Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJUNTOM View Post
Sure it's not a '91?
I was tould it was a 95? Like i said i have never owned one, Is there a way i can tell what year it is? TKs.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, the NAME wagoneer migrated to what became the Cherokee Classic....the Wagoneers I am referring to the full size version, produced between 1963 and 1991.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Fortunately the high low transfer case from earlier Wagoneers is a bolt in so it's not that difficult to change over and put hubs on the front axle.
...so are you saying that a guy can convert away from Q-trac if he wants and therefore not have that weak link in the Wagon-chain?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 86's had a high/low transfer case as well. I think they were a New Process 262, the 231 was in the wrangler IIRC.

The Following User Says Thank You to boater bill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
...so are you saying that a guy can convert away from Q-trac if he wants and therefore not have that weak link in the Wagon-chain?
Yes Matt, The 73 truck I posted above originally had a 360 W/Q trac and when I was done had a 455 Pontiac with a regular transfer case and hubs. Lots less wear and tear on the front end and better fuel mileage. A much better vehicle after I was done with the conversion. If I remember correctly 73 was the first year for Quadratac and it was dropped after 79.

There are various transfer cases which will replace it both early and later depending upon which side the front drive shaft is on, Jeep switched it from right to left, not sure just what year though. Most likely 1980 when they dropped the Q trac.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thanks for the info, Brad !!!

Since it's gonna the wife's ride, something turn-key from the get-go is a must. Swapping out a Q-trac for locking hubs, etc., etc. is not how I want to begin things. As such, I think we're going after an '80 - '84.

As I am researching these machines, both the changes and the constants are pretty damn interesting. Also interesting is that production peaked between '78 and '79 and continued to fall from then on. Only 1500 were built in 1991, the last year of production.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt, they do have selectamatic hubs that you don't have to leave the vehicle and they engage when the 4 WD is engaged, no fuss no muss.

BTW I had a 81 6 cylinder Cherokee Chief (fullsize) and the maze of hoses and wiring under the hood is not user friendly at all. The emission devices were all over the thing. It was a project I bought (fire under the hood) and had good intentions of putting it back on the road but a divorce got in the way and I eneded up giving it to a friend of mine. Be aware also in the 80-84 era the 6 cyl engines had the casting severely lightened as well as nickel content decreased and as a result the cylinders went egg shaped prematurely and wore quickly as well.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 04-05-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had an 81 woody wagon and loved it. I converted it to propane and added a 3" lift kit and 33" tires. That think would crawl anywhere and do it in comfort. Cadilack of 4X4's. Still a pig on fuel though as they weigh so much. Never had a lick of problem with it.

My Dad had a 72 or 73 and yes the trans case is the weak link. I think he rebuilt the thing 3 times in less than 40k. Real peice of work. They like to rust in the rear wheel well behind the wheel, and yes the rear windows tend to wear out motors.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
I was tould it was a 95? Like i said i have never owned one, Is there a way i can tell what year it is? TKs.
I'm pretty sure '91 was the last year. I do know that there were some of the smaller Cherokee body styles that were called Wagoneers as well, but nothing like the big Wagoneers.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

You can find ones that are already modified if you look around. Something that has a mopar engine and an NP208 transfercase would be great. Look for one that has a 727 transmission also. Not going to be great on gas mileage with the 3speed, but it will be unstoppable.

More doors = more love!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a 1970 Jeep Gladiator J-3000 pickup truck. Neat truck.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the feedback, guys...I am starting a new thread in the Lobby to share a couple of pics of ...of ...our new Wagoneer!