Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to logikfive Send a message via AIM to logikfive
Default Putting together a combo...

This will be my first Pontiac setup, and I don't really know of any local Pontiac guys so I'm really looking for advice on whether the setup I have is going to be a performer or not, and if not what I could improve on. I've had this build going for about a year now and I've just been accumulating parts. I was following someones build that was very similar to this, but work got in the way and I lost the time to mess with it and forget who it was. Now that I'm back, I'm really wanting to get this thing finished so I can have something fun at the track with!

So my biggest concern is whether or not the cam choice I have is a good one, based on the rest of my setup, and which lifters would be a good idea. Down the road, maybe next year I plan on going full roller, I just can't budget it right now.

I have yet to order it, but I will be going with a (unless it's not recommended) Butler Performance 455-468ci rotating assembly to put in the 400 block.

400ci .060 over (I believe '77 casting, has a 11-bolt water pump)
72cc Edelbrock heads (stock out of the box)
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Harlan Sharp Roller Rockers 1.65"
Dougs Headers
Pypes Violator 2.5" Exhaust
Summit 2802 Cam (I wanted a roller but I can't swing it at the time)
750cfm Holley (Just what I have for now. I'd like to go FI later on)

Transmission is a TH400 with a 3000 stall 8" converter and a TransGo shift kit and a 3.23 8.5" 10-bolt axle.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Senior Chief

Default combo

I would think that with a big inch motor and 72 cc heads you'll have way too much compression. Billk

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

that 400 block may not be up to that kind of build .60 over on a 77 block that is.Others may correct my thinking on that , Myself I would want a pre 74 block for that build

Michael Hughes Sr
1966 GTO Convertable: Stolen never recovered
1966 GTO Hard Top .30 over 455 4-Speed 3:23 Posi
Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Not enough cam, you can easily run 10 to 15 degrees more duration than the 2802 has to offer. Something like the Performer RPM cam which is pretty much a copy of the RAIV cam would be a much better choice, the Crower 60919 is also equivalent to these two cams.

I would run a dished piston to get the compression close to 10.25:1 with the 72cc heads, you'll probably need a 30cc dish.

Your '77 400 block is not a good choice for a stroker engine, get an earlier block as already suggested.

Your converter and rear gear choice looks good.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

+1

More cam and I'm not sure about using an "8" converter with 3.23 gears in a vehicle that heavy. They don't typically couple very well below the stall speed, or in other words, very "loose" for normal driving......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),