Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 05 silverado gas guage problems

The gas guage in my 05 Chevy pick up is driving me nuts. When I fill up it would normally go a little past full. Last month it started going waay below full. One time the needle went 180 degrees past the half mark totally under the readout. After I drive 150 miles or so it will return to a normal position at 3/4 or so. ON the way home this month it read between half and a quarter and then the fuel light came on. I actualyl had about 5 gallons in it on a 25 gallon tank. My question is can this gas guage be replaced or do I need the whole instrument panel replaced. Or is there something I am missing. I just replaced the fuel pump last week and the problems are the same with each pump. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
The gas guage in my 05 Chevy pick up is driving me nuts. When I fill up it would normally go a little past full. Last month it started going waay below full. One time the needle went 180 degrees past the half mark totally under the readout. After I drive 150 miles or so it will return to a normal position at 3/4 or so. ON the way home this month it read between half and a quarter and then the fuel light came on. I actualyl had about 5 gallons in it on a 25 gallon tank. My question is can this gas guage be replaced or do I need the whole instrument panel replaced. Or is there something I am missing. I just replaced the fuel pump last week and the problems are the same with each pump. Any help would be appreciated.
Here ya go. I used them and they did excellent work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...item5addb486c0

$70 INCLUDES shipping BOTH ways

Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great response. Tells me all I need to know thanks Bigunde

Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Suspended

quit running it below a 1/4 tank and the fuel pump will last longer , they don't like to suck air and at a 1/4 they will , if you had the bucket out chances are the connection to the gauge is loose and the resistance is gettting to high , they have had alot of problems with the connectors on the top of the tanks with melting wires and corrosion .

Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never ever run below a quarter tank.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Did you just replace the pump or the whole module(sending unit incl.), If just the pump, I'd lean toward the fuel sender. Also, did the "check engine" come on while this was happening? If so, there is a TSB related to the problem. These GM trucks have had theire share of fuel sender/module problems.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3323983
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced the whole assembly no check engine lights on.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Ok, the system has 4 P codes related to your problem P0461-P0464, you should have or pull codes and see if any of these show up and then follow the troubleshooting for them.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK Dr. But I jumped the gun and have already sent off the cluster . I wil have to wait now to get it back and see how it does. Like an old mechanic told me once. Dont start fixin anything till you know whats wrong. Guess I forgot that information.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Ha, that was quick! Let us know what happens when you get it back, ya might get lucky!

If it doesn't fix it at least you can sleep well knowing you're not the first person to pay twice to fix it once

We've all been there!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 PM

ton of issues with the clusters in the 03-07 pickups. gm even has a tsb out on clusters with free replacement 7yr/70,000 mi and partial pay on 8yr/80,000 mi. the tsb is on erratic guages or false readings. the two guages that fault the most is the gas guase and the speedometer. at any given time we have a cluster or two waiting to go into trucks in service. and we are a fairly small dealership in the sceem of things. farm community so a lot of trucks around. cant remember tsb number off of the top of my head, but i have seen a ton of these. probably on the right track with a cluster fix. we get $225 for a rebuilt cluster with a 1yr unlimited mile warranty, so $70 seems like a fair deal if it is as good as they say.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will let you know if this fixes the problem late next week. I had no idea a gas gauge could throw a code.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Dash clusters are integrated into the BCM system and register codes. The guages operation can also be tested with a quality scanner.
Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 PM

I had this happen on my 03 sierra denali, I ended up replacing the little actuator motors on the back of the speedo myself, got the parts of ebay. Not too bad a deal to fix it, and it works great now. I went ahead and replaced all the servos on the cluster after hearing about the problem GM had (all the servos are the same for all the guages if I remember correctly). I am sure that service on ebay will work for you.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok my cluster came back to me today. I had just filled up and did about 80 miles or so and then put the cluster back in. It is registering jut below the full mark where I would expect it to be. So I am assuming all is well but the gauge read corrctly some times so a few days ought to be a good test. The guy was 100% on his word. I was told he would recieve it on Thursday when I shipped it and he said it would be back in 7 days from the day he gets it in. Today is Thursday. Any changes to my good news I will report back. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope that solves your problem. I had the same problem on my 04 Sierra a year or so ago and GM fixed it for free.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its been a week and all is well so I guess I lucked out and got it fixed. All the guages seem to be more accurate like the volt meter always stayed at 14 now it moves between 12.8 and 14.2 as I take off and land.