Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question HELP! 66 lock coding

Are there any qualified locksmiths that can instruct me on how to code this NOS uncoded console lock cylinder? A local key guy said while the key is in the cylinder carefully/slowly grind down all the brass lugs on both sides (not the silver one) untill flush. These older NOS cylinders are tough to find so I don't want to screw this up. Please provide "detailed" proper advice on how to do this.
Also after coding is there only one way this installs back into the case? THANK YOU in advance! Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Console Lock Cyl. (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	237080   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Console Lock Cyl. (2).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	237081   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Console Lock Cyl. (3).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	237082  

Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just went through this last fall with my 66. The ignition didn't turn smoothly so I went to a retire locksmith and he told me to the key # from the door lock and then he fix my ignition lock with new tumblers. My advice is find someone over 55-60 that knows oldtime locksmithing.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default lock coding

i went to my local gm dealer, they had a old hand key cutter, worked for me. jd grim

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd66 View Post
i went to my local gm dealer, they had a old hand key cutter, worked for me. jd grim
If I went to the local GM dealer I doubt that they would give me the time of day. If they did give me the time of day they'd probably charge me the minimum shop charge of $75.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Just find a local locksmith, they can work off of your orginal key. While a dealer may be able to cut a new key you need the tumblers matched to the key. I just had a new ignition switch matched to the original key and the cost was $20.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM

I also went to my GM dealer he had the tool just no keys, I gave him the blanks and he made my keys, NO charge!!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 PM

i had to recode the locks on my boss's 69 camaro last summer, no big deal. like most others have said, find a local locksmith and they shouldn't have a problem with it. i do alot better with these in my hands, than i can telling somebody how to do it by looking at pictures.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Mission Accomplished!

I tracked down an older lawn mower / locksmith shop and they took care of me. On a NOS "uncoded" cylinder such as mine you must insert the key and slowly grind down all the brass lugs (not the silver one as that holds the cylinder in it's case) on both sides until flush with the cylinder. Going slow is important so you don't overheat the small springs inside. Gently file off any small burrs, clean, small drop of light oil and install in case. Works perfect!
I want to THANK all the above who took the time to offer your help! Chris.