THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

This photo is so cool on so many levels:

6) That is a really nice lookin' go cart; the kind Barcak and I used to dream about when we were growing up.

5) You've got the whole "cop pulls over kid on go cart" vibe going.

4) Nice Harley motorcycle photo.

3) Apparently taken in Dearborn, Michigan - which is of course where TomV hangs out (not far from where I'm sitting).

2) Requisite '57 Chevy in the background

and - the number one reason this photo is so cool -

1) The kid is wearing a helmet and the motorcycle cop isn't.

He also has an interesting sixgun for a biker cop. I guess if they got too far ahead that 8" barrel would help.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Late to the party, but I recently got a scan of this picture...

My grandfather driving his company's race car in 1921.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Did anyone have a bike like this? A friend of mine and a buddy made 2. You could see their heads over a UPS truck. I have no idea how they got on to ride them!

I snagged this photo and had my brother (he's a printer) make a nice 8x10 for framing. Awesome photo

Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple for the long weekend. Just keep the first one in mind if you will be on the road.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...and if you can guess the make of my grandpa's car, I'll buy you a beer.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
...and if you can guess the make of my grandpa's car, I'll buy you a beer.
Looks a lot like a Frontenac or Monroe. Gaston Chevrolet was killed in one like it.

BJ

Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No. Hints: Made in Germany, the grille was the company logo at the time, the company still exists but quit making cars in the late 20's

Old 04-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No. Hints: Made in Germany, the grille was the company logo at the time, the company still exists but quit making cars in the late 20's
Since there's a big "D" on the front of it, I'll guess Daimler.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, but they sold their car manufacturing the Mercedes in the late 20's. They were better known for their bicycles, motorcycles, scooters in Europe. They started with industrial sewing machines and make them to this day.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Dürkoppwerke AG ?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Here is a neat little Blown Pontiac altered out of Phoenix 1965

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple of neat ones from Republic Aviation. I worked at this airport as a mechanic, in the hangars in these pics.

XP-72 sitting in front of Hangar 2, which is the oldest hangar still on the airport and was one of the original structures used by Seversky Aircraft, which later became Republic. I used to service Cessnas right where this thing is parked.

The second pic with the XF-91A on the stands is also in Hangar 2. I spent 5 years working in and around that hangar, but it was filled with Piper Navajos, a Lear 25 and other GA type airplanes.

The 3rd pic shows an XR-12 Rainbow flanked by a P-47 and an RC-3 Seabee, in front of Hangar 3. I also work in this hangar once in a while. It is now the American Airpower Museum, and is once again filled with WWII era airplanes! The Rainbow still holds the speed record for 4 engine piston aircraft.

4th pic has an F-105, again parked in front of hangar 2

5th pic is hangar 2 in 1937, when it was part of the Seversky factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	republic207XP-72onground.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	242387   Click image for larger version

Name:	republic276XF-91Athroughshopdoors.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	242389   Click image for larger version

Name:	republic261RainbowP-47Seabeeongroun.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	242390   Click image for larger version

Name:	republic295F-105B1stacphotographing.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	242394   Click image for larger version

Name:	seversky013hangerca1937.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	242396  

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Last edited by Tripower455; 04-24-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
A couple of neat ones from Republic Aviation. I worked at this airport as a mechanic, in the hangars in these pics.

XP-72 sitting in front of Hangar 2, which is the oldest hangar still on the airport and was one of the original structures used by Seversky Aircraft, which later became Republic. I used to service Cessnas right where this thing is parked.

The second pic with the XF-91A on the stands is also in Hangar 2. I spent 5 years working in and around that hangar, but it was filled with Piper Navajos, a Lear 25 and other GA type airplanes.

The 3rd pic shows an XR-12 Rainbow flanked by a P-47 and an RC-3 Seabee, in front of Hangar 3. I also work in this hangar once in a while. It is now the American Airpower Museum, and is once again filled with WWII era airplanes! The Rainbow still holds the speed record for 4 engine piston aircraft.

4th pic has an F-105, again parked in front of hangar 2

5th pic is hangar 2 in 1937, when it was part of the Seversky factory.
Very cool pictures. That XP-72 looks like a cross between the Thunderbolt and a Mustang. The F-105 looks like it was painted in the Thunderbird paint scheme. I had never heard of the XR-12 but man what a cool looking plane. I can understand why it holds the speed record.

BJ

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Very cool pictures. That XP-72 looks like a cross between the Thunderbolt and a Mustang. The F-105 looks like it was painted in the Thunderbird paint scheme. I had never heard of the XR-12 but man what a cool looking plane. I can understand why it holds the speed record.

BJ

The XP-72 is basically a P-47 with a PW 4360 in it. It outperformed the P-47, but it never saw production, because the war effort needed airplanes as fast as they could be produced, and couldn't take the time to shut down the P-47 line and retool for the p-72. I think they only built 2 XP-72s. IOne of them had a contra rotating prop on it. None survive AFAIK.

The Rainbow was definitely a neat airplane that was about 5 years too late. After the war, they were gonna try to market it as an airliner, but all the surplus transports were so cheap, that they'd never compete.

BTW, when I worked at FRG, we had a Super Seabee on the certificate. I got a few hours in it with the VP of flight ops. Neat airplane!

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Dürkoppwerke AG ?
Correct! One of the the more obscure German automakers.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Christmas 1968. It was a good time to be a little kid. Totally oblivious to the racial tensions and Vietnam, etc of the day. My first Hot Wheels, still have most of my toys from childhood.
At the time, I thought the '68 GTO was the most beautiful car ever made. Still love them too and it is still one of the best cars ever made.

[/QUOTE

Hello Steve, Are you cool with me posting your Christmas Hot Wheels pictures on the Hot wheels web site? Those guys love to see old photos like that.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
Here is a neat little Blown Pontiac altered out of Phoenix 1965

Cool pic - I know its not but the Driver looks a lot like Val Kilmer and the guy next to him looks a bit like Lumpy from Leave it to Beaver .

Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Star Le Mans View Post
Christmas 1968. It was a good time to be a little kid. Totally oblivious to the racial tensions and Vietnam, etc of the day. My first Hot Wheels, still have most of my toys from childhood.
At the time, I thought the '68 GTO was the most beautiful car ever made. Still love them too and it is still one of the best cars ever made.
There is no telling how many similar photos are lying around in family Christmas photo albums around the country. I can still remember my first Hot Wheels track, the cars and how much fun we had with those things growing up. My first car was a green Lotus open-wheel Indy/Grand Prix racer.

BJ

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was ten in '68 and had a Hot Wheels set too. We used to set up the ramp on my neighbors front porch and race them. My first car was a '67 Cougar with redline tires. Hadn't thought of that in years.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Star Le Mans View Post

[/QUOTE

Hello Steve, Are you cool with me posting your Christmas Hot Wheels pictures on the Hot wheels web site? Those guys love to see old photos like that.
sure, thanks for asking. If that is something worth posting, go for it.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11