Old 05-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dash carrier quality???

I've got a new dash and wish to put it in. The only problem is the dash carrier was cut for a radio.. I need a new one now. This is the large plastic component that contains the gauges.

I don't think PY offers these, I found one at Ames and I think the outfit in Ca.

Has anyone tried one? How was the fit and quality?

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright guys, the PY P/N is RPI070A and is listed as "1970-72 BEZEL-DASHBOARD, w/ AC, Black................$350.00"

OPGI, Ames, and Year one all sell the same component. I'm guessing they are all made by the same vendor? If not, are there fitment and quality issues from one to another?

Second, I'll have to install new wood and turned aluminum inserts. Another big question here is that some vendors sell the same component for a HUGE difference in price.

For example, the PY version of the lower trim is: RPI602 1970-72 LOWER VINYL DASH INSERT, swirled.........$17.00/st Ames is $69, OPGI is $82.

I think the Ames and OPGI parts are actually aluminum and the PY part is vinyl.

Can anyone comment regarding their experiences with any of these components?

Thanks,

-Matt

Old 05-09-2011, 03:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=547595
http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=569150

Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have purchased the burl vinyl, for 71, and the swirled, turned aluminum, lower inserts.
i'm pretty sure that all of these are available from PY.

niether are exact, but acceptable. the burl vinyl is less noticeable.
the aluminum inserts are nice, but the swirls are a little bit smaller on the repros.
def get the aluminum, thevinyl insert that looks like the swirled aluminum looks terrible.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pics, repro burl, aluminum inserts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01151.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	243817  

Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, thanks a lot for the links. That answers my questions perfectly. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods???

F Rock, thank you for the great pictures. It looks like you did a very nice job putting that dash together. With such a nice car, you must have felt great to see how nice that turned out.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the repop dash bezel as well as the more expensive aluminum swirl and woodgrain on my 70 and quality was fine on all of them. My original bezel was perfect except the chrome was all worn and it ended being cheaper to buy the repop bezel than to send mine out to have it redone.
There was a company at the Co-vention that rechromed bezels as well as other plastics and frankly their work looked terrible especially for the price. Glad I went with the repop bezel. Those are made for The Parts Places and sold by everyone.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you look on eBay? There is a ton of nice original and uncut dash bezel for half the cost. Nothing against repros, they look pretty good, but why pay much for a repro when you can have the real for less..

And one thing, the woodgrain will probably not match your console. Especially burl. Maybe you want to take care of it at the same time..

Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mesca thanks for the idea about EBay. I had not tried that and was surprised at the number available. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything but will pursue the used angle.

Rob, have you had any issues with your woodgrain peeling?

Thanks,

-Matt

Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST View Post
Mesca thanks for the idea about EBay. I had not tried that and was surprised at the number available. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything but will pursue the used angle.

Rob, have you had any issues with your woodgrain peeling?

Thanks,

-Matt
No, but I did use some Gorilla glue specifically around the edges because I have heard of the repo woodgrains not sticking well or "popping" at the area where the woodgrain folds under by the steering wheel. You can tell by the adhesive on the back that it probably wouldn't hold long term. Mine has been finished and in the car for a year now with no other issues.