempest emblems and the placement may be different .

Interesting note notice the holes for the custom logo they are drilled off as well they are equal to the emblem but off from the extention seam as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0231.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	85492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0232.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	85493  

Last edited by 3 Deuce 64; 03-15-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What "custom" logo? Neither my GTO nor my Tempest have those holes.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor
What "custom" logo? Neither my GTO nor my Tempest have those holes.

There was a little square emblem that said Custom about 1/2 inch high and 3 inches long on the Tempest custom
The GTOs didn't have them only the up line Tempest this piticular car had power windows power steering power top day night mirror and carpets ....

Jim I'm thinking if you measure the distance from the end of the T on the passenger side and the end of the tempest script on the drivers side the distances to the extention seam will be the same because it was designed for that application . then they made the GTO script put it in the same holes but couldn't compensate for the tails on the tempest script . just for fun measure the distance from the end of the capital T to the seam and then the end of the tail of the small t on the drivers side to the seam . they may be equal unlike the GTO s being off 1/2 an inch side to side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1142544479_car (1).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	85514  

Last edited by 3 Deuce 64; 03-15-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM

I have a 64 Tempest Custom and am keeping it as a Tempest. My Tempest emblem look pretty good but the custom emblem has some pitting, were those used in any other years? any other way to restore them other than having them refaced professionally?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Fender & Deck Emblem status?

So it looks like the quarter emblems are different from side to side. I copied the pics someone had posted with measurements, That was awesome, Thank you!
Now I am looking for a template, measurements, or pics with reference for the fender emblems and the deck lid emblems.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!